Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • A thanks to Hora thread :)
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Considering how many times Hora has swapped out his bikes, I thought I’d post up my ex-Hora bike.

It’s been all around the Highlands, Skye, Torridon, lots of Scotland, to the Alps.

And it’s been awesomem, so thanks for being so fickle Hora 🙂

Cheers

Ricks

jamj1974

Looks great!

khani
    Free Member

Looks great 😀 is it a medium?..

bigbloke
    Free Member

😆

Lifer
    Free Member

This could possibly be the longest thread evar

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    Do we know what massive fault with it made him part with the bike in the first place?

plus-one

Hora…. Hurry up and buy a 17-18″ lovely steel 29’r ss… I really want one 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But did you pay more for it than he did?

rickon
    Free Member

Its a large, but its a small large 🙂

I think he felt it was nervous on steep descents, but I find it incredibly capable on technical stuff.

I also paid more than he thought I should have done from the second owner. But… Its been worth every penny for me.

I’m just glad Hora likes swapping out his bikes 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Plus one – its Clink you should keep and eye on then.

He’s bought bikes and sold them on without even building them up!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I think Clink just fancies the postman ……..or he just like large cardboard boxes to play with …bit like a 5yr old 😆

razorrazoo

I think he felt it was nervous on steep descents, but I find it incredibly capable on technical stuff.

Last thing I’d describe my spot as is nervous, but each to their own.

twang
    Free Member

Ex Hora 456, frame only, never built up by His Royal Awesomeness

Dark-Side

You should have an annual ride out for all Hora’s ‘ex’s’. If you can find somewhere with a big enough car park.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

plus one – Member

Hora…. Hurry up and buy a 17-18″ lovely steel 29’r ss… I really want one

Not mine, but a peach of an Indy Fab currently under £90

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360757143981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you can find somewhere with a big enough car park.

Surely we should ride them further than he did?

plus-one

Shit I feel a new frame purchase coming on !!!!! Doghouse again cheers mcmoonter 😉

fieldy
    Free Member

And here’s the Enduro frame that he couldn’t get on with….

Sold it now though:(

[/URL]

hora
    Free Member

I said the red 5spot with std headtube was nervous. The black warranty replacement in better geo ^ was waaay better. Almost night/day.

Does it still have the offset bush in the shock? (I only put one in)

rickon
    Free Member

Nope, I did think it would, but it doesn’t – other chap must had removed it. Feels very neutral for me with the setup I’ve got. It’s done quite a few miles since I’ve had it, and is just lovely, so I’m proper glad you didn’t get on *that* well with it 🙂

Pook

Christ I thought you were still banned?

hora
    Free Member

Matrix I thought you were..

Dead?

Dark-Side

Junkyard – lazarus
    If you can find somewhere with a big enough car park.

Surely we should ride them further than he did?

😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Was Hora’s red 5 spot a medium or a large?

I have bought a large Flux frame to compare to my 2009 medium Flux frame.

The geometry is exactly the same but the fit is obviously a little different – I am also using a 25mm shorter stem and the bars are wider by about a grips width.

The ride is very different, similar to the changes Hora describes and the large is much more like the 5 spot I tested – more stable and ‘point-and-shoot’.

All components bar the stem/bars/frame are the same.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Did anyone on here end up with this?

Submitted by Mark Horacek a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths: Its a RM9. You do daft things on it that no one could pay you to do on another bike.

Weaknesses: Its very very heavy. When I switch to my lightweight Vertex I feel sudden superhuman strength

Bottom Line:
    Its a huge red double-decker bus when you shove it over the edge of a cliff that stops in seconds with the help of massive disc brakes. Check it out on Ebay now (item# 1813441371)

rickon
    Free Member

Turnerguy…

Did you buy a 2011 onwards Flux? The headangle is about 3 degrees slacker, the headtube is lower, and is 44mm, so you can fit inset cups – so the front end is lower, and still slacker.

This means that it’s low and slack, so it’s stable, hugs the ground and isn’t twitchy.

I did have a 2009 Flux, which to be honest I didn’t think felt that much different to the Spot, just a bit quicker.

Of all the bikes I’ve owned or ridden (about 20… 😯 ) the three Turners have been by far my favourite.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m loving the bb height and head angle of the RM 😯

lowey

mmm lovely turner…

He is barking though when it comes to bikes.

Harmless in RL though. 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So Hora was a big hucker back in the day?

Bet he makes the Redbull Rampagers look like amateurs.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hi rickon,

It is the frame that sig123 was trying to sell, with a 2010 rear end and a 2012 front triangle.

I didn’t realise it was slacker, I will have a look at the charts.

I am running an insert headset so it has a low stack height.

Thought about getting a spot but that would mean that I would have to ride bigger stuff to justify it!

Dango
    Free Member

So Hora was a big hucker back in the day?

Bet he makes the Redbull Rampagers look like amateurs.

The Peaslake ‘drop’ he did back in the day, or not

Slight roll into a few inches of drop/roll onto tarmac

Denied:

^^^^HORA, hanging his head in shame^^^^

razorrazoo

Did anyone on here end up with this?

Submitted by Mark Horacek a Cross Country Rider from London, UK
    Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths: Its a RM9. You do daft things on it that no one could pay you to do on another bike.

Weaknesses: Its very very heavy. When I switch to my lightweight Vertex I feel sudden superhuman strength

Bottom Line:
    Its a huge red double-decker bus when you shove it over the edge of a cliff that stops in seconds with the help of massive disc brakes. Check it out on Ebay now (item# 1813441371)

I had a friend who bought one of these frames off eBay (a red one too), so maybe, just maybe…..

It cracked in the end I think. Was one fugly looking bike that was.

hora
    Free Member

I wonder what happened to that Yeti cycles tshirt. Funny that, you loose clothes and only remember them when you see an old pic.

rickon
    Free Member

Turnerguy – Yep that’ll be the reason then:

– Lower front end
    – Slack HA
    – Lower BB
    – Longer reach
    – Shorter Stem
    – Wider bars (?) I’m guessing if you’re running a shorter stem then you’ll have wider bars to get better leverage

All that adds up to a much more stable bike, all small changes really, but all together they’re huge in difference 🙂

Loved the Flux, just couldn’t handle the mud clearance for the rear.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hi rickon,

you sure about those changes on the Flux ?

I know the spot had that sort of change but I can’t find any mention of that scale of changes for the Flux.

Here’s DT describing the changes:

http://www.nbbikes.com/index.php/fresh-dirt/turner-2012-bike-lineup-and-update-on-rfx-mtbr-coverage.html from 6:30 for the Flux.

All the geometry charts I see keep the same numbers as the 2009 version, certainly for 2011, except maybe a small BB height change when they started using 120mm forks as standard instead of 100mm.

My stack height is the same as for my medium as my medium doesn’t have the inset headset and the stack height difference in the headsets is therefore only about 1mm more on the 2012.

So I only think it is the length of the frame that is different, plus 85mm instead of 110mm steam and the bars are wider by about a grips worth each side.

hora
    Free Member

Twang are you coming out to play this weekend. You missed a belter in Snowdon 🙁

TheSanityAssassin

I’m just waiting for Ton to get himself a nice full carbon 29er XC race bike that he doesn’t get on with after 10 minutes 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

This isn’t very kind. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yep, no slackening on the 2012 flux, here’s the geometry chart:

http://www.turnerbikes.com/2012-turner-bike-models/flux

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘A thanks to Hora thread :)’ is closed to new replies.