Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 7 billion people on the planet? How do they know?
  • binners

Eh? All the press are confidently asserting that the 7 billionth child will be born today

think of a number?

I don’t get how anyone can possibly know this. People are karking it and being born all the time. Are they still counting Jimmy Saville? Does anyone know how they calculate it? Surely its like trying to guess how many grains of sand are on a beach? Pure guess-work

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But a useful peg to hang whatever campaign They want to launch next…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Accuracy = Zero (probably).
    For all anyone really knows, it happened days ago.

But it’s a nice whole number for a headline I suppose.

And it satisfies the human love/obsession with measuring and counting every little flipping thing.

Harry_the_Spider

Are they still counting Jimmy Saville?

Just spat some biscuit into my keyboard.

crazy-legs

It’s apparently surprisingly accurate – people have been keeping accurate birth/death/marriage records for centuries.

The error either way is about 56 million so it’s (as usual) the press being utterly stupid in failing to understand statistics. The 7 billionth person may have been born last week or be born next week but when you’re talking about 7 billion, being out by 56 million isn’t that big a deal.

Sort of related, that commonly spouted “statistic” of there being more people alive now than have ever died is also bollox. Got to love it when the papers try to do science… 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

…and don’t forget, at least one of them is hora.

bonj
    Free Member

It’s apparently surprisingly accurate – people have been keeping accurate birth/death/marriage records for centuries.

Have they?

hora
    Free Member

…and don’t forget, at least one of them is hora

8)

crikey
    Free Member

😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

So what is the growth percentage and doubling time now, does anyone know?

hora
    Free Member

At the end of the day we are intelligent bugs.

If our planet imploded no one in the Universe would miss us.

SaxonRider
    mboy
    Free Member

7 millionth born today, how do they know?

Cos Chuck Norris told ’em, after he delivered it, that’s how!

mboy
    Free Member

And what crazy legs said, glad to see there is still the odd person who understands statistics, certainly the media don’t as you rightly point out!

binners

If our planet imploded no one in the Universe would miss us.

What about God? Surely she’d be a little bit miffed?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The seven billionth child was born in the Philippines. She got a cake and a voucher for some free shoes. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

What about God? Surely she’d be a little bit miffed?

Well he’d have to do another week’s work again I’m sure, so considering he’s had the last few hundred million years off I expect he would be a bit miffed to suddenly have to get off his arse for a week!

robere3
    Free Member

yeh they know how many are in the universe but not how many come in n out our country each year how does tht work

MrGrim

What about all the births in areas where there are no records? In areas that were covered in the Human Planet programmes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sort of related, that commonly spouted “statistic” of there being more people alive now than have ever died is also bollox. Got to love it when the papers try to do science…

Assuming approximately exponential growth with a positive % increase?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘7 billion people on the planet? How do they know?’ is closed to new replies.