Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 456 to Blue Pig – worth the change?
  • wwaswas

looking at current CRC prices and wondering if I should make a change. I do find the 456 a bit harsh out back.

Main limitations on frame choice are needing to fit my 140mm fork.

Maybe a Kinesis Virsa or Pipedream instead?

saladdodger
    Free Member

yes i find the same with my 456 with the back end, but I think changing from the Thomson seatpost to a more flexi option may be a good start

or I could MTFU 😉

wwaswas

Anyone?

Also spotted some £250 140mm Floats but they appear to be G2 geometry?

poppa
    Free Member

Not ridden one, but I get the impression a Blue Pig is a fairly different ride to a 456. A bit like a 456 in steroids, in that it’s designed for steep and technical terrain, but is maybe less into flat/XCing. May influnce your decision?

I wasn’t aware that the Pig was supposed to be more compliant though. Tyres/tyre pressure/seatpost are obvious points to look at too.

BadlyWiredDog

I think it depends a bit on what sort of riding you do. The Pig’s good up and down and on techy things, but a bit grumpy on flatter stuff – they build quite heavy and suit it – so you won’t be feeling ‘spritely’ on flatter terrain unless you’re very, very strong I guess. And while there’s some absorbency at the back, it’s more of a sinuous, muscular sort of give than a springy, cushioned thing, if that makes any sense.

I really like my Blue Pig, there’s enough up and downy stuff in the Peak that it makes sense and I can see that it would be ideal for techy Calderdale riding, but it felt like a bit of a bludgeon on the Marin Trail the other week. That’s my take on it anyway, as an average sort of rider.

wwaswas

mmm, maybe I need to ignore the price and decide if the singletrack around Brighton needs this frame…

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve ridden Brighton singletrack a few times and I have to say that a Blue Pig wouldn’t be my first choice for that sort of thing, it’s more Soul, Soda, fast, light hardtail terrain isn’t it? To put it in perspective, my Blue Pig built with coil Pikes, old Mavic Crossmax XLs, 2.25 Ardents and a mix of XT and SLX probably weighs close to 30lb. Sure you could build one lighter, but it’s a heavy frame and I’m not sure I see the point.

wwaswas

I think you’re probably right BWD.

I do find the 456 and 140mm forks pretty good to ride (weighs 26lb) with current build, just a bit harsh over longer distances (even with a Ti post) so was looking for soemthing with similar geometry but a bit more steel spring for not much money.

Simon

(weighs 26lb)

😆

wwaswas

disbelief Simon?

Simon

Sorry but yes.
    When I had my 456 it was never less than 30lbs, I can’t see how it could be as light as 26lbs without spending a lot of money on it and/or using silly light parts.

My mmmbop is a much lighter frame & weighs nearly 29lbs as a complete bike.

poppa
    Free Member
    Simon

Actually, you were right and I was wrong, sorry. 😉

wwaswas

Bit of an 😳 moment. my forks are 130mm travel.

current build is;

RC41 XCAM (130mm travel as I now know)
    Hope XC hubs/Mavic 717 rims/Intense CC tyres runnign tubeless.
    Mavic RS7 Duo
    Magura Marta brakes with 180/160 rotors – front is one of the VentiDisc ones.
    XT shifters
    XTR rear mech
    SRAM 990 cassette and 991 chain
    Van Nic Ti Post + WTB Pure Race Saddle
    Easton EC90 bars and EA70 stem.

Scales are some ‘fishing’ ones I got at LIDL but seem mostly accurate.

I’m in the process fo swapping wheels to
    Shimano XT/Mavic 719/Minion DHF

which will add a bit of weight I guess.

ahwiles
    Free Member

don’t look at a pig if you want ‘steel spring’.

do look at a pig if you want enough room to fit a massive tyre for extra comfort.

i regularly use all 2.4″ of the tyre’s ‘travel’.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I really like mine,
    I rode a mates 456 Summer season, and liked it apart from the flip flop feeling of the steering, and the Blue pig was supposed to be a nicer more forgiving ride….. so I bought one

Initially I built it up with an 80mm fork that I had “Spare” and it still rode really nicely, now with coil Lyriks on it and its lovely with them set at 120mm
    2.4 rubber queen out back makes for superb comfort, and I ride mainly flatish singletrack rather than Tech up and down stuff…
    I`m really impressed with it, and the mate with the Summer season….. he rode mine, loved it and bought a Ti Ragley the next day !!

wwaswas

Fickle fellow and southern singletrack mincer that I am I’ve decided that a Soul (or similar) may be far more ‘my sort of thing’.

(note to self – just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it’s suitable)

miketually
    Free Member

Down South = Piglet

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Built a 456 carbon at the weekend, all xt, fox 32rl 140mm.
    Its bang on 27lb.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘456 to Blue Pig – worth the change?’ is closed to new replies.