Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • A rule of thumb & some advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Most threads >1 page long will by then have become arguments.

So those of you who whine about folk arguing on here (which, believe it or not, does not mitigate the arguing!) can avoid them and let the big-hitters get on with it.

OK?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope. I can think of numerous threads that are over 1 page long that don’t contain arguments.

Once a thread is over 3 pages someone should post a summary post though to save me reading all of yous twaddle though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK 3 pages long.

Your proposal is FAIL – there would be arguments about the summary.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not if they make me a moderator and give me responsibility for writing the summary…

Ahh, then I’d have to read all the rubbish before wouldn’t I?

Hmmm…

I don’t have a plan B so it’ll have to work.

brakes
    Free Member

are you going for the STW ‘most banal threads’ prize or something?

hilldodger
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Most threads >1 page long will by then have become arguments

cynic-al
    Free Member

brakes if you don’t like my pithy comment on the microcosm that is stw then I pity you.

Apparently it is “real life” don’t you know.

jon1973
    Free Member

Your proposal is FAIL – there would be arguments about the summary.

So ironically, this has decended in to an argument by the third post on the fisrt page. Rule of thumb FAIL 😉

djglover
    Free Member

It’s pretty much true of any thread on any forum ever.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

jon1973… it’s not really an argument is it?

McHamish
    Free Member

Perhaps we can have a flag attached to a thread to indicate when certain people have contributed to a thread (or started a thread) so that we know when it is more likely to become an argument or contain drivel.

I know who I would add to that list of ‘certain people’.

highclimber
    Free Member

…so that we know when it is more likely to become an argument or contain drivel

are they not usually the same thing where STW goes?

brakes
    Free Member

You probably think Alanis Morissette is ironic though

the intention of the song could have been ironic though.
    in that it’s called ‘ironic’ but what it talks about is not ironic, therefore the song is deliberately ironic.
    and shit.

jon1973
    Free Member

jon1973… it’s not really an argument is it?

yes it is, stop being argumentative.

cynic-al
    Free Member

McHamish – Member
    I know who I would add to that list of ‘certain people’.

Oh do share…

JEngledow
    Free Member

Are the ‘sick as a dog bivy’ and ‘best picture you’ve taken in last month’ threads the exceptions to this rule or have they deteriorated to arguments too?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The iDave diet thread is plenty long enough without argument – just general mickey taking, information and jollity all in one thread…so OP = FAIL. And not for the first or last time either. cynic-al = FAIL

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s happened to that thread Darcy?

I had an iDiet compliant omelette last night. Eggs and iDave. I couldn’t have been happier 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Eggs and iDave.

I’ve been eating lots of omelette and chips. iDave Diet FAIL.

And I’m frecking huge.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i have eggs every morning now thanks to iDave/Jamie but then i completely un-iDiet it for the rest of the day, i might as well inject dough into my veins and breath sugar

hilldodger
    Free Member

The ‘long threads without nasty arguments’ are usually characterised by the lack of participation of certain posters…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil is that breath in or out…

I’m going to make a lentil thing I saw Rick Stein making last night for tea tonight. Might even add some prawns and chorizio.

TSY

(Get thin or die trying)

Mantastic
    Free Member

“The big hitters…” should you not say “the children”?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why not just have a “Big Hitters” area of the forumlike..

Mere mortals like me can knock on the door to be let in, or not, by a “Big Hitter”.

We can have out 1 pager question threads..

THe “Big Hitters” can rage and rant for multiple pages without being bothered by us mere mortals..

Just a thought..knock, knock

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The ‘long threads without nasty arguments’ are usually characterised by the lack of participation of certain posters…..

QFT

Peyote
    Free Member

yes it is, stop being argumentative.

That’s more of a contradiction surely? An argument is a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says (as someone famous once said). 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    The iDave diet thread is plenty long enough without argument – just general mickey taking, information and jollity all in one thread…so OP = FAIL. And not for the first or last time either. cynic-al = FAIL

Did you read the OP?

cynic-al – Member
    [u]Most[/i][/u] threads >1 page long will by then have become arguments.

Oh dear, not for the first time, “deadly” darcey = FAIL 🙁

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Perhaps there could be an icon for when fred, tj, al etc… have posted more than twice in a thread, therefore giving away that it’s an argument? Perhaps said icon could be several “z”s in a row?

pedalhead
    Free Member

this thread is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just giving you an example and pulling your leg OP. As usual, you’re taking it all a bit seriously. Can you define “most”? Then we can start again.

I’d say though, to be fair, most of your threads end up as arguments. Why do you think that is?

(Spelling FAIL btw…another one for you)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh, but I like some of the longer threads, knock, knock, so I’ll need some inclination that and argument has taken place within said thread..

Perhaps a frequency of posts by “Big Hitters” perhaps.. You know, more than 5 posts in 10mins than a large red bunny hops across your screen, it’ll have to shout something like “angry thread in occurance” you know.. something like that would be good.

Don’t forget there are kids on here.. so arming the bunny with a gun or shouting verbal abuse wouldn’t be allowed. But we could come up with something.

Actually, in all honesty, I spot read moat long threads and do look for frequency of posteer when I scroll through, I get the jist of the thread quite quickly after tha.

Knock, knock

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d post less if they published our posting stats…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I did wonder one time…obviously on a day when I was spending too much time here…if we could get the mods to just once post a list of how many posts we’d all done. It’s not going to happen though is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Your proposal is FAIL

…and your memes are old, but waddyagonnado eh?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They used to run a top poster score count.

You know, more than 5 posts in 10mins than a large red bunny hops across your screen, it’ll have to shout something like “angry thread in occurance” you know.. something like that would be good.

fantastic idea – someone must be clever enough to make a script to do that – after all they did the killfile

cynic-al
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Just giving you an example and pulling your leg OP. As usual, you’re taking it all a bit seriously. Can you define “most”? Then we can start again.

I’d say though, to be fair, most of your threads end up as arguments. Why do you think that is?

(Spelling FAIL btw…another one for you)

I left the spelling in just for you!

And you think I’m taking this seriously?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I left the spelling in just for you!

And you think I’m taking this seriously?

Whatever Al…

Oh, you haven’t done the “Who are you?” thing yet 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Keep on believing!

Still no idea who you are

Kevevs
    Free Member

who cares! you make bikes out of spoons. you can’t control it Al, just… let… go!…

in fact, some of the more interesting threads come into their own once the big hitters have had their say and it dies down into something more genuine and all inclusive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Those threads sound shite.

Seriously though it’s all a piss take for me while bored at work, anyone who knows me in real life can confirm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘A rule of thumb & some advice’ is closed to new replies.