• This topic has 153 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • 500 watts for 5 minutes? Anyone done it?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Just curious, did 506w for 3 min and nearly died (on an exercise bike). No hills or suitable straights to do it around here on the road unfortunately, a turbo trainer is tempting however..

Figure a bigger rider like van der poel might pull it off? Or perhaps an endurance track sprinter?

tomhoward

I reckon it wouldn’t trouble anyone paid to ride a bike, and a fair few who aren’t. For hours, rather than minutes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

All the time, doing it now. Whilst sipping a Martini.

slowoldman

What’s that in W/kg?

yohandsome
    Free Member

d

Serge Pauwels did perhaps 470 watts at 64 kg..

eddie11
    Free Member

Listening to magnus backstedt casually throw his old numbers out in commentary on Eurosport is astonishing. He’d be knackered in the alps but on flatish roads he was doing 500w for 20m and his 3-4 min attacks were 800w or something. 🤯

tomhoward

I stand, sort of, corrected. Wiggins apparently averaged 440watts over his hour record.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Magnus Backstedt claimed 535 watts for 20 minutes which is really nuts https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/350313-wattage-backstedt-2.html

fd

redmist
    Free Member

Only the one time and it was on a climb, which always over-estimates the power for me. Around 6.5w/kg. Not sure I’d get close on a trainer or want to even try. I’ve done plenty of 450-500w 5 minutes though so I would have thought that 500w wouldn’t be hard for any decent hill climbers or racers.

slowoldman

Bear in mind that Serge Pauwels profile is during a 127km stage not just a 3min. effort.

eddie11
    Free Member

To be clear I don’t have one 500w effort in me but i understand it’s not the ability to do one which is exceptional it’s the ability to recover very quickly and do 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. in a race situation which sets MVDP apart as a bit of a freak. Others can put out more but not repeat it close together.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

(on an exercise bike)

jonba
    Free Member

I’d say it was a fairly tall order for mere mortals.

I did go off and check zwiftpower. Most of the top riders were high 400s for 5 minutes but didn’t see any with 20W of 500.

A friend of mine is a continental pro for Ribble. Fairly handy on the hills. He was 8th at the Nationals and must be 75ish Kg.

I checked some of his number and he has 476W for a 6minute climb.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Nearly. Think it was a 445w average over a 4’58” timed hillclimb. Usual club format of a 35 mile loop before then PIN numbers on and timed hillclimb for end of season.
    I’d say there’s plenty of club riders who could do it. Wasn’t pleasant.
    Data from crank pm.

whitestone
    Free Member

About 20 seconds for me 😥

yohandsome
    Free Member

Here’s a lad under 90 kg that did it!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just the once ~13 months ago, when my 4iiii’s battery was practically dead and decided I did a world class ride. 😆

nixie

Apparently I’ve done 400w for 5 minutes. 500w is just obscene.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Next question, anyone under 80 kg done it ;p

slowoldman

Andrew Coggan’s chart any good?

Coggans

stevious

It depends what you mean by ‘watt’ and ‘minute’.

chiefgrooveguru

That’s a very interesting chart! I don’t ride road bikes but I commute on my Levo which apparently has quite a good power meter built in, if I bother to connect the app. Will have to see how good/bad a pedaller I am, in a more objective way.

yohandsome
    Free Member

W/Kg chart doesn’t scale properly with weight, heavier riders are at a disadvantage.

Think a 100 kg rider could do 760 watts (7.6 watts pr kg) for 5 minutes? No I don’t think any human has done that and if such a human existed it would win the tour easily.
    Also such a 100 kg rider would have an FTP of 608 watts, this would enable them to average 67 km/h in a time trial at 2560 mos.

A 60 kg rider doing 456 watts for 5 minutes however? Definitely.

i_like_food

450w for 5 min on the flat was my pb at 72 kg. Nearly killed me and I needed a couple of days off…

nixie

That’s impressive.

The chart may not scale well but realistically someone 100kg is not in the right ball park.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I was 82kg. My ftp that year was 335w.

Kryton57

I way for me. That’s right in my weak spot of my power profile. My PB puts me in the “good” spot. That was recorded a while ago though, as my current 20 min power is only 20w lower, so maybe if I tried again I’d improve.

timbog160

Good chart but can we see the rest of it please…there seem to be a couple of rows missing 😂

Daffy

My FTP is around 4.25W/kg at 72kg and I can do about 3mins at 500W or 5mins at 375-390W. My average across a 2-3hour ride is 225W.

500W for 5 mins would be a killer for me. I’d need a lung transplant at around 3.5mins.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Looking back at my old rides I managed 425W for 5min back in 2017. This year my best is 405W. Interesting though due to my weight loss this year my W/KG for 5min is better in 2020. 5.3 as opposed to 4.94. So I’m guessing I’d be quicker uphill with the new me compared to the old fatty bum bum me. I really need to train more doing V02 efforts more though, being a Diesel engined long distance TT’r I don’t do enough short, sharp intervals.

Flaperon

5.53W/kg according to Strava. Not convinced by that chart.

Daffy

Are you saying your FTP is 5.53W/kg @Flaperon? >400W output for an hour? Impressive if true.

Flaperon

No, 5.53W/kg for five minutes 😭

tall_martin

No idea what I put out. Strava thinks 230w on a climb. So not 500w

700w for a few min.

Same as a toaster!

yohandsome
    Free Member

That’s 700w or a bit less for 1 minute no? I’ve done 745w for 1 minute on the road and 904w on an echo bike. Show me someone who can do 1000w for 1 minute..

scaredypants

The KWh they stated suggests he did 3 min (correction, bit under 2). Not sure a sprinter was quite the best man for the job – I wonder what that sky/ineos TTer (or anyone else who’s been a pursuiter) boshes out for 5 minutes

yohandsome
    Free Member

Ah yes so 700W for 1 min 48 seconds – that’s something, but yeah probably not the best man for the job.

Haze

360w for 5m, can hold 500w for about a minute and a half so it’s safe to say I’ve got no hope of managing that!

Milese
    Free Member

My best’s are something like 606w for 1 minute and 389w for 5 minutes, from about 5 years ago when I paid a lot more attention to my numbers and actually trained, thats with a 20 min best of about 312w.

Peak power was around 1320w IIRC and did 5 second max of about 1100w.

Those values got me to 2nd cat, winning 4 out of the 5 crits I entered that season, including a 2/3/4. I didnt get any top 10’s in road races though, always survived the cut but tended to dip out on the final climb. Thats all at about 72kg.

I reckon I know a couple who could do 500w for 5 mins, but they are big guys. On the return to Pollenca last year it felt like I did 500w for 5 minutes just trying to sit on the wheel of one guy!

506w for 3 minutes is seriously good too, assuming of course your exercise bike is accurate, which is a big assumption.

kayak23

Can you translate for those of us who aren’t roadies? How much is 500 watts in football pitches?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘500 watts for 5 minutes? Anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.