Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 745 bars – what stem length?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

I was out riding yesterday [not on my usual trails] and for the first time since fitting my 745 bars, was riding fast, swoopy terrain.

I love my setup as is is currently, and would prefer not to cut down the bars, but I found I was struggling on one fast, twisty section in particular.

I’m still running the 70mm stem I used with my narrower bars and reckon 50mm is the obvious step to regain a bit of responsiveness.

Is 50mm about ‘standard’ for wider bars?

flyingmonkeycorps

I run 760s with a 50mm stem, so that would seem like a good place to start…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Stem length is to make the bike fit you. there is no standard length.

ska-49
    Free Member

Currently running 50mm easton havoc with a 745mm sunline v1 bar.
    Very nice setup. Stiff and light!

greeble
    Free Member

run 760 on a 70mm stem
    and 750 on 50mm

I find anything shorter than 70mm for trail riding too short

vorlich
    Free Member

As is stands, the bike feels ‘right’ for my local trails, so I’m not sure about going shorter. I was just caught by suprise a bit yesterday [also, maybe my line choice was questionable]. I expect if I was riding those trails often I’d learn to better cope with that section with my current setup.

So I’m not sure I have enough ‘data’ to base a purchase on. I guess this means riding some different trails more often and getting out of my local trail comfort zone a bit.

gingerss
    Free Member

I found a 20mm reduction in stem length was right for me when going from 685 to 750.

mboy
    Free Member

Stem length is to make the bike fit you. there is no standard length.

This

I’ve still got a 90mm stem with my 711mm bars on my hardtail, but shock horror on my Full sus… Got 762mm Sunline flat bars with an 85mm stem!!! I know, I am bound to die sooner or later… Of embarrassment if nothing else! 😉

Seriously though, even if you’re running mega wide bars, you shouldn’t really need to bring your stem in by much.

vorlich
    Free Member

762mm Sunline flat bars with an 85mm stem

Clearly, mboy is short for monkeyboy 😉

I take the point. But expect that different [by 20mm] lengths could both be within an acceptable/comfortable range to fit a person, but giving slightly different riding position and handling characteristics.

messiah
    Free Member

I like 45mm so much that I run it on both my bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

Clearly, mboy is short for monkeyboy

haha

the bars have got something like 12 degrees of sweep on them, certainly they effectively shorten the stem by 15-20mm. It’s an adjustable crown mounted stem on my Maverick forks too, so I might try running it at 75mm to see how it feels. But I don’t like to be too cramped.

postridecake
    Free Member

I’ve got a 120 mm hope stem and 747mm sunline bars on my p7 and she’s stable as hell on the downhills,plus climbing is much less of a chore .

postridecake
    Free Member

I’ve got a 120 mm hope stem and 747mm sunline bars on my p7 and she’s stable as hell on the downhills,plus climbing is much less of a chore .

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a 65mm Sunline one with my 745mm V1’s

thomthumb
    Free Member

I found a 20mm reduction in stem length was right for me when going from 685 to 750.

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘745 bars – what stem length?’ is closed to new replies.