Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • 5k running times?!
  • fwatson1990
    Free Member

Just started some running training to get my fitness back up, whats everyones km/hr pace?no idea whats good and bad but i think im probably totally average at 1km/5min…

whitestone
    Free Member

You might want to get a cup of tea and read this thread – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-running-2018-thread-beginnersultraswhatever/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not a runner really, only just started pretty much bang on a year ago. I’d say 5.00/km is just about my conversational pace, target is a sub 20 in the next couple of months. Get on the big running thread, some great advice and positivity on there.

fwatson1990
    Free Member

perfect, cheers boy

stumpy01

Started running at the end of August last year after ~20 years of no running to speak of.
    Current fastest 5k over the last month or so was at 4:42/km pace. It felt pretty quick, but I’m sure it’s somewhere around meh & distinctly average in the scheme of things.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Over what distance? Is this just your ‘popping out for a run’ pace or your PB pace?

I run at anything between 4:30/km and 6:00/km, depending on the distance and purpose of the run.

At my running club, I would say I’m fairly average for the male runners.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I see there was a young lad ran the fastest recorded parkrun a few weeks back, 13 odd minutes? ooft.

fwatson1990
    Free Member

I’ve just started running again this year, cant remember the last time i went for one. ive created a 5k loop on strava now to keep track of my times. Only ran twice so far and both times were pretty much exactly 5min/km so the aim is just to take it slow and see how much i can improve. Dont get out biking much during the week especially in winter so it gives me something to work on

mogrim

For a middle-aged man sub 20 is a good time (4min/km). You won’t win anything at that pace, but you’ll be top 5-10% of most races.

WildHunter2009

5 Min / KM is currently faster than i’m doing 🙁 Currently about a 27 minute Parkrun. I dream of a sub 25 at the moment ha.

CraigW
    Free Member

I have done 19 minutes for a 5k race.
    I could probably get a bit faster if I did some proper training, eg intervals. I usually can’t be bothered, and just do long steady runs instead.

A lot depends on the course. Are there any hills, and what surface. My local Parkrun is on grass and muddy in places, so not the fastest.

rossburton
    Free Member

My running pace has been 6min/km for many years. Fast enough for me…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do not expect to take great chunks of time off your 5k time. IMO over mid 30’s you will struggle to get masses of time off. Try too hard and you will just end up injured

Oh can we have min/miles rather than km please 😀

mogrim

Oh can we have min/miles rather than km please

Not for a 5k you can’t, no. Anyway I live in Spain and have long since modernised 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

If you have never been a runner then I’d say 1km/5min is pretty ambitious (unless you are young and very bike fit).

I’m 51 and have always run (albeit a bit on and off) but went back to regular ParkRuns in the summer and my PB is 24.28. Without pushing too hard I can comfortably run 26 or jog a 28.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you have never been a runner then I’d say 1km/5min is pretty ambitious

Aye, probably for most folks. MrsNobeer had never, and I mean ever, ran the length of herself up until about last christmas. She’s one of these lucky buggers that just doesn’t really put on weight, and assumed she was ‘fit’ as she walks everywhere, and is on her feet at work all day as a nurse.

She’s down to a 25 minute 5k, at the age of 40, and a 51.42 10k, so it’s doable for complete non runners….

avdave2

I managed to go sub 20 for a Park Run at the age of 50 not having been a runner before. Took a bit of work to do, I’d set it as my goal for 2016 and by 9:30 on New Years Day I’d achieved all my goals for an entire year which was rather a surprise. Struggling a bit with Plantar Fasciitis at the moment and just running as and when I can.Currently running around 5 min/km when not pushing hard. It would take a concerted effort for me to get back close to 4 min/km. I found hill reps and 1km fast repeats very helpful in getting quicker.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Just started some running training to get my fitness back up, whats everyones km/hr pace?no idea whats good and bad but i think im probably totally average at 1km/5min…

I’m not a “runner” but 5.5-6m/km for me.

Rightly or wrongly I feel that in the world of Parkrun, 30 minutes is the threshold where you’re no longer a ‘flabby limping along backmarker’ and start to finish alongside people who are to some degree ‘runners’. I’d be interested where other people think the ‘respectability’ threshold lies…

djambo
    Free Member

was bike fit before kids, now just do a bit of running to try to keep some timber off (aged 40). i tend to take it easy as all my past forrays into running have led to injury.

I’m not gifted and very much still a plodder though i get the occasional run when i hum along without the desire to stop and sleep in a ditch. fast for me is low 5min/km.

I reckon i can get down into the 4 mins if i can keep getting out for 2-3 runs per week consistently – hope to get there by the spring.

as mentioned though I try to not get competitive with myself and push it to hard as i know i’ll get injured. instead i focus on enjoying being our there on the trails/footpaths and getting some exercise. just hoping the fitness follows as a bonus.

johndoh
    Free Member

She’s down to a 25 minute 5k, at the age of 40, and a 51.42 10k, so it’s doable for complete non runners….

I am sure anyone (within reason – given they are of reasonable fitness, aren’t obese and know how to push their body) can do it after a few runs – that’s a natural progression. I think I had mis-read the OP question though as I thought he was hoping to *start* at that pace.

matt_outandabout

What about hills? I cannot find a flat 5k round here….

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

19 minute 5k / 40 minute 10k here but according to one of these race predictor things that use your v02max (59), I should be closer to 17 for 5 and 36 for 10

finbar
    Free Member

My fastest time in the past couple of months is 16:46 (which got me a lowly 6th place :D), though I’m injured so only running 15-20 miles a week… bit of a humblebrag, sorry! No doubt surfer or someone else who’s actually fast will be along shortly. Aged 35 for what it’s worth.

johndoh
    Free Member

Assuming you start and finish in the same place a hilly route has the same amount of decent as ascent so you should be able to run around the same average (as you can run faster and use less energy on the descents). That’s what I find anyway – I am not quite as fast overall but not far off it.

imnotverygood

FWIW I seem to recall that the average Park Run time is about 28 1/2 minutes…

outofbreath
    Free Member

FWIW I seem to recall that the average Park Run time is about 28 1/2 minutes…

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

“Average run time: 00:28:31”

Thanks, interesting statistic.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve been an on/off runner for a few years. I normally start around 6min/km and manage to get myself up to nearly 5:30min/km before life gets in the way or I lose interest and then start again a few months later back a 6min/km.
    This year, however, I will be maintaining the interest and not letting life get in the way (honest, gov). I want to get to the point this year where 5:30 is easy(ish) and at run a PB of under 25 mins at least one this year.

alanf
    Free Member

Not bad Finbar for an injured person, are you still suffering with the achilles?
    Can I tempt you to a Trunce this year? Doesn’t start until March so no rush in deciding.

Turboferret is your man, he will no doubt be closer to 14 minutes than 16.
    I’m at about 17 mins but I get better as I go further…

timbog160

30 mins is about my limit – feel like I could go faster quite easily with a bit of work, but at 50 and not having been a runner before I start to feel twinges and problems as soon as I try. Biking is far more important to me so I tend to just hover round there…

v8ninety

I can get just under 30mins and then it becomes too painful and I give up. I reckon I’d o could stop my feet ☹️ no I could get to sun 25mins, but persistent foot pain is a real willpower killer 😖

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d be interested where other people think the ‘respectability’ threshold lies…

I tend to think anyone who does parkrun is doing good, times are really just an arbitrary figure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s loads of flat land around Dunblane and BofA.

joshvegas
    Free Member

19:01 5k for me. Have i ever git clise to that again? Have i buggery. The one second is a killer.

johndoh
    Free Member

and at run a PB of under 25 mins at least one this year.

Just find the pacer running at 24 minutes (when there is one) and try to keep them in your sights. And don’t be discouraged when a small boy/old lady hares past you when you are breathing out of your arse 🙂

I tend to think anyone who does parkrun is doing good, times are really just an arbitrary figure.

Is also very true – I like the fact that it isn’t discriminatory and there are equal measures of people jog/walking (and many very old people just getting round by any means) as there are whippets.

finbar
    Free Member

Not bad Finbar for an injured person, are you still suffering with the achilles?
    Can I tempt you to a Trunce this year? Doesn’t start until March so no rush in deciding.

Well remembered! And thanks – my achilles is ****ed. I have a bone spur on the back of my heel that is impinging the tendon, and the surgeon says the prognosis from surgery is pretty poor. So I’m stuck with it really. Hills/offroad are a killer so I won’t be doing trunce sadly 🙁 . How are you going?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got a 19:00 PR once, also did 5 miles in 30 minutes (slight downhill but through a city)

Currently 22m or so 🙁

dashed
    Free Member

Off on a tangent, but I suffered badly from plantar fasc and foot pain for a while. It came on out of the blue after I upped my mileage. I need supportive footbeds with a high instep both in running shoes and my day to day shoes. I rarely even feel a a twinge these days thankfully.

Any 23mins for a 5k and 52 for a 10k are my best (short legs, 44 yr old, only got into running last year or two). Would like to get a sub-20 5k done this year but know there’s a bit of work in that. I’ve started 4k regularly with the dogs in the mornings though, so hopefully that’s going to help.

5plusn8
    Free Member

10 years ago I did a 23 min parkrun now at 47 I can’t even run for more than a k without lots of pain..

outofbreath
    Free Member

Agree, but just to show I’m not afraid of being controversial the people who walk round with the back marker chatting and finishing after 1 hour plus without making any effort to run mildly annoy me. Rightly or wrongly I think people doing park run ought to be making some effort to run at times. (1 minute run, 2 minutes walk?) I know someone who stopped volunteering because as backmarker she had to walk the whole 5km being chatted to by people who had no intention of running a step. I don’t think she was right, but I did see her point to a degree.

…but yeah it’s a race against yourself and just turning up makes you a winner. (I know this because many of the marshals say that to me as I limp, stagger and wheeze past them.)

dissonance

Looking at strava for 5k my average pace is around 5:03 through to 5:10 or so. One outlier at 4:45 and lots of outliers the other side up to about 6 mins or so. Thats on a really flat loop though.
    Run at most once a week and occasionally do 10k instead at which point the pace drops down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘5k running times?!’ is closed to new replies.