Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 456 vs 456 Summer Season
  • HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Moving from an 01 fsr and going hardtail as I can only afford to run one bike, and I can't carry 2 kids in a trailer and one on a child seat with full suss.

I want something fun and easy to throw around for xc riding , will be keeping my existing 04 Marzocchi EXR 120mm forks. Ride mainly in the evenings around north east hants / Surrey

I've been looking at the 456 and 456 summer season, other than colours whats the difference, what's better for what?

I'm 5'11" on the long legged side, so looking for an 18"

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just, the Summer has a slacker head angle, ideal for your 120mm forks. All other geometry is the same.

I have 125mm forks on my Summer, I think that is pretty spot on, slack for DH, but also easy to get round tight switch backs.

saladdodger
    Free Member

The 456 is a brilliant frameset I use Mav sc32 forks which are 125mmish much more fun than my old trance

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

So is this about right?
    The 456 has more responsive stearing and climbs better, whilst the Summer Season descends better?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

The summer season is a slackened version of the 456. So in theory it is more stable at speed your weight tends to further back in relation to the front axle making it better on descents.

Downside is it will be less responsive/twitchy depending on your outlook on the flat and will be more of a pain uphill without some sort of locky-downy-thingy.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Had both, summer season is a better decender although not that much really in it, if I were buying new, I would got for SS. Rumours have it that the SS is heavier but if it is, it aint by much !

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've never had issues with climbing prowesses of 456SE. It's always been stable and well planted. However, I haven't ridden anything with such a short fork for years now so maybe that is the issue here. With 140-150mm 456SE is reat (albeit a bit heavy for my measly levels of stamina).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I also, haven't had any issues with front wheel lift whilst climbing with the Summer. I have Fox Talas forks, but never felt the need to drop them from 125mm travel.

specializedneeds

XC riding…then why not just the standard inbred? Could save you some weight and with a smaller top tube is it more compliant and therefore more comfy than the 456? It's fine for 5" forks too, I love mine with my 130mm Rockshox. I went for the 16" even though I'm nearly 5'10 and glad I did. Loads of standover and with the top tube down at knee level when I'm in the saddle I can really throw it around. Just a thought. Plus they are in stock and 456 is sold out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘456 vs 456 Summer Season’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM