Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Adding gears to Hope SS hub
  • Clink

Thinking of adding a small cassette to Hope SS hub on my 29er(I know – but want to try it, so don't try and dissuade me!). Read up a bit on mtbr, but getting confused on suitable cassettes etc. I know the main part of an XT cassette will fit (17-34) but I want higher gearing – more 11 or 12 to mid/high 20's. Apparently you can use road or mtb cassettes. I've got a Middleburn uno crank 32t and short/medium xt rear mech if that makes any difference.

Any advice appreciated!

JoeNation
    Free Member

Tiagra 9 speed cassettes can be split open (there are 3 little rivets that need the end grinding off with a dremel). Then you can use whatever cogs you want, although the shift won't be perfect if you add or remove cogs in the middle (shifting ramps and all). They come in a pretty good range, 11-27 is the biggest I think. Not sure if Deore cassettes do the same, but they might.

Clink

Thanks JN. Anyone actually given it a go on a Hope hub?

Andy

The other consideration is that if its an alloy freewheel then the narrow individual 9 sp cogs of a cassette will score the carrier. You could try the Groove armadas from On one as these are designed to be built up into a cassette if needs.

Clink

You could try the Groove armadas from On one as these are designed to be built up into a cassette if needs.

But expensive and heavy??

oxym0r0n

The other consideration is that if its an alloy freewheel then the narrow individual 9 sp cogs of a cassette will score the carrier.

Not a problem, as it's a steel freehub.

It's a SS/trials hub, so might be worth asking someone who has a bit more trials expertise ala Tarty bikes or something?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Weird, just did this this afternoon. Now I'm pregnant I'm not hardcore enough for my ss, so have popped 6 gears on.

I just split apart a Sram 970 cassette (hubby used an LX cassette when he did it a while) and took out every third sprocket so leaving the 2 hardest gears. Just tried it around the block and it seems great, got a couple of faster gears, a couple of medium pootling gears and two winching up hills gears. Ideal.

Hubby just said to remind you that you'll need to pop a 1mm spacer on the spoke end of the hub. Other than that it's very straightforward.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Btw, even though its a steel freehub bidy, it might score the cassette a bit. Worth it though imo.

Anthony
    Free Member

It's just a short freehub body, what is there not to work? As long as you can get the cogs to build up to the correct overall width your laughing.

Clink

Brill. I'll give it a go then 😀

Clink

..oh and congratulations btw!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks! And yeah, re the hub, go for it – it looks pretty sweet too! (Give us a shout if you have any probs, but I'm sure you'll be fine). Cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Adding gears to Hope SS hub’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM