Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 650b.
  • starsh78
    Free Member

just watched a vid on PB Its gonna win.

kimbers

its already won

29er = betamax

sputnik
    Free Member

Best of both worlds.
    Going to take a while but its here to stay.
    Starsh, link to the vid?

packer
    Free Member

Anyone tried putting 650b wheels on their 26″ wheel bike? If so how are the clearances?

LoCo
    Free Member

I rider I support, has been testing 26/650/29er timed, the 650 was a quick as the 29 but offered better cornering and more ‘snap’ out the corners so over a stage race will be less effort due to the slightly reduced effort to move the biek around. and is now running 650, his 650 with a low profile tyre didn’t quite fit in a set of Sid’s but did in the Fox f120’s.
    The foxs were lowered in travel to keep the geo ok as well.

The difference in diameter between my 2.4 Fat albert evos on Mavic 819 rims and his 650 with the low profile tyres was about 10 to 7mm larger diameter for the 650.
    Thinkinhg about putting 650 on the front of one of my bikes for a play too now.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Anyone tried putting 650b wheels on their 26″ wheel bike? If so how are the clearances?

check mtbr – a billion threads

savage62
    Free Member

650 looks right to me, 29ers never have (if it doesn’t look right then normally it isn’t!), nor have they suited the type of riding I mainly do (AM/FR), but 650’s look right on a bike and i’m keen to try some if they do indeed offer the best of both worlds

Janesy
    Free Member

26″ are good for ‘lady bikes’ lmao! coffee nearly went on my screen.
    Im all for 650b but now im going to have to spend some more Cash – I dont want to ride ‘lady bikes’

mattjg
    Free Member

” We couldn’t come up with a ride negative. It doesn’t steer as fast as a 26er, but we never found a trail so tight that this made a difference. It didn’t roll over the rough sections as smoothly as the 29er, but again, it wasn’t a big enough difference to put the 27.5 rider off the wheel of the 29er.”

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Shootout_Wheel_Wars_29_vs_275_vs_26_5159.aspx

(I like the look of that Jamis).

gee
    Free Member

I think it’s ace – this was a 26″ bike before. There is a slight tendency to step out on a flat fast corner due to the higher BB but you get used to it.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/salsa-ala-carte-titanium-650b

GB

starsh78
    Free Member

I reckon 10 years down the line i think it will be pretty standard with 26 relegated to the cheap £99 bikes.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

here is my 2012 ns surge with 650b and it works a treat ! fox forks are fine with a 2.25 racing ralph tyre and the rear is fine too . But the rear end of my surge has sliding drop outs so slammed it as far back as it would go . As the handling its perfect ! just a bit more stable on the downhills and abit more grip 🙂

002 by bluerichiepig, on Flickr

alex222
    Free Member

So you can just put 650b wheels in any old/new frame then?

shepleg
    Free Member

Not really, there are clearance issues on some frames and forks.

richieokeefe1 have you actually ridden that in mud yet though? the clearance with those forks is rather tight

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

no its just the angle tbh, there is half inch clearance 🙂

matt_outandabout

Just chuck on Bontrager XR4 2.35’s on X317 rims. Tall tyres 😯 indeed – 650b 640ish for free.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Problem with just sticking a set of big 26er tyres on is you have poor rolling resistance on normal xc trails . With my 2.25 650b I get the same effect as as 2.4 tyre but a rolling resistance of a 2.2 tyre 650 b and yes I have tried both 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘650b.’ is closed to new replies.