Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Access Rights
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Hi all…. I’ve been asking about access to some woodland and have received this reply. It would be great for a trail if only they saw that it is currently not maintained and overgrown, even for walkers..any ideas on a reply.

Thank you for your email and the interest you have in ******* Woods.

******* Wood is private woodlands owned by the descendants of *** *****. All tenants of ****** have permission to walk through the woods and enjoy the natural beauty. From time to time people write to us asking permission to walk there and provided they respect the surroundings, permission is usually granted. ******* School and the local Scout Group also have access from time to time for Natural History Studies.

Unfortunately we are unable to allow access to cyclists or motor cyclists due to the damage they have caused in the past, in the disturbance of the habitat and wildlife of the area. They can also be a prospective hazard to people walking through the woods.

We are quite happy to give you along with other non-residents permission to walk through the woods and enjoy its natural beauty.

jam-bo

Thanks for your time and I respect your views.

ps. after dark anything is game.

legend
    Free Member

ps. after dark anything is game.

Only if the windows are open

benjii19
    Free Member

maybe a respect your views would be better than this reply???

Thank you for your reply. I value that this is private woodland hence my interest in writing to you. I appreciate that certain people can and will cause damage to the natural woodland and the health and safety aspects with walkers and cycles sharing the same paths. ****** has some great scenery as it is part of a valley that holds some valuable wildlife which is what makes it such a special piece of woodland.

Typically mountain biking is a sport where people take in their surroundings and maintain the trails they ride. Unfortunately there will always be people who do not respect this as is the same with walkers. Would there be a chance of meeting to discuss the merits of a trail, with an agreement that we ride at our own risk/ away from main walking tracks? I am part of a local riding group who would like to open our options for riding and feel ****** is the perfect spot, however we would not dare tread without consultation with yourselves. I completely understand if this is still a “no” but hope you don’t mind me asking.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just ride it.

benjii19
    Free Member

I would ride it if walkers hadn’t blocked all the paths with logs.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I find that walkers and Forest staff do this regularly at Woburn, on the more hidden stuff. I usually take the time to move them and they don’t reappear for a few months.

z1ppy

just keep unblocking the one that actual can’t be ridden over, they give up eventually IME 😈

scottfitz
    Free Member

damage they have caused in the past, in the disturbance of the habitat and wildlife of the area.

Clearing scrub, creating path and disturbing soil is great for lots of species, including endanger species.

benjii19
    Free Member

So basically asking for permission is pointless. Time to start digging at 2am when nobodies around.

BoardinBob

Perfect excuse to learn how to bunny hop properly

benjii19
    Free Member

Perfect excuse to learn how to bunny hop properly

I need every excuse to bunnyhop. I’m not much good uphill though!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Try your second letter, maybe polite persistence will win them over.

However:

So basically asking for permission is pointless. Time to start digging at 2am when nobodies around.

It’s not pointless but sometimes you have to accept that some people will say no, sometimes. You can either choose to respect this and move on or do something cheeky.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“thanks you for blah blah and I respect your position…

I understand and agree regarding the negative impact of off-road motorbikes, but would like the opportunity to demonstrate that occasional use by off-road bicycles has no more impact than use by pedestrians, and certainly less impact than walking dogs. Would you agree to meet (when and where), perhaps bring an off-road bicycle so that we can ride together and I can readily demonstrate what I mean?

yours blah blah”

ndthornton
    Free Member

damage they have caused in the past, in the disturbance of the habitat and wildlife of the area.

I love this one – riding a bike on an existing path damages the environment but the creation of the path in the first place – by walkers, for walking – is not damage.

great

seosamh77
    Free Member

If you follow these silly laws, they will always exist.

benjii19
    Free Member

very true seosamh77

I reckon I’ll still ride it was just trying to see if i could get a proper trail going nothing major just clearing a path and making a couple of little drops etc.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I would ride it, but don’t dig it, quickest way to really pee people off. They’ll probably turn a blind eye to the occasional bike using it, but start digging and they’ll get the ike.

I can understand their point. If you give an inch people take a mile. I don’t mean you OP, but a lot do. At Woburn the Duke of Bedford allows MTB’ing on a lot of his land, he even lets you dig in designated areas, there’s some great dirt jumps etc. But people started nailing stuff to living trees a while back which (rightly) just pissed him off. Someone even fashioned some northshore by breaking up the panels from a picket fence the estate had erected. Quickest way to get MTB’s banned. Luckily now people know the score and behave..in the most part.

butcher

I would just condense the reply down into: we’ll be really, really, really good?

That might do it.

benjii19
    Free Member

Here we go, the reply from the guardians of the woods. Ah well you can only ask.

I am sorry that I am unable to help you at the moment. I appreciate that the woods are lovely and you would enjoy cycling there. Unfortunately there are various types of cyclists and some would be very respectful of their surroundings, but there are a lot of youths on bikes who cause havoc, as we have experienced over the years. I am unable to let in one group without opening the door to all the others. From time to time the police bikers go in and apprehend any cyclists they find. It is a case that the nuisance element spoil it for the rest.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can I ride my motor bike on your lawn please?

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s always the youths, hey

whatnobeer
    Free Member

From time to time the police bikers go in and apprehend any cyclists they find.

Out of interest, what law would they do that under? Trespass? I thought that was only a civil offence so you could be sued but not arrested?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

From time to time the police bikers go in and apprehend any cyclists they find

Bullshine. Exactly what law would be being broken?!!!!

benjii19
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a police biker in the area……Ever

D0NK

I am unable to let in one group without opening the door to all the others.

well yes you can you can give explicit permission to a few people

From time to time the police bikers go in and apprehend any cyclists they find.

and here’s a little something I made up to try to scare you off from riding

It is a case that the nuisance element spoil it for the rest.

so will the nuisance element of dog walkers who leave shit everywhere cause all walkers to be banned? (or even just dog walking)

Pook

Listerdale?

benjii19
    Free Member

You may be on to it pook

fasgadh
    Free Member

For me this says it all….

“******* Wood is private woodlands owned by the descendants of *** *****. All tenants of ****** have permission to walk through the woods and enjoy the natural beauty. “

i.e. Your Norman Overlords may on times when they see fit grant a boon.

I think the police references are to motorcycles which may be covered by criminal law as opposed to trespass.

Pook

The woman who owns it lives in a fake castle – turrets, archer slits, the lot. Says it all really.

csb

If I owned a tranquil woodland I wouldn’t let all and sundry use it. Your intentions don’t seem to offer much to them in the way of woodland upkeep, except to meet your access purposes.

Edric64
    Free Member

Agree with the above if I won the lottery and bought a nice bit of woodland I wouldnt want everyone using it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Access Rights’ is closed to new replies.