Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • a quick poll for any who might spare me a few seconds
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If some one made good indicator lights for a bike would you use them?

A simple yes or no would be grand if you don’t mind

An appended I’m a …. biker would be appreciated too if you can spare the time as I’m guessing most (if any) yeses will be from commuters and any one who considers them self “mtb only” will be a no (though I believe orange is soooo enduro at the moment so they may make the trail come alive)

Basically it’s a kickstarter project to do a lot of r and d on following my ride home in the dark last night. If it seems there might be a market then grand, but frankly getting it to a kickstarter-able stage is a lot of work from where I am now.

Thanks

Klunk
    Free Member

no

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No.

neilwheel
    Free Member

No.

Stoner
    Free Member

No. Decent gloves with a big patch of 3M scotchbright on the palm & back of them would be a goer though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

No

Yak

No. Stoner has the right idea though. Make your hands more visible.
    Flashing orange glove lights anyone? 😉

MSP

No, and I wouldn’t be so quick to accept Stoners style guidance either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Decent gloves with a big patch of 3M scotchbright on the palm & back of them would be a goer though.

Won’t really work on the palm, I think. The abrasion would be too much for the 3M. There are plenty of good gloves out there with Scotchlite on the back, though. Failing that, I’ve also used a Respro ankle band around my right wrist as additional viz. Right only, as it’s more important when indicating to move in to traffic, IMHO. One on the right wrist, one on the right ankle.

There have also been lots of attempts at making indicator gloves. Invariably they’re utter gash, sacrificing being a good glove for a few stupid LEDs.

Stoner
    Free Member

Actually, amend mine, I think a riding jacket with big strip (1″+ wide) of scothbrite tape down the front and back of the arm with an arrow at the cuffs would work even better.

teadrinker
    Free Member

no.

globalti
    Free Member

No. Why would I want to draw attention to myself when I’m out in my black trakkies and hoodie with no lights?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, Endura used to make an excellent pertex jacket with similar, called the Jaffa. Full length strips of 3M on both sleeves.

Anyone who’s driven a car behind someone wearing Altura Nightvision trews knows that reflective stuff REALLY works.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You mean the sort of thing sold by http://www.bicycleindicators.co.uk/?
    Nah

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes. But i would still want to be able to manually indicate as well.

lunge

No, reflective gloves are good but not indicators. I’m a roadie and a commuter BTW.

rene59
    Free Member

Hell no.

seosamh77
    Free Member

no.

connect2

No

aP
    Free Member

No. they’d be a pointless distraction.
    I ride 50-200 miles a week commuting in London, and road ride at weekends.
    Reflectives on extremities are a good idea, but I don’t think anyone has worked out how to place them so that you give coverage front, back and sides (as it were).

ChrisL

Maybe, for commuting. Define “good”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

but I don’t think anyone has worked out how to place them so that you give coverage front, back and sides (as it were).

See above.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Incidently, this is one of my pet hates about cyclists. Who the hell teaches people to stick their hand out and move into another lane without looking behind them? (I actually I saw some school teachers teaching some kids to do this the other week outside my flat, I was tempted to say something but I didn’t. but it’s not exclusive to children, people of all ages do it. It’s a bit mental if you ask me.)

Personally I’m surprised more cyclists don’t die horrible deaths because of this! We can put that down to driver awareness I suppose!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

MSP – doesn’t that picture belong in the “camel toe” thread?

jekkyl

nahhhhhhh

neilwheel
    Free Member

Who the hell teaches people to stick their hand out and move into another lane without looking behind them? (I actually I saw some school teachers teaching some kids to do this the other week outside my flat

That is not what the national standard for bike training teaches.
    A rider should check behind often and especially before changing direction.

I was tempted to say something but I didn’t.

You should have asked them if they were accredited.

seosamh77
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member
    That is not what the national standard for bike training teaches. A rider should check behind often and especially before changing direction.

Personally i only indicate if there’s a car behind me or that i know is close enough to notice me, otherwise all I do I look behind and make sure it’s safe…But like I say it’s not limited to children, it’s fairly common and I see loads doing it all the time on the commute. Too many people place an unfathomable faith in sticking a hand out.

neilwheel – Member
    You should have asked them if they were accredited.

aye, maybe should have, first question before the above would be, why weren’t they teaching them some bike handling skills firstly before taking them out on a public road, some of them were wobbily to say the least!

Whole thing struck me as lip service to teaching kids to ride bikes, can imagine the conversation before hand among them all… Right who wants to take the bike awareness classes, cue awkward looks all round..

seosamh77
    Free Member

For the OP, I can’t see indicators helping that in the slightest. I’d actually see them as a bad thing and encouraging the behavior I describe above.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    You mean the sort of thing sold by http://www.bicycleindicators.co.uk/

Very much not that sort of thing.

The lighted gloves idea really, though yes, that has associated problems – hence the need for work not just slapping an led on a glove.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ta for the input though folks

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For the OP, I can’t see indicators helping that in the slightest. I’d actually see them as a bad thing and encouraging the behavior I describe above.

You can’t fix stupid.

benji
    Free Member

Another no for you, or in the words of dragon’s den don’t waste any more of your money on this.

neilwheel
    Free Member

first question before the above would be, why weren’t they teaching them some bike handling skills firstly before taking them out on a public road, some of them were wobbily to say the least!

Couldn’t agree more. Again the national standard is to teach handling skills, use of gears and brakes all off road first.

As you say, if there is no one to signal to, why take your hands off of the bars?

chewkw
    Free Member

dangeourbrain – Member

If some one made good indicator lights for a bike would you use them?

Yes, only if the indicator lights are super doper innovative and cheap.

Yes, I want it cheap and good far east price. Not rip off Britain price. Did I say cheap and good? Not more than £5 per pair of indicator lights. Yes, you will manufacture it from far east dirt cheap.

Otherwise no
    , as I would rather wear a Santa Claus reflective tree suit … Also no if the bureaucrats are involved. i.e. they might push it out as law … bloody jobworth.

Thinking of it, it is a bit like the brake lights my friend made for his bike in the early 80s. I was very impressed with his brake lights as they actually worked. The lights were small and very bright.

😛

bigperm
    Free Member

No

DaRC_L

No…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

benji – Member
    … don’t waste any more of your money on this.

As I’m presently in company time I’m technically making money rather than spending (my own) at the moment, though judging from the pretty consistent responses above, the sentiment is correct.

wilburt
    Free Member

No not even if they worked perfectly and were cheap. There would always be people/kids without them whom would then be blamed for their own deaths due to not having indicators.

steve73
    Free Member

No but good reflective gloves and snap bands are a great idea

chewkw
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

No not even if they worked perfectly and were cheap. There would always be people/kids without them whom would then be blamed for their own deaths due to not having indicators.

Ya, some brain death jobworths will definitely pin the blame on cyclists without indicators that I am sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘a quick poll for any who might spare me a few seconds’ is closed to new replies.