• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by murf.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 7 month old in a bike trailer off-road?
  • Akegata
    Free Member

My son (nearly 6) and I are planning a glentress trip tomorrow.

Would taking the trailer with my 7 month old in around the green be a ridiculous idea? Son is keen to do something with his sister and I thought a little green poodle before we do a blue or red could be nice.

But could a I get the trailer around the green, and should I with a 7 month old?

allthepies
    Free Member

She’ll love the poodle for sure, ‘specially if it’s green 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I wouldn’t. My younger one (17 months) gets so bounced about on the Weeride seat if I don’t avoid the bumps, and a 17 month old is a lot sturdier than a 7 month old! If the green is super smooth and you’re going slowly enough then maybe.

Yak

Yes, you can get a trailer around the green. It’s very smooth. Can your daughter hold her head up well?

Akegata
    Free Member

She holds her head up fine way more active than her brother ever was. Can’t remember when I first took him out and probably thought nothing of it. But just googled “what age baby trailer” and there are many hysterical websites that would suggest I will shake her brain and give her brain damage. Likely untrue but set doubts in my mind.

hatter

We did ‘proper’ off road from about 13 months and that was in a Chariot with proper suspension and the baby supporter that gives them significantly more neck and core support.

Personally I haven’t come across a 7 month old with the neck control to handle more than carefull road use behind the bike.

Your mileage may vary but personally I wouldn’t until they’re at least a year old. Especially if the trailer is a simpler model with less cushioning and neck support.

…and yeah, it is maddening waiting for them to be ready.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

suggest I will shake her brain and give her brain damage

That would be my biggest fear therefore I wouldn’t risk it.

murf
    Free Member

I took my son in a trailer from 8 months, round Kirroughtree (not the rough techy bits!), Carron Valley and various forest roads.
    That was in a Chariot cougar, he was well supported with enough head control. He was delighted with it, is almost 6 now and still begs me to take him out in the 2 seater Burley that I got when son No.2 came along.

Just take it easy and he/she will be fine. My wife is a physiotherapist and ok’d it all so that was enough for me 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘7 month old in a bike trailer off-road?’ is closed to new replies.