• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by oink1.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Abandoned bike and a little bit of faith in humanity
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Four days ago or so, someone left a bike outside the village shop. It’s nothing special, an old Real hybrid in slightly shonky condition, but it’s a bike, and looks mechanically sound. No lock, just left there.

No one has taken it. This restores a little bit of faith in humanity, as people have left it as it’s not theirs. At least that’s how I’ve chosen to read the situation.

However, it’s got me thinking….how long should it stay? Am thinking that if it isn’t claimed eventually, I could take it in, spruce it up a little and find a suitable charitable cause for it. Is there a time limit?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Take it home and leave a passive aggressive post it note in it’s place, instructing the owner not to leave bikes there?

Rubber_Buccaneer

how long should it stay?

Until some scrote tries to walk off with it, it’s a sting operation.

curto80
    Free Member

So you’re so impressed that no-one has nicked it that you’re, er, going to nick it?

Distinction between appropriating abandoned property and theft is a bit of a minefield legally. No objective time limit or anything like that. I wouldn’t do what you are suggesting tbh without informing the police, just not worth the risk. You could take it in or just stick a lock on it for the time being and report it, on the basis you’ve taken it in/locked-it to prevent its theft.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Trade it in at Evans or Hargroves for a discount off a new bike, banger goes to charity.

DezB
    Free Member

The owner has been kidnapped by the village shop owner and is now in their gimp trunk in the basement.
    So yeah, have the bike, they won’t need it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Curto, wasn’t planning on just taking it! More wondering how long before informing police, and/or going for the lock/note options.

After which I’d go down the refurbishment and donation route.

devash
    Free Member

Is it a “local shop for local people”? If so, DezB probably hit the nail on the head.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I would put it somewhere safe and leave a note. And tell the police, it might have been stolen from elsewhere and abandoned there.

zippykona

You think that makes your area posher than mine?
    Someone has left a matress.a fridge and half a ton of rubble in my front garden.
    A year later its still there Mr Captain Fancy pants.

prawny

@zippy Ha, round my way someone has left an E class merc for weeks and no one has touched it. Ok it’s upside down and been on fire, but it’s not locked.

martinhutch

It’s clearly an art installation or social experiment. Your checking out and possible removal of the bike will be filmed and turned into an examination of opportunistic theft within affluent communities. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Inform the police that you’re taking it home for safekeeping.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quite possibly it’s been nicked and left there, owner is not aware.

Inform teh filth.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @zippy!

mark d
    Free Member

Someone may have ridden it there, gone to the pub, and got a taxi home.
    Woke up next day thinking ‘****, where is my bike)?
    Take bike for safekeeping and leave a message.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Do you live in Royston Vasey?

mark d
    Free Member

Not that the above has ever happened to me….

funkmasterp

Take it but replace it with something of equal worth. Perhaps an old fridge or other white goods. You can start an impromptu swap shop!

jamesoz

Someone may have ridden it there, gone to the pub, and got a taxi home.
    Woke up next day thinking ‘****, where is my bike)?

Ha, did exactly that myself. Was amazed to find my Cinder Cone still outside the Kebab shop the following day.

eulach

cynic-al – are you in fact Neil from the Young Ones?

allan23
    Free Member

Is there a bike race going past anytime in the near future?

Shop owner could be a bit miffed when his can of yellow paint arrives and the bike has gone.

oink1
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    The owner has been kidnapped by the village shop owner and is now in their gimp trunk in the basement.
    So yeah, have the bike, they won’t need it.

😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Abandoned bike and a little bit of faith in humanity’ is closed to new replies.