Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • A challenge for all those who think trailquesting is lame.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

for all those who think trailquesting is a bit Wurther’s Original, as it was put on another thread, to have a go at keeping up with me while I aim to cover 50+km of mixed terrain in 3 hours.

The thing is – they don’t think it’s Werther’s Original because it’s easy, they think it’s just a bit of a faff, and not what they want to do. How fast you ride isn’t a factor 🙂

“But a better way is to invite people…”
    I did that on the other thread, this was just a bit of fun, like my Chunky Challenge.
    There’s always someone around at the start of a trailquest to help beginners, whether it’s local knowledge of the trails or lending a highlighter pen to mark your map.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why are people so negative?

People are negative because they aren’t interested; but are being told that, really, they should be – like they are somehow missing the point. Truth is: they aren’t. Personally, I think the whole thing just sounds shit. No matter how the TQ zealots try and sell it, it just sounds like complete and utter bobbins. I’m not telling them that they shouldn’t be doing it, indeed I hope that they continue to get pleasure from it; but they can’t return the respect and just accept that I (and anyone else) simply have no interest. Furthermore, the ‘pitch’ we’ve had so far in this thread (and previous) makes the organisers/participants sound like the kind of blow-hards whom I really couldn’t imagine wanting to spend ten minutes with, let alone three hours.

What’s a blow-hard ?

“but they can’t return the respect and just accept that I (and anyone else) simply have no interest”
    I always find it a little strange when people post on a forum thread to explain that they have no interest in the thread topic.

keavo
    Free Member

people don’t want to do it. as for trying to follow you, why don’t you try to follow someone in a race. perhaps because you don’t want to which is fair enough. sorry, but you have come across as a fool on this occasion.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What’s a blow-hard ?

What do you think?

I always find it a little strange when people post on a forum thread to explain that they have no interest in the thread topic.

So?

“why don’t you try to follow someone in a race”
    I generally try to stay ahead of, or overtake, other people in races.

Northwind

Up until these recent threads, I had never done a trailquest because I had no idea what it was all about. In future I’ll not do trailquests, but with a full understanding of why.

So thank you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always find it a little strange when people post on a forum thread to explain that they have no interest in the thread topic

3F makes a fair comment. This thread has moved away from publicising TQs and on to the general topic of trying to persuade other people to do something…

I’ve kind of lost where the thread has gone now.
    I started it as a bit of a joke, then a lot of people who take me far more seriously than I take myself, joined in.

I’m off out now to get some miles in before dark.
    The irony of that is that dozens of mountain bikers will have driven down here to ride round the Wyre Forest today.
    I live in the Wyre Forest and I’ll be heading off to the surrounding lanes and bridleways.

Garry_Lager

Up until these recent threads, I had never done a trailquest because I had no idea what it was all about. In future I’ll not do trailquests, but with a full understanding of why.

So thank you. Should you have a change of heart, there is actually an excellent one next weekend at the back of Innerleithen – Yarrow valley. details here.

The STW ear does not seem to be at our disposal regarding trailquests, but it doesn’t hurt to put a link up 🙂
    [Im not involved with organising these but have done a few and enjoyed them]

amodicumofgnar

Met couple who are organising the Yarrow valley one at Polaris definatley no marins, no tracksters. Think its the first one they’ve organised but sounds like they’ve put a lot of thought and effort into it and going off they’re Peak route choice its going to be more technical than tarmac.

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on, i’ve just had an idea…

my ideas are usually rubbish, so don’t get your expectations up.

here it is:

MTG / other trailquest organisers; how about identifying which checkpoints would yield the most fun riding?

“there may be 20 checkpoints, but numbers 2,4,7,8,10,12,15,17 have some really nice trails/views”

or “approach cp2 from the east for the best descent – swoopy singletrack ahoy!”

that kind of thing.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I like Werther’s Originals, might have to give trailquesting a go! 😛

BigJohn

As Winston Churchill (might have) said:

Try everything once, except incest, morris dancing and trailquests.

beanieripper
    Free Member

no thanks, I cant imagine anything would ruin the flow of my ride more than flipping trailquesting… on another note, are there any non mtb trailquests, for walkers and the like? You might have an easier time persuading them to sling a leg over a bike than you would persuading most mtb’ers that trailquesting isnt dull and geeky…

So…
    If you ignore those who missed the joke in the first post…
    And all those who pretended they missed the joke because they like to get all offended and indignant on the internet…
    And ignore those who clicked on a thread on a mountain bike forum with the word “challenge” in the title, then got outraged that the challenge would involve pedalling hard while trying to keep up with another rider…
    …there’s some interesting replies.
    You’ve only got to look at the Endomondo Challenge to see that STW is not the ideal place to recruit mountain bikers who like riding long distances and entering competitions. There’s less than 20 people logging 50+km a week.

Awhiles, organisers will generally mark things like “hoofy”, muddy” or “busy road” on the map to help with route choice.
    If you’re a beginner and not taking the competitive aspect too seriously, I’m sure they would give some advice on the most scenic route or the most fun trails.

amodicumofgnar

MTG / other trailquest organisers; how about identifying which checkpoints would yield the most fun riding?

This was the type of thing the Yarrow Valley people were talking about dont know if they’re doing it for this one or not.

For beginners the answer is probably that and spliting into two cats – fun and sports. Fun you get a timed map and timed route sort bit on top of the event time – say five mins just to speed people along you loose a point for every minute over the route sort time you loiter around. Other end give people fun people a plus point for every minute they come in early in the last fifteen mins of the event time.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I never tried a trailquest till earlier this year, thinking it was a bit lame, but thought I would give it a go as the event was round the corner and use it as training for other endurance races.

It was fantastic fun, blasting round the hillside, riding tracks that I never had before and racing others although you had no idea how well you were doing. I was a little all brawn and no brain, with a poorly chosen route and stupidly not understanding how the dibber worked so had to return to a check point later once I had worked it out, still did pretty well for my first time out.

I will definitely do another one, sadly the other end of the country for this one. It’s a good way to explore the terrain and be as competitive as you like. I would say for those that don’t like to race there something and for those who do, just set off at top speed and treat it like a race, try and prove the ‘nerdy’ trailquesters wrong; although, like me you probably will still be piped to the post by someone that can plan a route!

So would totally agree with Graham, give it ago, although disagree that Endomondo is a reflection of anything, I am at the lower end of that, but only because I do most of my miles on the road and rest up between races or do sprint work.

Crell
    Free Member

Here’s a general, constructive question. Do trailquests allow in kids / juniors (My son is 9) ?
    I fancied taking him on a local trailquest; just for the ride as much as anything else, but also an opportunity to build his map reading skills. I got a very unhelpful reply from a local organiser basically pointing me to a rubbish document that was more vague than anything. So is there a general restriction on under 16s? What about your event? cheers.

Garry_Lager

The Scottish MBO ones I’ve done are very family friendly – there’s a generational category for dads / mums and kids etc and there’s also a junior category. Seen one bloke riding a tagalong with a very young kid, other kids are older and riding with their das, some teenagers doing it by themselves etc.

Probably depends on the organiser – no idea why family entry wouldn’t be a clear cut yes for any local trailquest, but I’m not an organiser.

From the MTQ website;
    “Riders under 12 may not ride our events and riders between 12 & 16 must be part of a Generation Team (partnered by a rider over 18). Note that where league events apply, riders must have attained these ages on or before the date of the first event in the league.”
    I think there was a case recently where someone wanted to bring an under 12 with them and it was allowed.
    Contact the organiser of the event you’re interested in and it should be possible to work something out.

Cows in cars, all my cycling is done on a mountain bike. I realise that a lot of other mountain bikers also ride a road bike, so their mileage doesn’t show up on that Endomondo challenge.
    I just find it unusual how few people take part out of the hundreds who post on here.
    I guess, as has been discussed elsewhere, it’s because some people see mountain biking as a sport, whereas others see it as a leisure activity and have no interest in how they compare with other riders.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess, as has been discussed elsewhere, it’s because some people see mountain biking as a sport, whereas others see it as a leisure activity and have no interest in how they compare with other riders.

Nope – its because the format of a trailquest is neither fish nor fowl. its not a race where you don’t have to think about route and you are in a crowd, its not navigating your way with your mates to some great trails.

Many people have tried to explain its lack of appeal to you. I am a map geek, I am a mountain biker who loves to explore. I have done a few races. I have even done a bit of orienteering many years ago. However the format of these events simply looks lame to me and has no appeal at all.

hughjardon
    Free Member

I would be prepared to give a TQ a go, would be interested to know how much of your position would be down to fitness and how much down to map reading?

My map ready is OK, I think, the thought of riding the same bit of trail repeatidly because I can’t find the turn Im looking for does not appeal.

Im not fast XC wise but can bimble along for a few hours no problem, the idea of being beat by someone purely because he could read a map better than me does not appeal.

Would also take issue with the Endomondo challenge comment, Im a cyclist first and hence enjoy all types of riding, Im on the list but have (as I assume is correct) only uploaded ‘off road’ rides, which at this time of year (TT season) can drop off a bit.

grum
    Free Member

I just find it unusual how few people take part out of the hundreds who post on here.

It’s not necessarily that they have no interest in how they compare to other riders, it’s that clocking up stats on how many miles you do and being competitive about them is of no interest.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem at all strange to me. There’s a certain mentality required to diligently log rides (even if all you have to do is turn a phone on and press a couple of buttons) and it’s not one that most people possess. The vast majority of people ride for fun, how far/fast is of zero interest to them.

amodicumofgnar

My map ready is OK, I think, the thought of riding the same bit of trail repeatidly because I can’t find the turn Im looking for does not appeal.

Doesnt usually happen so long as you’re paying attention.

Im not fast XC wise but can bimble along for a few hours no problem, the idea of being beat by someone purely because he could read a map better than me does not appeal.

I’d say its more about interpreting the map and choosing the route than navigating round it that makes a difference. It probably takes a couple events to get a feel for the tactics bit.

Anoyingly for me – because I cant – things like running mounts and dismounts from the bike can make a difference. Might only be 10 secs every time you get on or off the bike but it can get to minutes very quickly. You want to be moving or beeping (punching in at a checkpoint) everything else is faffing.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope – its because the format of a trailquest is neither fish nor fowl. its not a race where you don’t have to think about route and you are in a crowd, its not navigating your way with your mates to some great trails.

This, totally. I enjoy racing hugely, no offence Graham but I’m very confident I could ride around on your wheel for 3 hours, and indeed I’ve considered doing one on the Surrey Hills a few times. The issue I have is that to do well you have to ride the boring trails – roads and fireroad is faster, so people (certainly on the ones I’ve seen around me) end up taking fast, but immensely dull, fireroads to make up the time. Where’s the fun in that!?

You’ve said yourself that you’ve been surprised by how quick XC racers are, this seems a little bit of a niche in which you can excel, belittle other people (you can now say AAAAAH, got you, it was a joke, but the fact is you come across as a bit of an idiot here) and be good, whilst not really being a very good racer!

xiphon
    Free Member

Not my cuppa, but I’m sure you will encourage more people to give it a go.

Good luck 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

, then got outraged that the challenge would involve pedalling hard while trying to keep up with another rider…

You seem to have missed the point of your other thread which is that people are put off TQs or more snappily named MTBO events not because they think they’re not physically challenging, but because they think they have all the charismatic allure of a 1970s three-piece suite in beige velour with a dusting of dog hairs and a crusty coating of congealed Angel Delight spills…

molgrips
    Free Member

I would be prepared to give a TQ a go, would be interested to know how much of your position would be down to fitness and how much down to map reading?

It’s a mix of course. And map-reading for these purposes is of a slightly different flavour to simple trail finding, if you want to do it well. It’s definitely a specific skill.

roads and fireroad is faster, so people (certainly on the ones I’ve seen around me) end up taking fast, but immensely dull, fireroads to make up the time. Where’s the fun in that!?

It can be fun because it’s against the clock. And if the course is well set it’ll be a toss-up between a much further fire-road or road route and a shorter but technical/steep bridleway.. so you have to gamble, and your legs determine if you win or lose.

Garry_Lager

You’ve said yourself that you’ve been surprised by how quick XC racers are, this seems a little bit of a niche in which you can excel, belittle other people (you can now say AAAAAH, got you, it was a joke, but the fact is you come across as a bit of an idiot here) and be good, whilst not really being a very good racer!

I think this is fair comment njee – better articulated before your edit, but still, TQs are a way to do a competitive event without having racing fitness. The decline of XC racing, shrinking of fields etc means there’s no room for the fatties any more. Things like TQs offer a gently competitive alternative to the weekend ride which seems an appealing feature to me. 99% of mTBers don’t have the legs to do an XC race, so the more event options the better.

“There’s a certain mentality required to diligently log rides…”
    and
    “…it’s that clocking up stats on how many miles you do and being competitive about them is of no interest.”

Yes, I’m just surprised at how few people on STW do it.
    If you look at http://www.fetcheveryone.com a running site, and click on anyone’s profile, there’s a list of all their PBs for every distance they have run. There’s also a page where people can set an annual mileage targetand keep track of how far ahead or behind they are.
    If you look on Sugden Barbell a weightlifting forum, then look underneath anyone’s avatar, you’ll see a list of lifting PBs.
    That’s the good thing about mountain biking though, isn’t it.
    Running and weightlifting are generally goal orientated, whereas mountain biking can be commuting, racing, recreational, exercise or any combination.

“I cant imagine anything would ruin the flow of my ride more than flipping trailquesting…”
    Looking at my GPS logs, I typically spend 15 – 20 minutes stationary during a 3 hour event. No forum ride I’ve ever been on has come anywhere near that level of “flow”.

“no offence Graham but I’m very confident I could ride around on your wheel for 3 hours”
    I’m sure you, and a lot of other people could.
    I still can’t believe people are taking my original post so deadly serious.
    Look at the ACU’s Are You Tough Enough event.
    I mean, what sort of a way is that to advertise a bike race, implying that you’re too soft to even finish the course. They’ll never get anyone to enter like that.

“…you have to ride the boring trails – roads and fireroad is faster…”

Where in the UK can you legally ride for 3 hours without using roads and fire roads ?

scruff
    Free Member

I just want to point out that the OP finds some Cannock Chase man made climbs difficult terrain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“…you have to ride the boring trails – roads and fireroad is faster…”

Where in the UK can you legally ride for 3 hours without using roads and fire roads ?

Scotland?

Mike_D
    Free Member

I still can’t believe people are taking my original post so deadly serious.

Ah, the “only joking!” defence. Tried, tested and generally found wanting 🙂

mountain biking can be commuting, racing, recreational, exercise or any combination.

Yes indeed. Different things to different people. Are you getting it yet?

I’m just surprised at how few people on STW do it.

Why are you surprised?

“Scotland?”
    Midland Trailquests. The clue’s in the name. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘A challenge for all those who think trailquesting is lame.’ is closed to new replies.