Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • 7 seater luxury 4 x 4s – anyone got an XC90, Q7 or X5?
  • shifter
    Free Member

The thing is here, we’re talking about faux by four tanks.

In what way are they false? They do exactly what the designer designed them to do. The designer designed a big four wheel drive car because there was a demand for big four wheel drive cars. Do you think they’re bad because they’re not Defenders? That’s a bit silly. Not all cars are the same. The only mountain bikes that really need suspension are downhillers, so all the others must be “faux” sussers eh?

anagallis_arvensis

Mboy I think you have missed the point. My son is far more important to me than anyone elses and you cannot expect society to not act in a way that goes against this. You dont really have kids do you?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@geetee I don’t think many people see the need to justify their car choice. It’s pretty clear who here hasn’t driven something like a twinturbo X5 or a tdv8 RRS though. They handle better than many cars with sporting pretensions, have a great driving position, are supremely comfortable and very very fast for such big vehicles. 1000 mile trips fly by in airmchair comfort. Awesome things really, if I was still doing stellar mileage I would have another faux by four in an instant.

br
    Free Member

@geetee I don’t think many people see the need to justify their car choice. It’s pretty clear who here hasn’t driven something like a twinturbo X5 or a tdv8 RRS though. They handle better than many cars with sporting pretensions, have a great driving position, are supremely comfortable and very very fast for such big vehicles. 1000 mile trips fly by in airmchair comfort. Awesome things really, if I was still doing stellar mileage I would have another faux by four in an instant.

Gotta disagree with you here though, for stellar mileage you want a good quality sporting saloon – far safer if only due to their lower centre of gravity, and quieter due to not having a ‘hatch’.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Gotta disagree with you here though, for stellar mileage you want a good quality sporting saloon – far safer if only due to their lower centre of gravity, and quieter due to not having a ‘hatch’.

We’ll have to agree to disagree 🙂 After years travelling round Europe in all sorts of posh BMWs and Mercs, the absolute best car for this sort of thing I find is a TDV8 RRS, the combination of the high driving position (I find this less tiring over long distances) and the air suspension make it a brilliant continent crosser. I don’t think they make them any more.

mboy
    Free Member

I understand your point entirely, it’s the same one everyone else uses. I know that as a parent, there is nothing more important to you than your own child. I get that. My point is there’s 7 billion other people on the planet, and only you and your spouse share the same view… Whether I have kids or not is wholly irrelevant.

So accepting that in the grand scheme of things, nobody’s kids are actually more important than anyone else’s (save for if you know yours is going to cure cancer, or create world peace perhaps) then society perhaps needs to start looking beyond the end of its nose a little bit, beyond the (all too well pointed out by some members on this thread) “I’m alright Jack, f*** you” attitude.

Life is still worth a fair bit in the UK thankfully, but in many countries life is cheap. Life will only get cheaper (and commodities more and more expensive) as the world population grows and grows. Whether we choose to be part of the solution to the worlds problems, or be selfish and look after our own, is what I’m trying to get at… Wanting to look out for your own is human nature, and is commendable, but in the modern world all too often it can mean putting others at risk or depriving others of an opportunity in life. You might just say that “life isn’t fair” and indeed you may be right. But to say that attitudes can’t or won’t change? 3 generations ago or less, the motor car was seen as the thing that was going to revolutionise the world and solve all our problems. Then more recently it was international jet travel. Both are sliding rapidly down the scale of social acceptance as time goes by. When there’s 50 billion people on the planet, 4/5ths of them can’t afford to eat, to fuel a motorcar for a week costs an entire months average wages and nobody can get any life insurance, who’s to say that people’s perceptions on the importance of human life won’t have altered?

On that note, enjoy the rest of your day… 😉

richmtb

That’s a bit silly. Not all cars are the same. The only mountain bikes that really need suspension are downhillers, so all the others must be “faux” sussers eh?

True to a certain extent. But what would be the MTB equivalent of a Q7?

A Nomad carbon with slick tyres, road bike gearing and a gel saddle the size of an armchair

grum
    Free Member

The crux of the matter is that some people don’t like the fact that someone else can afford to buy and run a bigger and more expensive car than them.

Except we already established that isn’t the case. Just repeating something over and over again doesn’t make it true. Just because you don’t have a social conscience you assume no-one does.

You’re only saying that because you’re jealous of people in 4x4s, clearly.

shifter
    Free Member

I don’t like that someone else can afford to buy and run a bigger and more expensive car than me, because of the way they avoid tax. I think that may be a thrant for another time 😐

Karinofnine

The government want us to think cars are bad so they can charge us more tax. Let’s have a little think about this…. Pious, sorry Prius, NEW, shipped here from Japan (with nasty poisonous batteries in it – also you have to consider how the electricity is generated) v. old, well-maintained car. Nope, doesn’t stack up in favour of the Pious (sorry, Molgrips, I know you have found your true love).

Something I thought of the other day, peds walk out in front of noisy cars, it’s gonna be carnage when everything’s electric and silent!

People are so ready to judge one on one’s car, without having any regard for the rest of one’s life. I use my car to tow my caravan, yes it probably gives out more co2 but remember the Tesco ad where the family have two cars and are rushing around ferrying their children hither and thither? Bet you I emit less co2 than that model!

If cars are SO bad, the government had a chance to reduce our car usage when the recession hit. What did they do? They introduced the scrappage scheme to ENCOURAGE people to buy new car.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is an old banger really more environmentally friendly than a q7?

Karinofnine

I reckon so, once you take into consideration all the resources required to create a brand new car… just my opinion though 🙂 but really my point is that we have to consider our carbon footprint (in the modern vernacular) in the round, rather than pick on our car usage.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What if you run over your own kids in the 4×4? Won’t you feel like an idiot…

Karinofnine

Interesting RichPenny.

Would they be more or less dead after being hit by a 4×4 than a 2 wheel drive car? Why am I more (or less) likely to run over children in my car than any other car?

Am I more or less likely to speed in my car? Given that I do tiny miles per year, mostly on motorways (where there are no children) am I more or less likely to squish a child than the “family hatchback” mob?

Sorry, but I’m not having it.

Who wants to run over a child anyway? It makes a terrible smell if the body parts get on the exhaust pipe and it takes ages to pick the bits out of the tread of your tyres, plus all those forms to fill in, going to the police station when you could be driving around depleting the ozone layer…

JOKE!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bet the guys in their cayennes or x5s don’t have an opinion on some other guy’s vectra.

They probably dont have opinions on anything. It turns out you have to be dull, soulless and fairly square shaped to be allowed to buy one of those monstrosities.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Would they be more or less dead

The children of 4×4 owners are more or less lifeless anyway.

Ive seen them, there’s lots in the lake district.

Dad, in the front. In the zone. Man and machine in harmony. Running on pure testosterone.

Kids in the back staring out the window. A dead look in their eyes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There was a study conducted a few years ago that concluded that dads who have run of the mill cars make better fathers and their kids are less likely to act like **** during a meal at a pub/restaurant.

druidh
    Free Member

Go DT. You’re on a roll!!

Karinofnine

davidtaylforth – Member

There was a study conducted a few years ago that concluded that dads who have run of the mill cars make better fathers and their kids are less likely to act like **** during a meal at a pub/restaurant.

Ye gods, you don’t live round here then!

BTW, I don’t have any testosterone (nor am I envious of those who do).

Anyway, to the point. Are people hit by 4x4s deader than people hit by buses? Artics? Dustbin lorries? Scaffold lorries? (which completely give me the willies BTW – even after 40 years on the road), coaches. What about a Rolls Royce? They are big and heavy. See? On examination, picking on 4x4s doesn’t really stand up.

richmtb

I’m all for ostentatious displays of wealth. I love fast expensive cars. I genuinely smile when I see a Ferrari or Lamborghini, or a Rolls Phantom for that matter.

I just don’t get why people would blow £60k on a posh Citreon Picasso 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you hit someone in a 4WD they are more likely to be injured than if you hit them in a small car. That is a fact. I believe, though am willing to be corrected, that a 4WD is likely to be more dangerous than a car of equivalent weight due to impact height. Apparently this is more relevant for children because they are likely to go under the wheels rather than over the bonnet, IYSWIM?

Don’t see many artics or scaffolding lorries used as personal transport, but you are correct that they’re more dangerous. Good thing there isn’t more of them on the road….

mudmuncher

I love 4×4’s

Especially when I’m in the wrong lane on the motorway about to miss a junction and need to push in.

Simply look for a 4×4 in the queue and cut in front of it, relieves any guilt you might feel as you know the driver is likely to be a selfish tw*t anyway. Extra points if they have private number plates. 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I love 4×4’s

Especially when I’m in the wrong lane on the motorway about to miss a junction and need to push in.

Simply look for a 4×4 in the queue and cut in front of it, relieves any guilt you might feel as you know the driver is likely to be a selfish tw*t anyway. Extra points if they have private number plates.

😀

They also make for a durable, rugged door prop for when you’re loading shopping into your car at Asdas

RustySpanner

The correct choice is a Fiat Doblo 7 seater, with winter tyres.
    High seat, loads of space and people smile ‘cos they can’t believe you’re driving something THAT ugly. 🙂

Karinofnine

You know what? I just typed out a really long, measured reply. But actually anti 4×4-ers aren’t going to listen to reason so please disregard the views of someone who has driven for 40 years and commuted to work by bike for 30 years next year, and please continue to believe the government/Sun/Mirror.

Karinofnine

You know people say “oooh I don’t know what hit me” ?

Well, now you do.

Sorry for being so anti, but this hysteria really gets on my tits. Mine’s Storm Blue, by the way.

Mudmuncher. Ah yes, hilarious. This is the reason why lorries/coaches and caravans crash – no-one ever sees the stupid **** in the car who caused the accident.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hitler used to drive a 4×4

RichPenny
    Free Member

so please disregard the views of someone who has driven for 40 years

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tiredness can kill. Take a break

If you’re a 4×4 driver it won’t kill you though. Only the young child whose body crush into the tarmac

Karinofnine

Ha ha, yes I get it, but no, I’m not tired, bored with the media-fuelled hysteria though.

I was out in my car earlier, air-con on, servo-assisted brakes and clutch, power steering, I don’t think I squished any children into the tarmac, but their cries may have been drowned by Frogstomp on the stereo and the roar of 3 turbo-charged-inter-cooled-litres…

I’m not normally so arsey, but this whole car/blame thing gets right on my wick

mt
    Free Member

since all you parents a busy using up the worlds resources with your off spring I’ll carry on with my 4×4 to compensate for not having any kids. After all you’d want to make sure we lived in a fair country.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll carry on with my 4×4 to compensate for not having any kids.

So its really true!

A 4×4 is just a compensator for a small penis.

mboy
    Free Member

DT and RP, you two genuinely just made me laugh!

Karin, I think to some extent you are an exception to the rule. If you’re mostly towing when you drive, aren’t doing big milages, and aren’t trying to justify £60k on a new machine cos its “safer for the kids” but are indeed running around (correct me if I’m wrong) in a vehicle that’s over 10 years old anyway…

Sometimes there is a need, sometimes there is a place, but it’s certainly not for just dropping the kids off at school in the morning…

I’m all for ostentatious displays of wealth. I love fast expensive cars. I genuinely smile when I see a Ferrari or Lamborghini, or a Rolls Phantom for that matter.
    I just don’t get why people would blow £60k on a posh Citreon Picasso

Hey man, don’t be so unfair! The Citroen Picasso is a genuinely useful family vehicle, with lots of space for its occupants, well thought out load space, and it rides comfortably on its normal sized wheels and tyres. It doesn’t make you look like a wannabe drug dealer unlike a Q7 or an X5! 😉

mt
    Free Member

“davidtaylforth – Member

I’ll carry on with my 4×4 to compensate for not having any kids.

So its really true!

A 4×4 is just a compensator for a small penis”

Oh that was so hurtful you nasty, nasty man. I’m still driving my 4×4 on a sunny day with no requirement for such a vehicle, I love it. Tell you what if it rains tomorrow I’ll look for a puddle to drive through. Will that help you feel better?

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a Fiesta.

…I also have a small penis.

Karinofnine

Hi Mark, yes, Jinx The Devil Car is 11 years old.

The first car I drove was a half-timbered Morris (the Traveller).. since then I’ve driven Ford Pop sidevalve, 1955 Austin Princess, Vauxhall Viscount (3.3L auto), Vauxhall Victor Estate (got a motor bike and sidecar on the roof of that and drove back from ? can’t remember now), P6 Rover (juicy as ****), Mk I Granada 3L saloon (WANT ANOTHER ONE – but realise these are like rocking horse shit) many M II Granadas (2L and 2.8i Ghia – glorious car but did like a drop of petrol). Fiat something, can’t remember, went like stink tho) – oh, lots of cars – great fun. Drove an artic (but only in a car park 🙁 – would have loved to take it out on the road). Can drive a tractor too, with trailer (leading in corn from a combine harvester) and leading in bales with a bale spike, haven’t learnt to plough… yet.

mt
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I have a Fiesta.

you need a 110, the smaller the willy the longer the wheel base.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

you need a 110, the smaller the willy the longer the wheel base

😀

druidh
    Free Member

I do so hope it was intentionally ironic that you posted such a small photo.

mt
    Free Member

I wanted a 130 but was told I did not qualify.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘7 seater luxury 4 x 4s – anyone got an XC90, Q7 or X5?’ is closed to new replies.