Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • 9/11 – where/what were you doing…
  • mrmo
    Free Member

i was at work and the only thought, took a while to happen but it was inevitable, the attitude of the US meant it would happen eventually.

NExt day went to london via heathrow on the coach, the number of fully kitted police, thought the **** has happened bit late to start worrying about it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A friend of ours was in NY and was watching it unfold out of her office window 😮

aP
    Free Member

I was on the 8th floor in 30 South Colonnade at Canary Wharf in meeting that'd lasted 2 hours. Came out and all the laptops were showing one of the towers on fire and people were just standing around looking at them. Asked what was going on and one of the guys told me what was going on. Just then they started to empty One Canada Square and there was talk of another plane coming into London. I had to pick something up at South Kensington so set off although there were increasing disruptions. When I went back to South Ken to head back to Chiswick the Tube network had shut down and there were huge queues for buses so I walked back to Hammersmith and managed to get a bus there.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Looking at houses with my GF, walked into one, the TV was on and we went home. Saw the second on TV as it happened, rest of the day in shock.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Much as everyone else, I remember watching it in silence and disbelief – to be frank, and I know it sounds stupid, at first I thought it was a film, couldnt get my head round the fact it was real. I found out a week or so later that an old school friend had died in the attack. Just a sad and tragic loss of life. For those of you who have inferred they had it coming, bear in mind that the victims of the attack were just people going about their daily routines, people like you and me in fact. Youre free to disagree with American foriegn policy, of course, but for God's sake, spare a thought for the people that died that day – they are not the ones that 'had it coming'.

Drac

Been out shopping with gift vouchers from our wedding, came home to phone ringing it was a friend telling us to turn the TV on. I asked what chanbel, he said it doesn't matter.

First plane had just hit and then I watched for the rest of the day. We should have been there for out honeymoon but couldn't afford to go after the dog got ran over.

mrmo
    Free Member

barnsleymitch, my opinion is not about the people who died which is a tragedy. The point is that something like this was IMO inevitable. In the same way as many british and irish citizens have died in the troubles, the individuals may have been innocent but the actions of those in power led to their deaths.

Like any war those in positions of power play games with the lives of others.

xcstu
    Free Member

I was at work and was told a light airplane had hit the twin towers…

slight surprise when I actually saw the footage!!!! totally gob smacked….

Makes you feel a shamed to be a human sometimes and what we do to one another 🙁

Houns

I was working in Telecomms and found out when we were getting customers calling us panicking that they couldn't get through to friends in NY

grumm
    Free Member

Does anyone remember what they were doing on the 9th of November? 😛

santac
    Free Member

Saw it on the news as I got home. I had to get away from it so went riding at Swinley no radio no phone and enjoyed the beauty of being alive and away from evil people that could be brain washed into doing such terrible deeds.

scant
    Free Member

working for GE in dorking, about to leave that job & take a few flights to get to New Zealand for a 2month holiday.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was at school, year 8 I think.. Someone said something about it when we were waiting for our buses, saw it on the news when I got home.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I was on a beach in Cornwall with me mum, Daymer Bay. We thought something was up when we saw all the transatlantic planes turning around, stacking and dumping fuel – then heading back east. I think we must have seen the first ones to turn back after being told that US airspace was closed.

CountZero

Filling a car up on the way back to work after visiting a client. Spent the whole evening glued to the TV.

yunki
    Free Member

For those of you who have inferred they had it coming, bear in mind that the victims of the attack were just people going about their daily routines, people like you and me in fact. Youre free to disagree with American foriegn policy, of course, but for God's sake, spare a thought for the people that died that day – they are not the ones that 'had it coming'.

I take a bit of offense at this comment.. Is it a troll..?
    Of course it's sad for the folk that lost family and friends..

My standpoint is that millions of ordinary people the world over have been happily going about their daily business and have faced large scale horror at the hand of Western foreign policy.. I just refuse to pay this particular act of war any more mind than any other act of war..

Why should we or the US feel that we can act with impunity..?

carlosg
    Free Member

We'd spent the day at Stonehenge and were doing some shopping in Salisbury on the way back to the campsite , walking through a shopping precinct there was a big crowd outside a shop we thought it must have been a good street performer so went to have a look.

Turned out the crowd was outside a tv rental place , the first tower had been struck and just as we saw the tellys in the window the 2nd plane hit.It was a very strange feeling to see something like this happen , we just walked away in a bit of a daze.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I had a hospital appt with my then 2yr old. We were just chatting to the consultant when the nurse came in and told us to come to the telly in the waiting area. My daughter's minor medical problems were then all but forgotten.

IA

Just parking the fiesta back from a ride at glentress when the radio was interrupted with the news, went inside put the telly on and it was odd, couldn't believe it at first.

yunki
    Free Member

seeing the second plane hit live on tv was odd.. I got a hollow feeling.. followed by a terribly real sense of foreboding..

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I was in work (school) and everything stopped while the news filtered through, TV's went on in classrooms, the whole school just fell silent…weird!

Bizarrely, doing some work with some Y10's (14) the other day I mentioned 9/11 and hey didn't know what it was which I thought was very sad and a bit ignorant but then I should have learned not to be surprised by now…

nickc

In Majorca with the family, Partners father had died recently and we all needed a holiday. One of the girls in the office told us about when I called her at the end of the day. Took ages to find an English speaking channel sat in the kitchen in total disbelief.

Flew back a couple of days later, the Spanish police were out of their minds at the airport, they'd been on duty since the attack and were all strung out. I remember scanning my sons bag through the x ray machine and he had a pair of plastic scissors for cutting paper, the private security were going mental, me and this Spanish cop looking at each other both thinking "has it come to this now?"…he waved me through.

yossarian
    Free Member

I remember my boss shrugging his shoulders as the second plan hit and saying something like 'the biggest terrorist nation in the world has just been boned up the ass'

harsh but true most likely

EDIT: I also remember remembering that GW Bush was in power and thinking 'oh sh!T!'

hora
    Free Member

Terribly sad and I say this carefully without meaning to sound callous but after years America finally got to feel what it is like for their civilians to be attacked on home soil.

I wonder how many IRA sympathiser/fundraisers reappraised their stance?

In the grandscheme of things America has committed numerous atrocities throughout the world. Far more than 2,000.

Sad but true.

noteeth
    Free Member

Was at work in the Bristol Royal Infirmary, on a cardiac surgery ward. Everybody trying to crack on with routine tasks, whilst watching the ward TVs (one per 4-6 bedded bay in those days) in mounting disbelief.

Regardless of the wider geopolitics, I still find the footage of those firemen – walking calmly towards buildings that were yet to collapse – intensely sobering. In the documentary 102 minutes you hear the fire control teams trying to contact units after the towers came down, and there is nothing – except the most appalling silence.

qwerty
    Free Member

sat in a classroom learning stuff – we all got sent home as soon as the second plane hit

very surreal and film like

i fekkin hate the political BS that the USA spout about terrorism since the atrocity – the fekkin years they openly allowed the IRA to be funded by their country is a disgrace

guido

Had day off work and i was at the door with a double glazing salesman when a housemate came out and said that a plane had just hit the WTC. I remember saying "that was a good shot" (i thought she meant a little plane, in an accident). Mr salesman came in and stayed watching BBC with us for a couple of hours.
    Then that afternoon my (then) GF rang from Athens (she greek)saying that people were dancing in the streets and celebrating-she was so happy.
    Yes, i told her where to go in no uncertain terms.

grumm
    Free Member

In the grandscheme of things America has committed numerous atrocities throughout the world. Far more than 2,000.

I'm sure I read somewhere that more people died in a single US bombing raid in Afghanistan than died on 9/11 in America. Which one gets tributes and days of mourning?

PaulMc
    Free Member

We had just finished the superb 'Valley of the 5 Lakes' ride on a beautiful, crisp, blue-sky morning in Jasper, Alberta and met an American couple at the 'trailhead'. They asked us about our bikes and we chatted for 10 minutes or so before they asked how we were going to get home. 'By plane, of course' we answered and they told us that Canadian airspace was closed. We had no idea as we were camping. It seemed surreal that they had chatted about trivia in the circumstances.

The next 5 days were strange. We didn't know whether our return flight would go, there was nothing else on the TV news in the bars, I witnessed a yank crying for ages down the payphone simply about the fact of the attack on his nation, another threatened anyone who said anything 'un-patriotic' in a restaurant. I was amazed at the expressions of guilt of the Canadians on the radio phone-ins because one of the bombers had entered the US via Canada. We spent our last evening next to a group of American and Canadian golfers in a bar in Canmore. Their unanimous reaction was 'oh shit, what is George W Bush going to do next?'.

crikey
    Free Member

I was at work, and spent the whole day explaining to people who couldn't believe why anyone would do this to the land of Disneyworld that American foreign policy over the last 30 years didn't just consist of Coke machines and McDonalds restaurants.

More than anything, it demonstrated the lack of a world view of politics held by the average Brit.

I worked with a couple of muslim lads, and the look on their faces was remarkably similar to the look on the faces of Irish fellas in the pub after any of the mainland bombings by the IRA back in the day.

Nobby

I heard it on the radio in my car, pulled over & rang into my office to see if any of our U.S. colleagues were involved. Nobody could tell as all communications with N.Y. were down. Tried ringing a few of them on their mobiles but the U.S networks were either shut down or simply overloaded.

Cancelled my meeting & went home to watch it all unfold on TV only to find out that the first plane had gone straight through 2 of my firm's floors…

Lost 374 colleages that day and, although I'd only had direct dealings with about half a dozen of those, there was an overwhelming sense of loss that I cannot explain to this day.

I'm still in touch with a couple of survivors and they are very different people than before it happened.

Bregante

I was visiting my sister in hospital after she had been assaulted by her then boyfriend. whilst there, the boyfriend turned up and security had to be called.
    He ended up putting his fist through a window and ended up being pinned to a stretcher whilst the staff tried to patch up his arm which was bleeding badly.
    I ended up having to help security pin him down to the stretcher whilst he was treated and at that point somebody told us what had happened seeing images of it on a tv monitor.
    All I will ever remember about the loser ex boyfriend is that he thought it was hilarious.

hora
    Free Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that more people died in a single US bombing raid in Afghanistan than died on 9/11 in America. Which one gets tributes and days of mourning?

Totally agree and/but the victims of 9/11 didn't chose to die for the US or represent them in that way either.

Victims of geopolitics. The President and his policymakers are always well protected whereas the citizens take their chances.

I mentioned this on a different thread but I was watching a 9/11 documentary the other night and it hit home how the emergency service staff who survived had to pick through and locate their own colleagues. 🙁

I worked off Oxford circus at the time and I remember sticking my head into a meeting and saying 'some small plane has just flown into the trade centre in NY'. Looking back it seems abit daft interrupting a meeting to say 'small plane' 🙄

For a few days after the Madrid Bombings I could get ANY seat on the trains from Croydon to Victoria and the tubes were alot emptier than usual. I remember thinking 'if there were to be too targets, the strike on London could happen at ANYTIME, not the day after Madrid.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hmmmm! 9th November? Not really sure what I was doing… 😀

hora
    Free Member

🙄 😀

racemonkey

I was working in some factory just inside the M25 when some guy came and told me that he'd just been watching the tv in the canteen and that a plane had flown into the WTC. I asked him what the punchline was and he walked away shaking his head.
    A short while later he came back again and said he'd just watched the second tower get hit.
    I phoned my wife and asked her what was going on and she said she was watching stuff she couldn't believe live on Sky news.
    I left that place asap and people there were making plans not to go towards the city as they were convinced London was going to be attacked next.
    I headed back to Bristol wondering if I'd ever get there when I realised the idiot Bush was in charge of the USA's nuke button.

rich_tee
    Free Member

I was at Frankfurt airport waiting for a flight to Heathrow. Was having a late lunch with my boss and her boyfriend called with the news…world trade centre…stock market crashing…

As we were flying business class, went through to the lounge to watch it. They had turned off all the televisions although I managed to get some update on their internet screens. Remember people talking into their phones about the fact they had people working in the buildings.
    Got back to heathrow which was a scene of bags everywhere with no people (I guess all in hotels) and got home just in time to see it on 10 o'clock news. glad i made it back.

aP
    Free Member

7/7 was interesting too.
    For those of you that have inquiring minds take a look at Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky for some thoughts as to why it might not have been unexpected.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

grum – Member

You read about a single US bombing mission in Afghanistan, during which almost 3,000 were killed and a further 6,000 injured?

Well, I'd love to read about that, could you provide a link please?

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry, it was that more civilians have died from US bombing in Afghanistan than died on 9/11 – not in one raid. 😳

Doesn't really make much difference to the point though.

Then you could add on the casualties from the Iraq war which was also justified using 9/11 as an excuse – but as we know funny coloured foreigners lives aren't worth as much as westerners.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘9/11 – where/what were you doing…’ is closed to new replies.