Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A question for F1 fans… FW15…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

The FW15 is widely considered tobe the most technicaly advanced car so far, the fastest too, but was banned as it was to fast for the tracks.

If they had been allowed to cary on the development of these cars alongside the safety aspects where would we be now? Would they be massively faster? Would the racing be as intense? Would it have been better?

It’s been gone for near 20 years!

Discuss…

stylish
    Free Member

Its hard to say really, as the way the car develops downforce has changed alot, the floors are alot different now to when the FW15 was on track, wings are smaller (Rear). if you look back to the active suspension cars of that era, i would imagine damper technology is more advanced now than back then too.

I like to judge it by historic cars, take a 1960″s formula junior, (single seater 1000cc engine) they now develop more power than in period, run modern dampers, and tires with modern construction, thus making them alot faster now.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’d probbly have cars capable of doing 300+mph, which takes more slowing down, and stuff like barriers would have to be designed to withstand such impact. Plus, higher risk of death. Human bodies aren’t meant to come to a sudden rest from such speeds. Internal organs would get jellied. And bits would fly off cars at a much higher velocity.

ziggy
    Free Member

It’s all aero now, a modern F1 car would literally run rings round a 20 year old one. Although I’d like to see a current car with 1000+ bhp, imagine the lap times.

Thing that I really don’t like about modern F1 are all the gadgets, glad to see TC and ABS has gone, should be about the driver, sure technology should make a car faster, look at the vid below, mesmorising speed, can’t see many current F1 drivers doing the same, one handed gear changes round the corners and no power steering!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4pun6j0Fg[/video]

Zedsdead
    Free Member

But that’s my point Elf, the safety is now at the forefront. But they have never allowed that technology to be re-introduced. If they did….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter how much safety gear you have; a body stopping abruptly from high speeds will be subjected to massive internal forces which could crush organs, the brain being a rather important one. There’s a limit to just how dangerous the cars can be, and the rules keep things well within that, for obvious reasons. Of course there has to be the danger element, that’s all part of the appeal, but within reason.

glenh
    Free Member

Was that just a sensible post from Elfin?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m sorry I’ve not bin well. 😳

Bez

Ban wings, make everything else much less restricted… as the speeds creep up, cut them back by limiting the engine capacity. Sorted.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

It’s one of those situations where it’s almost pointless speculating. Governing bodies has throughout history banned certain technologies as the cars were too fast (with ground effect bodywork the drivers were passing out from the G-forces at times), and all that then happens is that new avenues are explored and the cars then get faster and faster again till it all begins again. Witness Group B – 650bhp monsters tearing through forests – but recent WRC cars are faster with half the power, due to other improvements (mainly tyres and suspension).

Of course a car with 20 years of development will be faster than it was originally, but that was to a different set of rules, so you can’t compare. I personally still remember the no tyres no refuelling era – great racing. Set off fast – gain an massive advantage, but knowing that by the end of the race you’d be all over the place as your tyres were screwed v. play the waiting game. The best drivers in the world actually racing each other. Something Bernie should think of.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Its not the point (anyway the FW14B is my all time favourite), F1 cars are actually a ‘rules’ car, they are hugely compromised vehicles that are designed simply to maximise the ‘envelope’ allowed by the FIA rules.

For example, no one in their right minds tries to get max torsional rigidity out of a tube with holes in it, nor to maximise aero by sticking 4 huge unfaired tyres in the airstream.

Looks at Group B – WRC are way past what GrpB managed for pace.

F1 is determined by the 3 biggest factors aero, tyres, power, probably in that order.

All that happens if you dont change rules disruptively (so that innovation can play a part) is the top 3 teams refine better and quicker than all others so they dominate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A question for F1 fans… FW15…’ is closed to new replies.