Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 369 total)
  • A Black Dog Named "Digger"?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    whilst having minimal impact on the German war effort
    Really? I knew you usually talked rubbish, but that’s quite exceptional. I often disagree with your views and find your evidence base questionable. However in the current case you appear to have over extended yourself.

this is a basic start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise#The_tactical_view

Lifer
    Free Member

“what’s brown and rhymes with ‘snoop’?”

Dr Dre

GrahamS

I see a lot of PC and non-PC handwringing by people who have probably never experienced racism.

To be clear: I’m a big white (pale blue) Scot, and I’ve never been on the sharp end of racism.

And I’m wringing my hands because I don’t think that rewriting history and pretending racism never happened is a step forward for anyone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And I’m wringing my hands because I don’t think that rewriting history and pretending racism never happened is a step forward for anyone.

Who’s pretending that racism never happened?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That jock up there

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sorry – am I being dim here or was calling a dog ‘****’ in the 1940s a racist act?

binners

Did they have gay dog’s in the 1940’s? Or was that still quite taboo?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sorry – am I being dim here or was calling a dog ‘****’ in the 1940s a racist act?

probably depends if you’re a moral relativist or not

GrahamS

The folk repainting a historical portrait to cover over the inconvenient unsightly bits on our brave boys.
    (See also the rewrite on Huckleberry Finn mentioned earlier)

That jock up there

I think you’ll find the correct term is “a sweaty”

kimbers

lifer 🙂

amazing load of stw bollox spouted as usual

who actually cares what the dog was called, its only a film
    people that see pc gone mad ™ conspiracy theories in this want to see them (they also seem to be the same people who dont like hiphop)

just for you heres some rap (that doesnt feature dre, snoop or eminem) but i like it anyway

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk[/video]

and heres another version

[video]http://vimeo.com/5452385[/video]

only 1 video features the bad word tho!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did they have gay dog’s in the 1940’s? Or was that still quite taboo?

No Gay dogs in the 1940s in fact, gayness was invented many years earlier by the Greeks. However, many of their discoveries were forgotten until the Renaissance, but the technology for gayness was only stumbled upon again in the late sixties

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

probably depends if you’re a moral relativist or not

Seeing as I don’t know what one is, I am not sure if I am one or not.

nickf
    Free Member

Was this a gay Muslim dog? Did it know any swans?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The folk repainting a historical portrait to cover over the inconvenient unsightly bits

And that’s pretending that racism never happened? Really?

Oh and Jesus, not the Huck Finn thing again…

backhander
    Free Member

I need to get a copy of blazing saddles quick.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thinking about it, it couldn’t have been racist could it?

They loved the dog – it was the common bond between all the men. So why would they give it a derogatory name normally used to insult black people?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thinking about it, it couldn’t have been racist could it?

They loved the dog – it was the common bond between all the men. So why would they give it a derogatory name normally used to insult black people?

You’re right those boys were alwright.

binners

Mastiles. Are you implying ‘the love that dare not speak its name’?

That between a black lab and a gay muslim swan?

highclimber
    Free Member

I personally disagree that history should be re-written because it upsets those that think a word might offend others. I had this discussion with a black friend of mine when the Huck Finn story came out and he said it was ridiculous that people find the need to get upset over what happend in the past and that we know better now and that was enough for him to not have to re-write something in order to please the minority.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Kimbers

Lego Wu = Best thing to come out of this thread.

McHamish
    Free Member

This guy named his black dog after the latin word for black…the racist.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if the name was not intended to be racist is it not more historically accurate to give it an inoffensive name in the remake?

GrahamS

And that’s pretending that racism never happened? Really?

Yep. It certainly is.
    Watching the original film these days you are struck and shocked by the very casual and socially acceptable use of a word that is now pretty taboo.

It tells you something interesting and relevant about where we were as a society at that time and where we are now. That’s a good thing IMO.

Copping out and pretending our boys were perfectly modern PC is (excuse the pun) whitewashing.

McHamish
    Free Member

This is where the racist dog is buried…

Shame he died before the dog could be tried at the Hague for war crimes.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

No good coming here with a sensible answer McHamish 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I personally disagree that history should be re-written because it upsets those that think a word might offend others.

It’s not really history though is it. History is more than just the retelling of stories isn’t it. The question about whether or not it was racist to call a dog **** in 1940, is intersting, especailly as the dog who played him in the film was actually called **** as well! Perhaps it was a common name for black dogs, the way Jet was a while back.

No doubt the original film had a number of other factual inaccuracies, but no one seems particularly bothered about them. So why so bothered about the dog?

This guy named his black dog after the latin word for black…the racist.

in fairness, we don’t know what he named it after do we. It just so happens that the name is a bit like the Latin name for black

McHamish
    Free Member

in fairness, we don’t know what he named it after do we. It just so happens that the name is a bit like the Latin name for black

True, but if he was a racist. why would he name his dog after people he didn’t like.

I don’t particularly like sex offenders, and I’m certainly not going to name my next pet ‘Paedo’.

Drac

Historical inaccuracies

The film is accurate historically with only a few minor exceptions, mostly derived from Paul Brickhill’s book, which itself was written when much detail about the raid was not yet in the public domain:

Barnes Wallis said that he never encountered any opposition from bureaucracy. In the film, when a reticent official asks what he can possibly say to the RAF to persuade them to lend a Vickers Wellington bomber for flight testing the bomb, Wallis suggests: “Well, if you told them that I designed it, do you think that might help?” Barnes Wallis was heavily involved with the design of the Wellington, as it used his geodesic construction method, but he was not the chief designer.

Instead of all of Gibson’s tour-expired crew at 106 Squadron volunteering to follow him to his new command, only his wireless operator, Hutchinson, went with him to 617 Squadron.

Crews for the operation were not all highly decorated and personally selected by Gibson; some crews were simply posted straight in.

Rather than the purpose as well as the method of the raid being Wallis’ sole idea, the dams had already been identified as an important target by the Air Ministry before the war.

Gibson did not devise the “spotlights altimeter” after visiting a theatre; it was suggested by Benjamin Lockspeiser of the Ministry of Aircraft Production after Gibson requested they solve the problem. It was a proven method used by RAF Coastal Command aircraft for some time.

The wooden “coat hanger” bomb sight intended to enable crews to release the weapon at the right distance from the target was not wholly successful; some crews used it, but others came up with their solutions, such as pieces of string in the bomb-aimer’s position and/or markings on the blister.

No bomber flew into a hillside near a target on the actual raid. This scene, which is not in the original version, was included in the copy released on the North American market (see above). (One bomber did crash near a target after being hit by the blast, and two or more may have crashed due to hitting power lines in the valleys.)

Some of the sequences showing the testing of Upkeep in the film are of Mosquito fighter-bombers dropping the naval version of the bouncing bomb, code-named “Highball”, intended to be used against ships. This version of the weapon was never used operationally.

At the time the film was made, certain aspects of Upkeep were still held classified, so the actual test footage was censored to hide any details of the test bombs, and the dummy bombs carried by the Lancasters were spherical rather than the true cylindrical shape.

So yeah let’s worry about the dog’s name.

GrahamS

Perhaps it was a common name for black dogs, the way Jet was a while back.

Oi!

highclimber
    Free Member

…History is more than just the retelling of stories isn’t it….

yes, its about learning what happen then and what happens now. How else are people going to know little facts about stories like what the dog in the dambusters was called!

there will be a generation of people that will think it’s something other than was it really was!

Lifer
    Free Member

I reckon the main reason for changing it is classification:

Historical context is taken into account, so that a re-release of the British war film The Dambusters can still get away with a labrador called “****” because this was a common name for black dogs in 1955. A proposed remake of the film, however, has struggled to gain a consensus on the acceptability of the dog’s name.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6565478.ece

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

True, but if he was a racist. why would he name his dog after people he didn’t like.

Oh, I’m not saying he was a racist naming his dog ****.

I don’t particularly like sex offenders, and I’m certainly not going to name my next pet ‘Paedo’.

I agree, but when I was in the force I knew a lot of dog handlers who called their dogs Peter (Sutcliffe). They weren’t fans of his.

binners

I knew a lot of dog handlers who called their dogs Peter (Sutcliffe).

Was that because they carried hammers?

Tiger6791

Mr Drac – Using your mod power you seem to have seriously knackered the forum page 😐

backhander
    Free Member

I think that ****** was quite a popular name for a dog in/with the military at the time. No idea why. I don’t think the military are racist. IME, everyone gets treated equally badly.

Drac

Oops it’s the list thing, I’ll sort that now.

trailmonkey

Perhaps it was a common name for black dogs, the way Jet was a while back.

it certainly was. my dad had a manchester terrier named **** during the war.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I don’t think the military are racist.

No of course not, the military are not racist. If, for example, the army were institutionally racist, we’d have heard something about that by now!

my dad had a manchester terrier named **** during the war.

Was he black? …

backhander
    Free Member

Charlie have you been in the military or are you just going by what the media tell you?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Charlie have you been in the military

No.

or are you just going by what the media tell you?

No

Are they the only two options?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 369 total)

The topic ‘A Black Dog Named "Digger"?’ is closed to new replies.