• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A few qs about Chamonix
  • jhw
    Free Member

I'm heading to Chamonix this summer for a long weekend in early July. I'll be solo-ing it (I just like riding better that way, be it XC or DH) and will probably hire a freeride bike or something, and will be staying in one of the hostels.

I've ridden Morzine before and proper backcountry DH in Les Arcs so have an idea of what to expect, but I'm enticed by reports that Chamonix has bigger terrain than both of these. I'm having trouble figuring out logistics though because it's such a bigger town. Can anyone help out with a few questions?

– does Chamonix actually have the best riding? (the only other place I'm really looking at is Verbier)

– can anyone recommend a good guide?

– roughly what part of the valley has the best riding (no need to give away any secrets, just a general idea is fine) and where is the best place to stay to get to it – I assumed Chamonix but have heard Les Houches has good singletrack too. Does it all link up by lift anyway?

– will good trails be open in early July (I've heard the really good stuff shuts in high summer) and will they be rammed with other riders/walkers?

Cheers oh and if anyone's riding in the Chamonix valley and wants to meet up let me know.

sparkywalts
    Free Member

Went with these guys a few years ago. Was awesome riding and great company

http://www.mbmb.co.uk/

jedi

i love it there

hairymechanic
    Free Member

Chamonix is excellent and I'd also recommend MBMB. I've been with them a few times and going back this summer. Never really had a problem with lifts being closed except once but it was only one lift. There was one though that takes you up to where the paragliders jump off and if the weather is bad they won't let you up. You can still go half way though and get agood ride.

I'd probably stay in Chamonix itself if you go on your own. It is only a short ride to Les Houches and Les Tours is at the other end of town which also has good riding, including a run down the back into Switzerland at which point you can get the train back to Chamonix.

There is a run up to the green lake or "Lac Vert" which is worth doing. No lift so it is a climb but has a good decent and then either train back to Chamonix or road ride.

There is loads to do in terms of riding, you won't be dissapointed.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

July / August bike ban limits you to certain trails if you want to stay legal.

My favourite route was up to Col De Balme, down into Switzerland towards Trient on a fantistic DH trail, road to the train station and a cheeky Swiss Rail uplift to Vallorcine. Optional play on the DH run there, then back up to Col De Balme. Then an amazing rocky and rooty run down to Argentiere through the forest. Back to Chamonix on the Balcon.

It can be very rocky and pretty technical in that area, but sounds like you're up for that. I think a guide would help, I was lucky to bump into someone in a bar who showed us around. Much quieter than Morzine and not full of stormtrooper Brit riders, which I really like. No lift queues, but they are more expensive. Transport in the valley is free if you get a visitors card with your accommodation, lets you use the buses and trains for nothing, and you can get a bike on the train to get from Les Houches to La Tour.

I've camped and rented a chalet, it'll be camping this summer. There's a site in the town.

Oh, and Chamonix is a "proper" town, but not cheap. Arguably has the greatest mountain scenary and views in Europe. Go and enjoy it!

jedi

the best single days riding on singletrack i have ever done.

love it love it love it.

bobbyspangles

go to zeroG bike shop in town or Legends and ask for the chamonix vtt biking guide.

or it can be bought in chambrenuef bar, which is opposite the main train station.

there are some stunning/very tech trails up at les houches and the trail maps are free.

the train is a very good way of getting around but be careful as there is a 5 bike limit(madness!) and this can get annoying, unless you were to ride down to les houches and get the train there as its quieter.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Bobby, interesting to know Zero G have realised that book now.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Chamonix has some of the techiest riding in europe due to the steep valley sides. But its bloody brilliant if you like it steep and nasty, much more so than morzine/les arcs etc.

July/august has a ban most trails, so worth going june or september if you can.

You can buy chamonix mtb bike by Tom wilson north on chain reaction.

buy an IGN map – go explore, there really is some amazing stuff. some pics I took last year
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157621970474914/show

jedi

contact phil@mbmb.com

stevomcd
    Free Member

Further to the bike ban – I was chatting to Phil at Geneva airport last year and they've now stopped running holidays within the valley due to the ban, so it's clearly a big deal. As above, worth trying to go outside of July/August.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

It's an amazing place,you will have a great time whatever time of year you go.

Shandy
    Free Member

Chamonix is great but it might be hard to find a guide who will take you during July/August. I was out there last year and most of the decent trails aren't very popular with walkers. Some of the trails link really easily with lifts/trains and some of them don't. It is good fun exploring and finding trails but some of them are just too steep to ride, which can get frustrating. My email is in my profile if you want a few pointers.

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

Good thread!

I have been to Chamonix many times to go climbing so this could give another option. The mbmb.co.uk give pictures of xc bikes so I wonder if anyone has been brave enough to do this or is it best to go for the 150/160mm travel type of bike?

Cheers

jedi

i have used hardtails there for years.used the demo9 once but prefer the hummer.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Pretty rocky – best on a AM full bouncer really, as there is some climbing to alot of the stuff.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Id take a 160mm ish bike for all round ability, theres loads of trails in les houches, and its normally pretty quiet there, its a long valley so stay in the middleish, les houches is not linked to any lifts, unless you go to top of brevent then find your way down to les houches(probably the best single days riding singletrack jedi's on about)it is VERY worth finding, and once past the first section, which is tough, you wont see a soul. There is lots to do at la tour too. Chamonix is a very steep sided valley so lots of trails are steep, slow and techy, not too many other bikers, best and fave place ive ridden.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks for these tips! I'll be camping there last weekend of June, should be sweet!

jhw
    Free Member

Query: I understand that many (almost all) trails in the valley are closed in July and August, and therefore June may be the best time to go. The difficulty is, I also see that most lifts don't open until late June, with the Brevant lift not opening even until the 26th and the Vallorcine lift not opening until early July. The Planpraz lift is going when I'm there, as is the Flegere and the Col de Balme (I don't know about Les Houches). In short it looks like it could be difficult to get very high by gondola/cablecar at the end of June.

I've got two questions really,

(1) is this information accurate – e.g., I was under the impression all lifts except the Montveners train and Aiguille du Midi cablecar were running for bikes in the middle of June. Will Les Houches be open?

(2) assuming it's accurate, is it possible still to get really high in the mountains using just the Flegere, Brevant, Planpraz and maybe Les Houches lifts, i.e., is it possible (and not so hard as to be a misery) to climb by bike? I'd hoped for really rocky, glacial, remote riding, not Morzine type foothills…

jedi

the agule du midi you cant take bikes on

stevomcd
    Free Member

the agule du midi you cant take bikes on

Probably just as well!

What tyres for the Midi arete? 😯

jedi

id love to ride down from the midi

stevomcd
    Free Member

Speaking seriously, there must be some cracking trails from Plan de l'Aiguille (the mid-station)? I've walked on some trails round there that i would love to ride.

jhw
    Free Member

Yeah…it's actually surprisingly difficult to find what dates the lifts open on. I eventually found the dates for the ones in Chamonix, but I can't find anything about Les Houches.

So is the position basically that in June there are trails but no lifts and in July there are lifts but no trails?

jedi

ask phill@mbmb.com

You should go up Aiguille du Midi cablecar (without your bike) just for the experience

Its fantastic up there

flap_jack
    Free Member

Last year I saw a load of signs in the Vallorcine valley with pics of little bikes, saying something about Swiss MTB club routes. Anyone know anything about them ?

If you're riding in the Cham valley you've got to be prepared to ride a lot of uphill.

A good ride in July which might be less busy is alongside the railway line from Le Buet to the bottom of the Vallorcine valley – truly terrifying in places – narrow, steep, slippery rock and if you cock up you fall 50feet onto an electrified train line.

Shandy
    Free Member

Chamonix Lift Timetables

Some of the lifts are open in late June. It is definitely possible to get rocky, remote riding, you will just have to do more climbing to get to it. So you can get to Planpraz, but not up to the top of Brevent. Or you can get to the mid-station on the front side of Le Tour, but you would need to ride/push to get to the trails into Trient. Its a pity Grand Montets is closed, it has a couple of great trails. I have never tried to get a bike on the Midi, mostly because it is RAMMED with tourists in the Summer (it is a proper European landmark for sightseeing so its worth going up anyway). If you were there at a quieter time and only wanted to go as far as the mid-station there is a decent chance the lifties would let you on, unless there is a written rule. If you do go up there try and find suggested routes beforehand as you could easily end up with 3 or 4 hours of hike-a-bike if you took the wrong trail. All the guys in the bike shops are really friendly and should help out.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks, this is all helpful. I hadn't considered riding on the Midi but I'll see about getting to the midstation and if I can do it there will be helmetcam footage. I suspect there's a written rule though.

Sounds like I'll be doing more than a little climbing – might be worth considering taking/hiring a 3-5" heavy duty XC bike instead of a freeride/all mountain rig.

Quite looking forward to it now. I'm not bothered that there's not complete lift coverage, I signed up for that when choosing not to hit Morzine this year!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A few qs about Chamonix’ is closed to new replies.