Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 48 hr Working Week Dilemma
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Long story short

I've worked 55 hours a week for years. That's what the construction industry works. (10hr Mon-Fri 5hr Sat)

Recently I made a freindly arrangement with my boss to give up Saturdays.
    I don't need the money, my time is more valuable.

Thing is it's randomly started getting busy on Saturdays and my boss has asked me to work the last 2, but I've turned him down as I've started doing some charity work on Saturday mornings (Teaching kids cycle mechanics as it happens)

So now I feel bad. Whatever I do I'll be letting people down. That's how it feels.

So I'm toying with the idea of opting back into the 48hr working week (We all sign an opt-out) but I'm wondering how much that would be shooting myself in the foot. I'd loose another 2 hours pay for sure, but I can imagine them saying they just won't pay me for breaks (I don't get one every day though) so I'll just end up stuck here for the same time for less money. And I don't want to be an arse, I'd rather it all be kept amicable like it is right now. But I'll be ****** if I'm going back to working every Saturday again. I'll walk before I do that.

Dilemma. 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

first port of call – the boss.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've just been talking to him. Literally 5 minutes ago. He's a good bloke and that's why I feel bad. He's coming in to cover me on Saturday because of this……..

clubber
    Free Member

But work isn't personal – you're not letting him down, you're just sticking to your business agreement and as your boss, it's his job to manage it…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

True, true…..

But if they (My company) cop a strop, it's not going to do me any good at all….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well he's not coming in to cover you, he's coming in because he's the boss. It's not your fault they don't have cover.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But it is my fault I'm not there. There's only 4 permenant staff and 1 contractor running the quarry, and only me and the boss know how to run the weighbridge. I keep suggesting training one of the others (It's not hard) but it's a bit awkward because there's no cover for them whilst I'm doing that!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm clocking out now. I'll check back here later. Riding home 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What would happen if you were sick or on holiday? He needs to train someone else to do those bits of your job. Don't let emotional blackmail get you to do something you don't wish to do

As regards the 48 hr week – you are probably there already as it does not include most break time – you need to check carefully on that but I think it is the case

tthew

The OP sounds entirely fair and reasonable to me. Put it to the boss like that, I can't see how he could be put out, especially if he is a reasonable bloke. He's only losing 5 hours a week from you, and if he's not paying you the Saturday hours during the slack times so it's all swings and roundabouts. (actually, perhaps miss out the bit about walking first)

clubber
    Free Member

It's still his responsibility to manage the skills available with the staff available to ensure they're covered.

You say that there's no one to cover them while they're training – what happens if someone's off sick? Does your place grind to a halt and stop work?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

time not cash.

dont feel bad by doing something good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i can understand the necessity to do overtime in unusual situations, when something unexpectedly goes wrong for instance.

But having it planned into the working week has got the be just bad management.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. Nice relaxing ride home! 🙂
    ——————————–

What would happen if you were sick or on holiday?

The boss covers me. There is no-one else

As regards the 48 hr week – you are probably there already as it does not include most break time – you need to check carefully on that but I think it is the case

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. That's the 'shooting myself in the foot' part. But it's rare I gat a break every day. I'll have had 2 lunch breaks this week. Again, no cover….. But that's the way of the real world sadly.

what happens if someone's off sick? Does your place grind to a halt and stop work?

Yep. That does happen. If we get notice, we get a contracor in. But contractors aren't allowed to do my job. Only Hanson employees are allowed access to the computer system

But having it planned into the working week has got the be just bad management

Anyone that works in a 'normal' job in an office simply doesn't understand the construction industry. 55 hours is a standard working week. End of story. Our supervisor does 65-70 every week. That's just what you do. That's how you all get your houses and offices and roads built. Remember that then next time you see a bored bloke in a hi-vis jacket leaning on a shovel smoking when you're sitting in traffic. He does a really crap job with really crap hours.
    I've done well getting Saturdays off. Any more will be seriously pushing my luck. It's nothing at all to do with bad managemnet, it's simply the world we work in. It's not a 2 bit outfit I work for, Hanson has 6000 employees in the UK alone, and it's a big multinational.

——————————-

Anyway, I had a quick chat with one of the oter blokes before I left and he donesn't care about me taking Saturdays off, which is what I wanted to hear – I don't wanna piss my workmates off. Our quarry doesn't have long left to run (Months not years) so we all need to be careful…..

jd-boy
    Free Member

WORK TO LIVE, not LIVE TO WORK

oddjob
    Free Member

I used to work in the industry (CAMAS, Bardon, Tarmac and Aggregate Industries) and it is an unfortunate fact that the guys on site are expected to work long hours.If your site has only got a few months left to run then I would be conscious of getting either a good reference or another post so it might be worth putting a bit of effort into keeping it all amicable.
    I seem to remember that the opt out of the 48 hour week was only a temporary thing that the UK couldn't maintain forever and I have been out of there for 9 years. Maybe TJ can verify the legal side of it.
    Anyway as you say PP, there isn't much you can do, because someone else will probably take the job if you don't want it.
    Seems to me that the best thing to do is maintain the good working relationship with your boss and keep a bit of give and take in the deal
    Good luck with it all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘48 hr Working Week Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.