Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 50T cassette question
  • dallas95
    Free Member

Does anyone know if a sunrace 11-50 cassette work with a shimano xt m8000 medium cage mech and a 32T front chainring?

belgianwaffle1
    martinhutch

Maybe. M8000 is rated to work with 11-46, so it’s quite possible it will be able to get up onto the 50t, but it’s not guaranteed.

https://off.road.cc/content/review/cassettes/sunrace-mx80-11-speed-wide-ratio-cassette-11-50t-review-3877

johnnystorm

In four posts we’ve gone from will it, it won’t, it might to…

Yes it does. I run the XT rear mech with a Sunrace 11-50 and a 32t chainring without needing a goat link, longer b tension screw, etc.

dallas95
    Free Member

@johnnystorm, just confirming medium cage?

johnnystorm

@dallas95

Yep, a medium cage,I just went back to CRC order history to confirm. 😀

Mech has done nearly 6000km and cassette nearly 400km.

dallas95
    Free Member

@johnnystorm, thanks for checking. i’m going to give it a go. It’s a hardtail frame so thought there was a chance it would work but always good to get positive feedback from someone who has done it already.

convert

Supplementary question if I may….

They appear to be a HG fit….so does that mean this 11spd cassette would fit on a hub that previously had a Shimano 9spd mtb Hyperglide cassette? I know on road they increased the length of the body when they went from 10 to 11spd but ‘I think’ this is not the same for mtb. Hoping to go from 2×9 to 1×11…..

johnnystorm

11 speed MTB will fit, 11 speed road is different apart from an Ultegra wide range cassette that fits ‘sometimes’.

johnnystorm

@convert if starting from scratch why not go for Deore 12 speed and 11-51?

convert

Very good point – it’s a deore level bike so that would make sense (mind you deore 2021 is a much better beast than deore of the early 2000s so it’s not really a downgrade). And 12spd deore is also still an HG fit?

edit – looks like deore 12spd cassettes are microspline so a no go I fear….unless sunrace do an HG fit one….

johnnystorm

Sunrace MZ90 and it is an 11-50 (doh), and seeing how much more expensive they are than 11 speed I revise my opinion and say stick to 1! 🤣

If the range was wider it might be worth it but £50 for one extra sprocket seems poor value!

LAT

it does. there is a singletrack review. looks rather stretched

wzzzz
    Free Member

Get deore 11spd, they do 11-51t HG fit 11 sod cassette and a mech to suit. Use any Shimano 11 shifter

jamesmio
    Free Member

Watching this with interest, having nuked my XT M8000 rear mech this afternoon – taking out the hanger and Goatlink with it – I’ll be shopping for some new stuff just shortly.

The chain wasn’t far off due for replacement and I’m assuming I’ll need a cassette too, so basically I have an XT 11 speed shifter and not a whole lot else.

The 11-50t Deore cassette jumps out as a nifty upgrade to the Sunrace 11-46t ones I’ve run for the last few years (without fault), if I can pair one of them up with a Deore rear mech and it all just works, then that’d potentially save me a small fortune and increase the range at the same time.

(I’m ignoring the whole issues with stock cos demand/Covid/Brexit stupidity, for now)

montgomery
    Free Member

Highonbikes have the Deore 11-51 cassettes, but have sold out of cheaper end M5/6*** mechs. I bought a cassette and mech from them a couple of weeks ago.

wzzzz
    Free Member

You can use a shimano (or sram) 12 mech on an 11 cassette and shimano 11 shifter fine

Try aliexpress, direct from china they always have stock

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘50T cassette question’ is closed to new replies.