Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Advice: Electronic ear defence
  • willard

Slightly off topic, but I’m after a new set of ear defenders for shooting (shotguns and full-bore rifles, with the odd bit of full-bore pistol thrown in) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the electronic sort that both block loud noises _and_ allow you to hear what the range staff are saying to you.

I’m trying to really make an effort to retain what remains of my hearing, so they will get used a lot and on a lot of military ranges too, but may not necessarily need to take a headset for a PRR. That said, it might be a handy thing to have.

Anyway, recommendations welcome.

Sui
    Free Member

do you really need electronic? The £15 ear plugs with percussion caps have always worked well for me in the ranges, you can still hear the range staff, yet it blocks out the the high pitch percussion that you get from the muzzle.

Sui
    Free Member

Passive impulse filter is the term I was looking for!

Sui
    Free Member

buds

these things, they look like normal ear plugs, but they have a small copper (or something) filter inside which reacts with high intensity noise..

davetrave
    Free Member

Surefire Sonic Defenders

I don’t use the big muff type hearing protection, just these or the EP4 version (higher NRR rating). Picked my first set up from the Dutch PX in Kandahar in 2008, can now get them in the UK as per link. Unless you’ve been fitted for PIHP, which you haven’t (like me) by the sounds of things, I’d use these rather than spending a fortune on some fancy electronic Amplivox. They’ve protected my hearing fine over the years – range work and on ops firing a variety of firearms, including from inside vehicles (which is particulalry noisy), long journeys by SH and Tac AT and I still pass the hearing test with no issues whatsoever.

Before these I just used to use the yellow foam plugs, but even the current issue brown/yellow Christmas trees are pretty good – they have a small metal insert to help with speech recognition but block high volume noise.

EDIT: And they can be used with a PRR headset no problems or, I’m lead to believe, the harness that would normally fit PIHP…

willard

I do use something similar to those at the moment (SureFire EP4s or something) and they pretty much work, but having them in my ears constantly for the whole day is a bit of a pain. They are also less than fully effective if they come loose during a shoot with no time to re-seat them.

I like the comfort of the standard green Peltor cans, but can’t hear a damn thing with them on, so thought I would go for something that allowed me to be both comfortable and hear.

davetrave
    Free Member

So that rules out the in-ear stuff then…!

You probably want something like the Peltor S6 Tactical in that case – try speaking to your local friendly QM, you may be able to get some through the system…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If only there was a device available that would screen out the pervasive piped ‘music’ that irritates the **** out of me!

willard

The friendly local RQMS has seen fit to provide me with standard issue green cans and sees no reason why I should require anything else. Bless him. Besides, these will be used for civi shooting and RCO work as well as mil, so I can see them getting a lot of use.

I’d seen the 6s ones, they look pretty good for the money.

jools182
    Free Member

do they do them for neighbours dog barks?

👿

plyphon
    Free Member

I use these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B007TEQNAG

As a budget but decent ear protection when in nightclubs etc.

However these are what “the pro’s” use, but are much more expensive

http://www.etymotic.com/

but for those who value their ears, the cost is easily justifiable.

willard

Davetrave, my Surefires do work with PRR, but when you’re running around for long periods of time with them in have a habit of getting loose or hurting my ears when I try to re-seat them.

I hate the yellow/brown ones with a passion. Tried them before I mobbed once and had to go through a complete group and zero practice with a ringing head. I just can’t get on with them at all. I ended up going back to the green cans after that for all mil shooting.

Yellow foamies are ok, but only really get used in emergencies or when I’m trying to sleep in a room full of world-class snoring bastards.

willard

Just seen that Surefire doe a memory foam tipped version that could work. That might be next year’s treat to myself.

davetrave
    Free Member

You’ve clearly got funny ears then! Or check you’ve got the right size… Don’t really have any problems with mine, got them to replace the Christmas trees I got on first HERRICK tour, I concur with your assessment of their capabilities.

Had I been fitted for PIHP then I probably wouldn’t have bothered with the Surefires but I’ve not deployed as part of a formed unit, always as an IR (despite being Reg), since the intro of PHIP – although note, they’re being phased out being a UOR but will be replaced by a proper version as core sometime in the (near – yeah right) future. Anyhow, my missus was able to get some through the unit she last deployed with to replace my old ones…

sam_underhill

Just got some ACS pro 26 customs for riding my motorbike.

Really impressed by the ability to hold a conversation and then the wind noise is almost reduced to nothing even at “private road speeds”.

Drac

Errrmmm! We certainly don’t have them at work but if we did I wouldn’t be able to remember the make but I would be able to say they are very good. Of course we have no possible use for them what so ever, oh no.

willard

ACS: Bloody hell!

Davetrave, funny ears is most likely. I’ll have to see what size I have tonight and maybe go for another different one next time.

Drac, WTF?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Advice: Electronic ear defence’ is closed to new replies.