Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Adding new words to Wikipedia
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you can add a new word to wikipedia and give it a reasonably innocuous definition does that mean you can use it in the work place or polite conversation?

There is currently no Wiki entry for:

“Twunt” : A person with a contrary view often backed up by irrelevant, untrue or mis-applied rules.

For Example: ‘You can’t chain your bike to that bike holder it is illegal as there are double yellow lines on this road and you don’t pay road tax!’ may result in the following retort ‘Shut up you twunt!’

Any other useful words and definitions?
    Anyone want to add them to wikipedia?

PlopNofear
    Free Member

This is what Urban Dictionary is for…

GrahamS

Nope. You’ll most likely have it deleted and be blackmarked for vandalism.

Plus definition of words should really be something for Wiktionary, not Wikipedia.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Why would you want to add a word to a US web site? They struggle with English as it is!

AlasdairMc

Strangely the Edinburgh Defence is still on Wikipedia…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What is the English equivalent?

I just want some kind of defence in case I get pulled up on a disciplinary. “Look Guv, he may have taken offence but that is because he didn’t understand what the word meant. I wasn’t being rude, just providing feedback. It is clear what I meant, it is even listed in the dictionary/internet”

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It is a made up word to get around internet swear filters, being a portmanteau of **** and ****.

But then you already know that, don’t you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

twunt has been around a lot longer than the internet

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No, I sincerely believe that it is a valid word meaning : A person with a contrary view often backed up by irrelevant, untrue or mis-applied rules.

Both me and the union rep will swear to that if necessary.

RustySpanner

AlasdairMc – Member

Strangely the Edinburgh Defence is still on Wikipedia…

Fame at last!
    As the originator, I feel I should be credited somehow. 😀

And I still haven’t received any commission from the sales of ‘Pastry Positive’ t shirts. 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wiki suggests “jme1973” was the originator, yet your profile address suggests a DoB of ’69 – are we to believe you? 😀

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

To everyone else bar you, your rep and Jeremy it’s a cheeky inoffensive swear word. But good luck anyway!

RustySpanner

coffeking, I didn’t post the Wiki entry, but did come up with the phrase, whist attempting to take the piss out of Cynic Al in a thread on here some time ago. 😀

wwaswas

‘hora’ used to be on Wikipedia. He’s gone now, though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

coffeking, I didn’t post the Wiki entry, but did come up with the phrase, whist attempting to take the piss out of Cynic Al in a thread on here some time ago.

Ahh, fair enough! Internet stalking over for the day 🙂

Helios
    Free Member

radtothepowerofsik – Member

It is a made up word to get around internet swear filters, being a portmanteau of **** and ****.

[pedant mode] It’s not technically a portmanteau, as the meanings of the two words that have been compounded are not merged to create the meaning of the new word. In this case it wouldn’t be possible to do so in any case, as they’re both pejorative terms for the same thing. [/pedant mode]

GrahamS

Yep, if you want a sweary portmanteau then you are better off with “cunstard” 😀

Cougar

then you are better off with “cunstard”

As found in particularly vulgar trifles. Best not ask about the ‘cream’ or the ‘spongy jelly’.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Adding new words to Wikipedia’ is closed to new replies.