• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ajr.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 6'3" Ogre needs advice for new mountain bike.
  • BigAd
    Free Member

My Kona Cowan has served me well for about 5 years now. I am looking for solid, reliable bike to take its place.
    Looking for 120-140mm travel. Maybe 150mm (Remedy etc).
    I have considered a bottlerocket but think even the Large frame’s top tube may be on the short side for more general riding and a little climbing. I am not interested in racing anyone to the top of the hill but I am happy to climb to the best downhills without needing to see a “Back-quack” after the effort.
    I have considered the likes of a Stumpy Evo but am worried that the pressure I would have to pump any air suspension would leave me better off staying with a hard tail and running an open bath-coil fork.
    Rockshox’ extra firm spring, for U-turn coil forks is not firm enough for my weight.
    Fox only really do the 36 Vanilla R which has too much travel.
    Marzocchi 55 RV’s should do the job with 140mm reducer fitted but stocks are limited (perhaps on a cotic bfe frame or similar).
    I would like to hear from you if you weigh over 100kgs/16 stone, with setup or suggestions for setup.
    I will consider any bike you think may be up to the task, so don’t be shy to let me know what you love and hate.
    Thanks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant and Trek have a good track record of making bigger framed bikes. Worth a look there.

I’m not that light and run air shocks with no problem at all.

Russell96

I’m 6ft2 and 16 & 1/2 stone, never had any problems with blowing any air shocks or forks. I run both pairs of RS Revs and one pair of Rebas at 110psi and I know of lot heavier riders on air forks and shocks.

br
    Free Member

Magura Thors’ on a HT should sort you out.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you’re really an ogre you’ll need to get something that doesnt clash with green skin.

Trekster

My mate, 2inches taller than you on his Orange5

He also has a 224 for downhill days 😆

ton

21 stone here.
    air forks always in either 26” or 29” flavour.
    dhx5 coil shock on my old heckler no worries.
    rp23 air on my ventana 29r no worries.

and 16 stone aint big really is it?………………. 😉

druff
    Free Member

I’m 6’6″, around 17 stone and have recently purchased a Bottlerocket. I’ve done a fair amount of riding on it so far and I’ve noticed the shorter top tube length, but not overly so – my other bike is an XL Chameleon.

I wouldn’t want to do an all day ride, with masses of ups on the Bottlerocket – but from what you describe above, it doesn’t sound as though that’s your plan either.

Surf Sales, the distributor for Transition in this country were fantastically helpful in organising a demo Bottlerocket for me, I ended up having it for about a week – do give them a call if you’re considering one. During my demo, I took it to the Surrey Hills for an all day session, a couple of sessions at Woburn and on a couple of my normal routes around home – hope that gives you some idea at least of the terrain I’ve based the above opinion on.

Basil

17 stone can not get my fox shox 100mm 29 er Giant to do anything other than sag or not move. Good luck.

Lummox

i’m 6’4″ and have

a 20″ five for general riding (ditched the rp23 for a fox van coil)

an 18″ patriot for mucking about on

and a 19″ p7 with 130 forks

notice a theme? basically i’ve thrashed all these bikes and they’re still going.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

I am around 17 stone and my Pitch is great. Changed the original shock to a rp23 and the forks to Revelations.

ampthill

100 kg on a fuel ex. Doesn’t seem a problem for me. I’m no where near max pressure in forks or shock

I think that loads of MTB products are designed in the US where lots of consumers are over 100 Kg so I wouldn’t worry about it

takisawa2

Just save yourself a lot of messing about and get a Ventana now rather than later.

big_scot_nanny

What talisawa2 said. 6’4″, 19st, el capitan is amazing. rear is plush. Wonderful. Never really been happy with the forks though. Interested to see what you go for, as I have not yet been able to set up the Reba’s to my liking. I have found fox brilliant. Got a new set of 180 talas 36ers on my small bike, and they are sooooo good. And so bloody easy to set up.

bigpole
    Free Member

orange five 2012 – 22″ Five works perfeck for the 6’6″ 16 stone trail crusher that is me!

benjbish

I’m 6’4″ and 100kg. Have just bought a Santa Cruz Superlight with rp23 and Fox 32 Floats…. no problems at all. Feels more than burly enough for me.

tablesalt
    Free Member

you dont need as a big of frame as you think you do.

Edric64
    Free Member

I wish bigger than 20 inch frames were more available as 400mm posts are not long enough for me in one

nosedive
    Free Member

a specialized pitch would suite you, nice long top tube. I hear there is a good value one for sale on the classifieds 😉

ampthill

Edric. It is sadly the case that many manafacturers just don’t make a full range of sizes. In cluding lpads of the Uk based frame brands. This is a area where Specialized and Trek are doing a better job

ajr
    Free Member

]null[/url]]null[/url]]null[/url]2012 Ventana frames. 26″, 69er, 29er.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘6'3" Ogre needs advice for new mountain bike.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM