Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • A Conservative/Labour coalition…?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

@ Jam they are not subliminal they are exactly what the words mean and what the claim is.

Feel free to refute it.
    You can use cabal if you like. Its remote and distant from most of the country, few, if any, have had “proper” jobs and they do not live in the real world – Is not aimed at any party in particular to be clear.

@ THM Very good point.

One could argue we have had poor oppositions in the past but you are correct what could counter balance or hold them to account – 12 Lib dems , 2 UKIPer and a green MP?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Our parliament is in London for traditional reasons and long may that continue. It’s not worth the cost of moving it to create a situation like in Australia (Canbera) or US (Washington) for example as people would frankly complain as much about the government if it where in Birmingham, Manchester of Liverpool. London and the South East “pay the bills”, the taxes (income, employer, corporate, vat and stamp duty) raised there are disproportionately high per head and subsidise the rest of the country. IMO that’s normal foe a capital city and the surrounding region, what I have little time for a whinging that Westminster manages the country for the benefit of the South as actually the opposite is true.

My view re elite is as above, the top of the political system is by definition an elite as they are the best that party has to offer. You are in a footballing elite if you play for ManU for example as it’s not a career in reality open to anyone.

Business people generally hate real politics (certainly in the UK), it simply isn’t of interest and most wouldn’t take the pay cut required. Hence political leaders tend to be career politicians whether they are Salmond, Clegg, Cameron, Blair, Brown, Miliband, Balls etc etc

ransos
    Free Member

The trade unions funding ‘Labour’ would have something to say about their party getting in bed with the Tories.

Maybe, maybe not. It’s been a long time since Labour offered the unions anything more substantial than a few crumbs from the top table. That’s why I signed a form to tell my union that they can’t use my fees to fund the Labour party.

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    My view re elite is as above, the top of the political system is by definition an elite as they are the best that party has to offer

Bless.

binners

I don’t think anyone is suggesting moving parliament. You can keep the ****s! 😉 What I’m saying is the present arrangement has created the economy we have now, where London is, to all intents and purposes, an Independent City State, and economic decisions that can effect the rest of the countries economy pretty negatively are taken in London’s interests pretty much exclusively

aracer
    Free Member

Lest we forget – effective government requires strong opposition.

So how do they manage in Germany? Presumably the government is totally ineffective and the country is going down the pan?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was at a meeting early this morning to discuss investment in Africa. Combination of business folk, MPs and civil servants. The host (an ex-MP) summed things up well when trying to stimulate a debate:

Businessmen like to under-promise and over-deliver
    Politicians over-promise and under-deliver

Quite.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ Jam
    Re the first point remind you agree it is happening you just dont care.

Re elite – the problem is football players are there because they are talented and the best. They are not there because they went to the best schools, because their folks were MPs or because of who they know.
    Secondly MP’s are there to represent the people they serve. When you draw them from a narrow social strata you get an elite.

Business people generally hate real politics (certainly in the UK), it simply isn’t of interest and most wouldn’t take the pay cut required.

you are really keeping it real and so street there with folk who wont take a pay cut to x 3 the average wage – another one of your comments that makes me think this is satire/trolling
    We dont need more rich people in parliament nor PPE students, nor media, PR nor law. We need more plumbers, nurses, shop workers, cleaners etc you know the stuff most of us do and who live like most of us do.
    With all due to respect to dave , and GO and Milliband and Clegg they have lived a life unlike 99% of the people they serve. they dont get it and it is not their fault

We also need more women and BME.

ransos
    Free Member

Businessmen like to under-promise and over-deliver
    Politicians over-promise and under-deliver

Yes, that was my first thought when reading about Tesco’s profits. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

What I thought as I watched the economy go belly up and when I watched G4S over deliver at the Olympics and when I saw SERCO over deliver on prison contracts …oh my mistake that was just over claim
    Etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Re elite – the problem is football players are there because they are talented and the best. They are not there because they went to the best schools, because their folks were MPs or because of who they know.

Labour party ?

you are really keeping it real and so street there with folk who wont take a pay cut to x 3 the average wage

Perfect example of how little real information / relevance there is in the “average wage” statistic. Why be an MP on £65k when you can be head of the council on £100+ (and not face an election every 5 years) or head of the PCC as we discussed on the other thread for the same ? That’s before you start looking at private sector jobs.

If you are interested in a career Politics PPE is an excellent degree, it’s not surprising its well represented.

nickc

So how do they manage in Germany?

I don’t think the two systems bear much comparison TBH the Germans have a long tradition of cooperation that goes back to the early days of the Holy Roman Empire.

aracer
    Free Member

So they can manage effective government without a strong opposition, and THM’s statement isn’t actually a universal truism, just something which is part of the status quo here?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Labour party ?

Is not aimed at any party in particular to be clear.

Apply this to all my posts the only real difference is the Tories draw more from the landed gentry.

Perfect example of how little real information / relevance there is in the “average wage” statistic

WTF are you on about and why is the “average Wage ” in “”?
    The average wage is the average wage – its pretty real information and relevant as the MP’s salary is above it

Thanks for addressing the issue I raised about us needing more “real” people and just doing a really imprecise attack on “average wages”.
    I do not even know what your point is

If you are interested in a career Politics PPE is an excellent degree,

Aye there is no way to improve on our current system is there and it has served us admirably well.

I would rather have more alan Johnson or dave CMD davis than another Oxbridge PPE candidate personally.

FWIW if you wont be a politician because it is not personally financially rewarding enough for you at that salary then I am delighted we remove the greedy from standing. Its public service after all and paid better than most other public servant jobs. If you are doing it for personal wealth then you are self serving rather than public serving

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY – average wage – mean, mode, median and all that stuff. Also average includes a lot of part time work and a mix over the whole working age range (lots of kids on low wages, lots of soon-to-be pensioners on low wages). It’s a really poor stat. The average household income for those with kids is £65k btw. My point is those business people you want as MPs make a lot more money than MPs.

Just because you pick a job with reference to it’s salary doesn’t make you greedy. Being an MP is a total PITA in my view, being in the cabinet I can imagine is interesting but the rest of it is pretty mundane and dreadfully anti-social in terms of hours / commitments etc

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s a really poor stat

Yes facts you dont like often are

average household income

Is not relevant when discussing an individual salary for one job. It is , by any standards, a very well paid job.
    FWIW

The top decile of single adults earn a median income of £60,500,

My point is those business people you want as MPs make a lot more money than MPs.

Do we speak the same language? Do you read my posts? that is as daft as me claiming you support the Palestinian cause. Is this more of your satire/trolling?
    what im my posts makes you think I want more business people 😯
    Was this not clear enough for you?

FWIW if you wont be a politician because it is not personally financially rewarding enough for you at that salary then I am delighted we remove the greedy from standing. Its public service after all and paid better than most other public servant jobs. If you are doing it for personal wealth then you are self serving rather than public serving

I dont think we need more “business leaders” as most folk are not “business leaders”

I am out as we get nowhere when we “debate”

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside JY Group 4 where pushed into bidding on the Olympics, they told the government/organizing committee the format was unworkable (recruit, vet, train workforce months in advance for a 3 week potential assignment in the future)

Not trolling really. I was answering various comments around MPs not being representative. Our MPs are not well paid, FWIW they should be paid double or treble and there be less of them and zero expenses and no other outside employment (France and German MPs make much more)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have no idea what world one lives in when you claim a top 10% wage is “not well paid”.
    Have a look at how much more it is than average wages of the folk they represent.

Lollipop ladies £3,187 average p/a (+4.9% yearly change)
    Theme park attendants £6,011 (-10.9%)
    Bar staff £7,317 (-1.0%)
    Playworkers £7,400 (-3.8%)
    Waiters & waitresses ( £7,654 +8.3%)
    Cleaners £8,067 (+1.9%)
    Florists £8,960 (-6.0%)
    Hairdressers £10,174 (+0.9%)
    Fitness instructors £10,378 (-8.4%)
    Shopworkers £11,174 (+0.3%)
    Cooks £11,346 (-7.4%)
    Nursery nurses £11,163 (-0.4%)
    Beauticians £12,418 (+5.3%)
    Window cleaners £12,561 (-11.2%)
    Receptionists £12,595 (+1.8%)
    Care workers £12,804 (+0.9%)
    Childminders £12,949 (+2.3%)
    Telephonists £14,032 (+1.5%)
    Tailors & Dressmakers £14,482 (-23.5%)
    Caretakers £16,114 (+3.9%)
    Secretaries £16,384 (+1.1%)
    Cabbies £16,416 (+4.6%)
    Customer service £16,525 (+9.5%)
    Undertakers £16,526 (0%)
    Packers £16,820 (-0.4%)
    Tele sales £17,362 (-1.1%)
    Chefs £17,391 (+0.3%)
    Gardeners £17,595 (-1.3%)
    Street cleaners £17,616 (-3.8%)
    Butchers £17,681 (+1.2%)
    Hospital porters £17,748 (+5.8%)
    Farm workers £17,925 (+4.9)
    Traffic wardens £18,065 (-4.2%)
    Travel agents £18,344 (+10.7%)
    Van drivers £18,744 (+2.9%)
    Tyre & exhaust fitters £18,888 (-4.2%)
    Bank clerks £19,908 (+9.3%)
    Youth & Community workers £20,240 (+2.6%)
    Civil servants £20,330 +1.2%
    Council administrators £20,351 (+2.9%)
    Vicars £20,568 (-3.6%)
    Security guards £20,841 (+2.2%)
    Plasterers £21,155 (+0.1%)
    Lab technicians £21,168 (+0.2%)
    Fork lift drivers £21,444 (+0.3%)
    Musicians £21,492 (+6.8%)
    Roofers £21,921 (-1.5%)
    Bricklayers £22,476 (-7.0%)
    Painters £22,700 (+1.9%)
    Ambulance staff £22,854 (+5.6%)
    Housing officers £23,001 (-0.6%)
    Bus & coach drivers £23,095 (+3.0%)
    Posties & messengers £23,178 (+17.5%)
    Librarians £23,940 (-0.3%)
    Carpenters £24,029 (+1.4%)
    Photographers £24,242 (-4.8%)
    Farmers £24,520 (+5.5%)
    Estate agents £24,783 (-8.2%)
    Publicans £25,222 (+10.7%)
    Mechanics £25,238 (-0.7%)
    Lorry drivers £25,602 (+1.4%)
    Nurses £26,158 (+0.65)
    Prison officers £26,616 (+2.6%)
    Welders £26,735 (-1.6%)
    Printers £26,833 (+2.7%)
    Speech therapists £27,470 (-0.5%)
    Plumbers £27,832 (-1.2%)
    Social workers £28,182 (+1.6%)
    Firefighters £28,183 (+0.3%)
    Office managers £28,790 (-1.8%)
    Human resources personnel £28,999 (+1.0%)
    Car makers £29,845 (+1.9%)
    Web designers £29,870 (+5.5%)
    Midwives £30,020 (+2.0%)
    Scaffolders £30,591 (+2.8%)
    Coal miners £30,688 (-8.8%)
    PRs £31,818 (+0.4%)
    Telecoms engineers £32,253 (+5.3%)
    Vets £32,374 (-4.0%)
    Hotel managers £32,470 (-2.0%)
    Teachers £32,547 (+1.4%)
    Journalists £35,117 (-0.4%)
    Train builders £37,613 (+3.3%)
    Civil engineers £38,236 (-2.7%)
    Quantity surveyors £38,855 (+1.5%)
    Police officers £39,346 (-1.2%)
    Construction managers £42,066 (+8.3%)
    Architects £44,024 (+3.3%)
    Electrical engineers £44,430 (+3.7%)
    Solicitors £44,787 (-2.3%)
    Train drivers £45,489 (+3.7%)
    Barristers & Judges £45,571 (-2.3%)
    Health managers £46,629 (-4.7%)
    Financial advisers £46,797 (-0.3%)
    Dentists £53,567 (+14.3%)
    Senior police £58,727 (-3.5%)
    MPs Now £66,396 (+1%)
    Doctors £70,646 (+1.3%)
    MPs Future? £74,000 (+11%)
    Airline pilots £78,482 (-0.1%)
    Chief executives £117,700 (-4.4%)

Nobby

For example there solution for the North is to spunk cash on HS2 to make it faster for us to get to london rather than make it easier for us to get to places in the North. I have been twice so this change will be less than life changing personally.

Oddly enough, I have two clients in the SE who are pro HS2 as it would enable them to relocate/expand their companies across the UK without having to worry about how inaccessible they are – something that is a real concern with our current (lack of) infrastructure.

You could argue that they are looking to take advantage of lower property costs/wages ‘oop North’ but if that’s what is needed to make them competitive in their respective market places and enables them to flourish & grow then I’m all for it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY, I accept perhaps live I live in a “different world” but don’t you think you’d want your MP to be talented and thus well paid. £75k isn’t that much to live and work in central London, one of the reasons you see many MPs from financially secure backgrounds is they can afford to take the job with all the risks and uncertainties.

You add to your list top local government people, police, head teachers. You’re paid more as a head teacher than as an MP and the former is a much better and more rewarding job and you don’t risk getting kicked out and being made unemployed every 5 years.

A few other snippets

Top accountant (partner at say KPMG) £500-750k
    Partner at London Law firm £1m-£3m
    Average FTSE 100 board member £2.5m

You can argue that some these figures are too high but we wish for top notch talent running the country but we don’t pay for it.

ransos
    Free Member

You add to your list top local government people, police, head teachers. You’re paid more as a head teacher than as an MP and the former is a much better and more rewarding job and you don’t risk getting kicked out and being made unemployed every 5 years.

I would argue that a head teacher has a far, far more demanding job than an MP.

aracer
    Free Member

Top accountant (partner at say KPMG) £500-750k
    Partner at London Law firm £1m-£3m
    Average FTSE 100 board member £2.5m

You can argue that some these figures are too high

Gosh, no, they’re doubtless worth every penny. I can’t imagine anybody on here arguing that.

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

add to your list top local government people, police, head teachers

WOW three more jobs that really negates my point about how well paid they are …GO YOU.

don’t you think you’d want your MP to be talented and thus well paid

I would want them to be better at maths and more grounded than you as well. To answer yes and yes – the problem is you seem to think that the top 10 % and almost x 3 the national average is not well paid. I know not why.

£75k isn’t that much to live and work in central London

three points
    1. You said they dont come from westminster so they do not actually live there.
    2. You really ought to familiarise yourself with their expenses claims and culture – iirc there was little bit of this on the news recently.
    3. I doubt they are alone in working in London but not living there and I am sure many do it on more modest incomes with less expenses to boot.

The more you write the more I am convinced you are a turing test or an automated satire bot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

automated satire bot.

ha ha I like that ! All those jobs I quoted are paid more than MPs, you are saying to me you think the head of local government should be paid more than an MP ? Perhaps I’ve lost track of what you are/are not saying here.

I am pointing out that those talented enough to rise to the top in politics almost certainly could earn much more outside and those outside and successful aren’t incentivised to become MPs. KPMG has 600 partners making those sort of amounts.

I’m well aware of the expenses (see my post earlier that they should be paid more and have expenses). They are elected elsewhere and then have to spend a significant amount of time in London which is very expensive.

@aracer, its not about whether they are worth that pay but what pay is available if you are talented.

From memory the top French/German ministers make about euro 500k pa

aracer
    Free Member

Because the only possible incentive is money?

ransos
    Free Member

ha ha I like that ! All those jobs I quoted are paid more than MPs, you are saying to me you think the head of local government should be paid more than an MP ? Perhaps I’ve lost track of what you are/are not saying here.

Someone in charge of say 8,000 staff, perhaps serving a large city and ultimately responsible for highways, adult social care, education and child protection?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aracer, no of course money is not the only incentive. I was just trying to point out that if you are successful in businesses being an MP isn’t attractive and if you think you’ll be successful in business you’ not go into politics in general.

@ransos, well in my view the local MP does all that and more.

ransos
    Free Member

@ransos, well in my view the local MP does all that and more.

Your MP manages several thousand staff and is responsible for child protection? Could you explain how?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Because the only possible incentive is money?

I always knew you were a tory bastard 😉
    I can forgive that …possibly but rollerski FFS man have a word with yourself will you.

I was just trying to point out that if you are successful in businesses being an MP isn’t attractive and if you think you’ll be successful in business you’ not go into politics in general.

Shall i say it again oh why not

We dont need more rich people in parliament nor PPE students, nor media, PR nor law. We need more plumbers, nurses, shop workers, cleaners etc you know the stuff most of us do and who live like most of us do

I am happy the salary is too low to attract them. In fact I am delighted

lunge

MP’s pay is always an interesting discussion. jambalaya makes a fair point that, in order to attract the brightest and best people onto government you need to pay a salary that is comparable to the top earners in the country. Rightly or wrongly, £75k does not come close even though it is clearly a very good wage.

Obviously money is not the only drawn to politics, having power is also a draw, one I’m not sure should be seen as a positive thing.

The other way of doing things is to pay a much lower wage to MP’s in the hope of attracting people with real interest/passion rather than those driven by money. Sadly, that means many will take other jobs with the associated conflicts of interest that brings.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ransos – because he/she votes on the legislation and budgets etc.

ransos
    Free Member

@ransos – because he/she votes on the legislation and budgets etc.

1/650th of the say on what’s going through Parliament. And it’s not even that because they’ll invariably do what the whips tell them. Wow!

In contrast, we all know what happens when the wheels fall off in child protection or in a school – that’s why managing those institutions is much, much more important.

Northwind

We’ve already had a tory/labour coalition, it was called new labour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 @ NW

in order to attract the brightest and best people onto government you need to pay a salary that is comparable to the top earners in the country.

That would be to attract the greediest in society
    The underlying is assumption there is everyone who gets paid more is somehow better than everyone who gets les. that is false and it is false to say they wealthy make the best MP’s. Imagine Wayne rooney as an MP for example. Furthermore rising to the top as an accountant may not prepare you for being a public servant. Its a daft assumption IMHO. Pay and talent are not that clearly linked IME it tends to show either who works the hardest or kisses the most arse rather than talent
    IMHO if you cannot live on x 3 ish the average salary of the people you serve with another home and free transport then you are not fit to serve
    You need to live live at least vaguely like the people you serve
    When GO was slashing the welfare state and disability benefits a labour MP interrupted to ask him which ones he had used and which ones he would miss most. Ho many MP’s know folk on disability? Are close friends with say a supermarket worker? Having more folk disconnected from the everyday experience of us all is no help and neither is assuming wealth = talent

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Junkyard – do you really want nurses, plumbers etc to be MP’s? I don’t want that any more than I want an MP to look after me in hospital or service my boiler. I totally understand that the people we elect as MP’s should understand the issues those of us in the real world have, but I’m not sure that taking your average hairdresser and putting them in charge of the foreign office for example is necessarily a good idea.

Of course a back bench MP is a position of relatively low responsibility, but from those 650 back benchers we need people who can manage huge departments with budgets in the billions. Could you do that? Because I’m pretty sure I couldn’t.

I’m not saying for a moment that all the MP’s we currently have are suitably experienced and knowledgeable to run the country successfully BTW. But removing them and replacing them with blue collar workers or people who often only have experience of running one man band enterprises is not I think necessarily the answer to our current dearth of political talent – on both sides of the house.

I’m not sure what the answer is BTW!

Northwind

It’s funny because it’s true JY 😉

boriselbrus – Member

from those 650 back benchers we need people who can manage huge departments with budgets in the billions.

Not so much, that’s what we have the civil service to do. Otherwise the entire country’d stop working every time we have an election or a reshuffle or a Theresa May. Well OK, bad example.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Not so much, that’s what we have the civil service to do. Otherwise the entire country’d stop working every time we have an election or a reshuffle or a Theresa May. Well OK, bad example.

😀

I agree. Although I suppose it depends if you believe Humphrey Appleby or Jim Hacker as to who runs the country!

I suspect we all agree that what we have currently is far from ideal although how we fix it is not so clear. Interesting though that we generally have a complete distrust and disdain for our MP’s even though we elected them…

Even after the expenses scandal, we knewsome of our politicians were basically fraudsters and we still re-elected them.

Maybe Douglas Adams was right about the lizards…

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/162557-it-comes-from-a-very-ancient-democracy-you-see-you

konabunny
    Free Member

You can argue that some these figures are too high but we wish for top notch talent running the country but we don’t pay for it.

I don’t believe that there’s a statistically significant group of people that wanted to become MPs but didn’t bother because it wasn’t well paid enough and that that resulted in a significantly lower quality intake to the political process.

money isn’t the only form of remuneration as an MP: there’s also prestige, a degree of influence, and access to a network for further moneymaking opportunities (mostly but not always upon exit from Westminster).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

aracer – Member 
    Lest we forget – effective government requires strong opposition.
    So how do they manage in Germany? Presumably the government is totally ineffective and the country is going down the pan?

Good question aracer. Considerable debate going on within Germany right now on this verv point. Some German academics and economists are indeed suggesting that the lack of opposition to the perceived wisdom/consensus is or will be the root of Germany’s future problems. Thanks for reminding me. I might post the links later if you are interested aracer!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘A Conservative/Labour coalition…?’ is closed to new replies.