Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A sad day… it finally died
  • Wozza
    Free Member

Clicky

Just had some sad news…

I'll be raising a glass to my dear departed friend.

Olly
    Free Member

he he.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

'GT doesn't have any gifts yet'

Poor, poor GT…

2hottie
    Free Member

My soul mate is dead!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Best bike I ever owned that Zaskar. However when I threw it over a wall when it stopped working was a low point! I will also be in that glass raising bro!

Dobbo

I think Elizabeth Scott summed it up beautifully:-

3RD OCTOBER 2009Gone Are the Days

*?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?*

Gone are the days we used to share,
    But in our hearts you are always there;
    The gates of memory will never close,
    We miss you more than anyone knows;
    With tender love and deep regret,
    We who love you will never forget.

*?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?* *?*

Poor Elizabeth-Scott she seems to know an awful lot of people that have kick the bucket.

Wozza
    Free Member

Just had an email off a mate…

"theres a funny story about that site. Its owned by **** who owns Mission, Fibre etc.

The site became really popular so he thought he would start putting adverts on the site to make abit of cash.

So off he went to google adverts to get it all sorted.

What he didn't realise is that google adverts linked to topics on the page.

So people who put memorials on the site for say someone who died from a motorbike crash were getting adverts to buy motorbikes lol

q lots of complaints

DOH!!"

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry, this memorial has been removed.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think that site may be strange, shallow and creepy. But that may simply mean that I'm an emotionally retarded luddite. It's so hard to know… 😯

Wozza
    Free Member

I think someone with no sense of irony got upset… "GET A LIFE"

So i'd like STW to host my tribute.

Gt "Danger" Zaskar
    1998 – 2009
    Location Leeds/Manchester
    Age 11 years
    Cause of Death Misadventure
    Date of Birth 05/10/1998
    Date of Death 05/10/2009
    Visitors 297 since 05/10/2009

Well… this day was going to come eventually! The Zaskar has died!

Originally bought by a fella from Chorley, it got it's first injury in 1998 about 6 weeks after he bought it. He was polishing it, (the bike 😉 ) on the sofa and dropped it, putting the massive dent in the downtube.

Being a ponce, he couldn't handle it, so Scott willing to take a chance (mostly due to deliberately destroying his GT Outpost) bought it off him for a few quid and the Zaskar joined our family.

Built up with a mismatch of Alivio and STX RC, it was a pain from day one, compounded by the massive 30mm of travel on the RST 261 he fitted. We soon discovered that RST stood for "Really Shyte Travel". Illustrated perfectly during the "Big Chipping Crash of 1999". Scott stacked it at about 30mph downhill. So we fitted some 80mm Z4 bombers.

This began the "wonder years" for the Zaskar where Scott would regularly dick full sussers downhill on it. It was ace, upgrading most of it to XT, hope wheels, Pace forks and M4 Disc with an XTR V.

It climbed like a bitch and descended silly fast. Top bike!

But then came the dark ages…

The XT Hollowtech 1 crank wouldn't come out and it was sent to the bike bike bin in the sky… located conveniently in mum and dads garage loft.

It was in 2007 that we dug it out and decided to spend a weekend fixing it up…

2 days, 3 hammers, 2litres or degreaser and some swearing later the Zaskar was reborn!

I took it out for a week and liked it more than the M4 hardtail and it was still stupid fast, even as an 8 speed!

But the bad times were about to get worse for the Zaskar! I said Hannah could have it.

So 6 months down the line, she'd still not ridden it and some nights i used to just ride it round the flat to keep it happy… it was like when people keep wild animals as pets… not a good time!!

Luckily i got binned. And there's one thing you do when you get binned gents… and that keep your bloody bike.

Conveniently, Dave needed a bike and the Zaskar achieved what Jackko couldn't and made a successful comeback tour.

Sadly, like Jackko, this was short lived, and the poor Zaskar had it's killer blow!

Turns out the BB was the end of the Zaskar.

I'm going to get it cleaned up and mounted into a frame as a testament to what a real bike is… i doubt any of ours will last as long as this legend.

Next ride is dedicated to our departed friend.

RIP Zaskar.

edd

Sadly, like Jackko, this was short lived, and the poor Zaskar had it's killer blow!

Genius

Gary_C

Sorry, this memorial has been removed.

That site has probably got the stw mods working for them…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A sad day… it finally died’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM