Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 246 total)
  • A nice Friday thread – your tenuous claims to fame…
  • duntstick
    Free Member

I used to go to school with a kid called John Cockroft, his Grandad, (Sir John Douglas Cockroft) was the first to split the atom.

66deg
    Free Member

I’ve got the drawers from eric morecambes sisters desk under my desk.

Eric Morecambe’s mum lived on Peacock Lane and he used to play footie in the garden with a mate of mine ,i lived a little further away next door to Whitewalls Resturant and used to see his Rolls Royce in the car park it always had an Eric & Ernie anual on the parcel shelf.

Pigface
    Free Member

My mate Patrick worked on a news paper in Leeds and had to have a young cub reporter under his wing. Patrick is a pretty good guitarist, cub reporter said he played a bit so Patrick said come over the house and we will have a jam. Cub reporter got out his guitar and played a bit and Patrick went “Woah” cub reporter was Mark Knopfler 😆

kimbers

my former flatmate saw Will Young outside Euston station, she started singing Evergereen? at him till he managed to hail a cab and make his escape

jimw
    Free Member

Bounced off Christopher Biggins when I wasn’t looking coming out of a record shop in London in the 1980’s- he was quite nice about it really, under the circumstances

Two tenuous links to the same person
    Was served a pint by a guy who was Pink Floyd’s road crew catering manager once- He got to drive the 250GTO home after Nick Mason’s wedding
    Stood next to Nick Mason at the urinals at Silverstone

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i went to school with 2 kids from the crapper family (i shit you not). they’re descendents of thomas crapper, who invented some sort of toilet design (can’t be bothered to google it). the crapper family name is where the word crap comes from.

aP
    Free Member

Was in the pub about 5 years ago, a mate’s phone rang – he chatted for a bit and said, “Its Eric, you tell him how to set up an Apple playlist”. Eric being Eric Clapton.
    A friend was in the running to be the 7th Doctor Who, got down to him and Sylvester McCoy.
    Rufus Sewell used to drink in my local pub, still see him every now and then when he comes back from LA to visit his Mum and Dad.
    I’ve also been cycling with “ElfnSafety”.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’ve been physically ejected from a night club by Warrior from Gladiators he’s not a fan of ‘banter’

Was that in the Talardy,North Wales?

66deg
    Free Member

Back in days when i was self employed the daughter of one of my customers, was and i think still is mates with Andy Sirkis.

Another customer was asked directions to a venue ,turned out to be one of The Beatles(just a short time before fame arrived).

A friend of mine was a roadie and scored a snog with Debbie Harry( in her hey day so respect is due methinks).

beej

Bloke I knew at uni (who kept asking out my GF before she was my GF) was the first person convicted of murder in West Yorkshire without a body being found. He killed his ex-GF after stoving her new boyfriends head in with a hammer.

He should be out fairly soon, was in the mid-90s.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-111427577.html

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Was that in the Talardy,North Wales?

It was indeed, many moons ago

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Reminded of so many things since reading this thread.
    Fred West laid the base for my mums conservatory. He was working with my late Bro-in-law.
    I threw up in the back of Timmy Mallett’s TVR (he worked at Radio Oxford with the partner in my windsurfing school).
    I once sold floppy discs to Tears for Fears. ****.
    Via work I’ve met Felix Baumgartner, two Russian premiers and way too many musicians.

None of whom would remember me. Except Timmy Mallett. Probably.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve stood behind Peter Capaldi in a queue for coffee, I was tempted to shout c**t. (This was pre Dr Who when he was better know for Malcolm Tucker).

nickc

I’ve been on Crackerjack with the Nolan Sisters, one asked if I wanted her autograph…I declined.

I’ve ridden with Jesus

chris_db
    Free Member

Sat next to Robert Plant in a pub in Ullapool.

Stood behind Stuart Pearce in a sandwich shop queue.

Tried to persuade The Clash to play Tommys Disco for free on the Busking Tour.

My Dad started Mercian Cycles in his garage.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Phil Collins once tried to barge in front of me in the queue for lunch at Townhouse 1.

beej

I’ve been hosed down by Emma Pooley.

Exchanged nods with Stuart Pearce in the gym.

Had breakfast next to Jonathan Edwards and Rob Hayles.

Checked out of a hotel whilst Simon Gerrans was doing the same.

Been given an evil look by Andrew Talansky.

Appeared in a photo on The Sufferfest Facebook page. Also quoted on their web site reviewing one of their videos.

DenDennis
    Free Member

you know that Nasty Nick bateman off of the early (1st?) big brother?
    I’ve punched him in the face*

I’ve also been offered a magnum or similar ice cream off of superstar DJ Andrew Weatherall. he was just popping out for one while he was waiting at the hair salon.

*OK it was actually in a kick-boxing class but I did punch the fecker in his gormless fizzog.

stumpy01

My parent’s had a labrador when they were younger & Emma Thompson used to come round and take it for walks.

I stood in a lift with Jonathan Edwards at a hotel in Croydon; felt like I should say something, but didn’t. I was on a training course there and I think there was a massive British Atheletics conference going on. I was sat next to Dwayne Chambers, Christian Malcolm etc. at breakfast and I saw Kelly Holmes in reception and squeaked a hello at her as I walked past. She looked at me like I was a piece of dog poo she had just stepped in.

My brother used to share a flat with Dermot O’Leary (along with a couple of others) in Queens Park. He opened a beer for me.

Oooh, I once held a door open for Dalton Grant and Jon Regis at an athletics meet at West London Stadium (might now be called Linford Christie stadium, I think); home of Thames Valley Harriers anyway, who I used to run for.

sazter

…I sold Daniella Nardini a phone charger when I worked in the shop named after a fruit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lord Lichfield spilt my pint.

OK, it was a glass of champagne, really.

juanking

Got told to F off by Tom Baker in (what was) the Racing Page in Richmond.

Almost had a fight with Mike Gatting whilst he was (miserably) attempting to sleaze up a girl I was with at the time.

I was in/on Treasure Hunt hosted by Anneka Rice was about 12 years old and chased her/them around the village on my Grifter.

Had a pint with Warren Gatland and Rob Howley (I paid) whilst staying in the Richmond Gate hotel before beating England 19 v 12.

ElShalimo

My uncle bought a gold coloured Ford Granada from Judy Finnegan’s Dad in mid 80s.
    It caught fire after one too many overheating problems whilst he was giving us a lift to the cinema

66deg
    Free Member

I saw Elvis 😉 in our chip shop.

njee20
    Free Member

Ooo, ooo, pick me, I have two!

I won the Weakest Link

And my second cousin is Hugh Jackman. Never met him. Nor’s my mum, whose cousin he is. She’s met all his siblings and his parents though!

There it is people, you may kiss my hand.

Smudger666

I had an email conversation with the late Tom Clancy about the best spot to aim at on a Soviet T80 tank when aiming a Charley-G at it.

My dad handed the popular beat combo ‘black lace’ a noise abatement order when they used to practice in their garage. Unfortunately for us all, it was a temporary thing.

I’ve used the words off, right and **** in a conversation with Prince Charles.

The most tenuous is that a school fiend of my wife’s played ‘moaning myrtle’ in the Harry potter series of films.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Got told to “**** Off” by Ian McCulloch.

Cougar

I’ve got the drawers from eric morecambes sisters desk under my desk.

Anyone else have to read that more than twice?

the crapper family name is where the word crap comes from.

No it isn’t. It’s derived from something Germanic IIRC, and Crapper is a corruption of Cropper. Wholly unrelated words, anyway.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I introduced Barry Mcguigan to Tony Hawk at a party

ElShalimo

Many of these are not tenuous

brooess
    Free Member

I saw the non-Harry Enfield half of the Double Take brothers in Shaftesbury Avenue. I didn’t realise who he was initially, took another look and acted in surprise when I worked it out
    I think he thought I was being funny

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Woppit …. That’s no surprise !

EVERYONE tells you to **** off 😀

😆

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My mum used to work in the same tax ofice as thew bass player from the Who, John Entwistle. I’m assuming this was before he became a multi-millionaire rock star.

My dad knew Tommy Cooper.

I sat next to Sue Pollard on a plane once (and she talked at me for the whole flight, ’twas glad to land!).

And I’ve met one of ELO, Nick Kaminski on a TV show.

Wow, just waiting for Heat magazine to ring me up and do a feature on my celebirty lifestyle!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Too many to mention them all – aren’t I modest..

Been shouted at by Neil Diamond during his rehearsal for a gig
    Made quote of the week in the Telegraph – naturally I was misquoted.
    Peter Higgs was in my Cafe yesterday
    Had dinner with one of the “Stone of Destiny” thieves/freedom fighters
    Was on TV once when I drove through the race course at Aintree on Grand National day…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had a piss next to Arthur Lee at The Highbury Garage

Well if that counts, I’ve had a piss next to Paul Weller

I won the Weakest Link

@njee 😀

project
    Free Member

Shook hands with a conservative eduction minister when at an educational schools support day, felt so unclean after,and no soap in toilets.

Worked in the house of some famous footballer,didnt have any idea who he was, he kept asking me if i was intrested in any football team,i just kept saying no,large picture of him in hallway to which he kept looking at.

qwerty
    Free Member

I am an ex professional cyclist and have competed at both National and European level.

( i got paid to ride a bicycle and have been at SSUK & SSEU )

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m in the Carter USM video for Bloodsports For All, stage diving. The clip was used on the Top of the Pops chart rundown.

Mate at Uni was Loz from Kingmakers cousin.

Had a chat with Jeff Emig at Fat Cats moto track, he asked me what I was riding and was super nice. Didn’t click who he was until I walked away – not every day a world champ is hanging out at your local track!

Was on the deck of a vert ramp with Matt Hoffman AND Tony Hawk at the same time! Nodded at them, got a nod back. (I had a camera. Not a bike)

Met Johnny Vegas on an escalator in Liverpool Airport.

Had my picture in MBUK (Malverns, ’95) and DIRT (double page spread, shot from behind!)

The guy that wrote Birds of a Feather lives across the road from Mum and Dad. The guy that started Cult Clothing/Superdry is on the other side.

Any climbers out there? Pushed Steve McClure’s daughter on a swing, he’s my mates neighbour.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    Woppit …. That’s no surprise !

EVERYONE tells you to **** off

Not really.

Had that Mel Gaynor and his missus round at mine once for some “round-the-glass-topped-table-Saturday-night-domestic-entertainment -everybodytalkatninetymilesanhour”.

IHN

A colleague of my Dad’s was Lord Lucan’s best man.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘A nice Friday thread – your tenuous claims to fame…’ is closed to new replies.