• This topic has 78 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • A name for this type of roadie/group member
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Out for 100km let’s say. You don’t see this fella all ride until the last 10/15km when he surges ahead and ‘contests’ the hills.
    ?

jam-bo

Smart?

crosshair
    Free Member

Cunning? Or similar 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Either Wannabe or just a dick

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Geoff?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Lurker, wheel sucker, or lazy twunt!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Group-ride-racer?

Never enters any races?

Dickhead.

bearnecessities

Serje

oldgit
    Free Member

cynic-al nail on the head, except the two are nice blokes otherwise. Club ride racer is polite enough, I’ll use that when posting my ride lead sorry ‘group ride racer’

Haze

Dunno, maybe he’s just enjoying himself or something?

kilo

My Mrs?

scotroutes

Maybe it just takes him a while to warm up? Try going for longer rides.

oldgit
    Free Member

He probably is, but wheelsucking for hours on end just to show off at the end annoys me a little.

scotroutes

You roadies really do get uptight about these things, don’t you? Anyway, how can he be “contesting” the hills when it’s not a contest? Do you mean he’s just riding faster than you?

oldgit
    Free Member

We did some 200 and 300km rides, but they don’t show for those.

cynic-al
    Free Member

We just called them “winter racers” – guys that peaked in March “winning” sprints for 30s etc then were never seen until November.

Haze

I’m sure he’s not fooling anyone Oldgit, just leave him to it 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I get well uptight over stuff like that. We set a pace for the ride, so for some one that hasn’t done a thing to contribute, and then splits it all up is very annoying.

scotroutes

Seems to me you need to relax a little.

Try going for a ride on your bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ironically setting a pace and keeping things ordered makes for a very fast, social and safe ride. Applying the chaos theory turns things a little crappy.

TheSanityAssassin

Insist on rotating the lead pair every 5/10/whatever mins, so that everyone does a shift up front?

brooess
    Free Member

Isn’t that what Cav does? Seems to get quite well-rewarded for his efforts 🙂

Has anyone explained to him how these things are done? We’ve had a lot of problems with new members not pointing out holes and stuff or not singling out in traffic but tbh, we’ve not really done enough coaching so can’t really blame them…

chakaping
    Free Member

GC contender.

oldgit
    Free Member

We do that sanity, nothing hard and fast I.e if it’s flat with s tailwind you just do a longer stint, it usually sorts itself out nicely. Some just manage to slip under the radar.

scratch
    Free Member

Every club has one…..
    Luckily ours moved to another part of the country last year.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Out for 100km let’s say. You don’t see this fella all ride until the last 10/15km when he surges ahead and ‘contests’ the hills.

Sounds like me 😀
    Never understood the people who go racing up the hills at the start of a ride, blow up, then moan about people racing up hills at the end of ride. 😀

Chew
    Free Member

With about 20k to go just drop back behind him and sit on his wheel. If you can get enough people to do it he’ll end up on the front and not be able to sprint for the line.

He’ll soon get the idea 😉

endurogangster
    Free Member

Scrote-badger is the official term!

oldgit
    Free Member

Never race up’em st the start. The aim with group is to hit 100km in 3 hours. When some one shoots off it actually slows the ride.

bearnecessities

This makes me realise why I am a solitary git.

singlespeedstu

You’re out on a group ride with him and you don’y know his name?

That’s a bit rude of you not to try and find out.
    😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

A name for this type of roadie/group member

Typical?

wiggles
    Free Member

This all sounds like a very stressful way of riding a bike I’m glad I ride alone…

hora
    Free Member

A better rider?

mcnultycop

I’m glad I have no cyclist mates.

globalti
    Free Member

I took a South African customer from Cape Town out for a ride around the Ribble Valley last month. He was a big, strong fit guy about 20 years younger than me yet he sat on my wheel the entire way round, until we reached the last hill before home when he muttered “I’d better do some work here” and shot off into the distance leaving me gasping.

Curiously he also did the entire ride in his big ring until we came to Jeffrey Hill, our local test-piece when approached from the north. I told him he would need the small ring but off he went, disappearing up the hill like a rat up a drainpipe. Half way up the steepest section I met him coming back down; fiddling with the gears and admitting that I’d been right.

Strange behaviour.

oldgit
    Free Member

Only stressful if an individual cocks up the group, to me the point of a group ride is to ride as a group. Likewise if someone joined me on a nice 600km audax, I’d want them to leave me alone. The pleasure I get from rolling along in a tight fast group is as pleasurable as a day alone in the woods and hills. But I like the ride to be well defined….OCD?

deadkenny
    Free Member

So much less stress off road. Unless it actually is a race, most group riding is just a social thing and no one really cares who’s in front, behind or if they go blasting up a hill in front of you. Stop for the slowest guy. Stop for snacks. Stop for mechanicals. Stop to retrieve someone out of a tree. Only challenging is to see who’s got the balls to try and kill themselves.

😀

Well, lycra’d up xc training rides may be a bit different, but I don’t do them. I just ride for social purposes, even on the faster non or less stop kind of rides, and we actually talk during the rides! 😉 . Everything I see of group (even “social”) road riding seems to be all about rules and less just enjoyment.

Actually, thinking about it the kind of road riding I’d enjoy is probably just with mates touring about, probably stopping off at pubs every few miles and generally having a laugh 😀

yunki
    Free Member

the big question I guess, is have you taken it up with him, or just whined about it on here?

oldgit
    Free Member

Not really fair. Quite the opposite. In a group everyone is gasing or looking over hedges. The two on the front often share a different type of banter.
    It’s when a group splits that they become unsocial, tired riders get dropped, then the ones that have surged explode so you have to wait for them.
    It’s a sporting group with a known pace, a sweet spot that can be maintained. Its not a training ride. There are two other groups that leave at the same time, beginers and social.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘A name for this type of roadie/group member’ is closed to new replies.