Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • 456 or blue pig
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, you're as bad as those two off the telly.

I want a new house / bike and this is my budget.

We'll have a look at this one, its 50% more than you can afford but ticks all the boxes.

hora
    Free Member

Podge. Buy secondhand. I always do when I can. You get twice as much for half the money.. if more people did this bike companies would see the dip in sales and start lowering their ridiculous prices.

wwaswas

I just recently got a 456 out the classifieds for £70. I got another with a pair of Fox Talas forks for £100 a while back.

If you're just trying one out for a few weeks and transferring all the bits off another bike it's a cheap way to get an extended test…

minnellium
    Free Member

Same top tube length
    Slacker head tube angle on Blue Pig
    Seriously better thought-out finishing detail on the frame on the Blue Pig (mud clearance, drop-outs, tidier position for rear brake caliper)

I'm an owner of OnOne and Ragley frames. I'd go Ragley if I were you.

thepodge
    Free Member

I love your short memory Hora, I already have a second hand bike, you've seen me on it and we've talked about it

hora
    Free Member

OP- test ride them first. People on rides etc as you might go against the grain on sizing as well.

I bought a Ti456 once in 18"- expensive mistake.

timc
    Free Member

Taxi for Brant

theunutterable

Keep up the good work Brant. I actually prefer your no bullsh*t approach

RustyNissanPrairie

Jamesy – Member

It's not really sarkey. It's more a dissapointment
    that the work that designers put into things
    aren't really picked up by people sometimes.

where's the violins…

he was asking a question your response was uncalled for. I for one have looked at your frames and considered buying one , but for me that just wouldn't happen now after reading this, you've come across as a total arse

see if you can mither Mike Sinyard at 9 o'clock with inane questions and get a reply.

Dave
    Free Member

if more people did this bike companies would see the dip in sales and start lowering their ridiculous prices.

Don't people sell secondhand because they have/are buying someting new then?

Jamesy
    Free Member

did the op mither the designer ? no I think u may find . I for one was interested In knowing the difference between the two and the op asked the forum, isn't that what stw is all about? or have I got the wrong forum ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't see the point in brants reply. Usually he is helpful if a little aloof. Not doing a good pr job. Odd

5lab

an alternative solution might be a ns surge. bit more play oriented than these two, but meant to be very good?

hora
    Free Member

Don't people sell secondhand because they have/are buying someting new then?

Wish I could. Im the poor sod scavenging around the jumblesale on the next section ——->

Hora, you're as bad as those two off the telly.

Rupert and Phyllis are looking for a new place in countryside with a crash-pad in the city. They only have a budget of £700,000 to play with so it'll be pretty tight. 😯

Manchester couple Burt and Irene hora are looking for a two up-two down in the city with an allotment in Wythenshawe. They only have a budget of £70,000 to play with. We'd suggest hora studied harder at school and this program wouldn't be shown. 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don't see the point in brants reply. Usually he is helpful if a little aloof.

Norvern humour innit.

hora
    Free Member

Norvern humour innit.

Unless you are buying something then its warm and nice? 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

He's just a grumpy, sarky, nothern bloke and those three things are present in varying proportions in most of his posts.

I'd say that his first one in this thread had a high proportion of grumpy but frankly who never gets grumpy every now and again? Maybe not ideal customer service but equally, you always get straight-talking from Brant and not bland marketing-BS which TBH I prefer.

hora
    Free Member

No Clubber, I think some posters touched on the truth.

clubber
    Free Member

What, that you're a wannabe estate agent, Hora?

hora
    Free Member

Yeah thats right. But lets not divert attention from the topic.

vinnyeh

Grumpy and sarkiness are different to rudeness. Sam, Dialled Mike, and most retailers and wholesalers respond on here to questions in a decent way, and those that don't get short shrift pdq.

poppa
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

Well just goes to show what interpretations will do. I've re-read his replies and I don't read them as rude plus I'm a poncy Southerner so I should be prone to offence 😉

ivantate
    Free Member

I have a 456 with 130mm forks, seems ok. Largest size, with 70mm stem and I am 6'1". Tried to make it a longer/ faster riding bike opposed to my full sus.
    Personally I am sure my Orange 5 is faster on the road, off the road and also a better climber, but obviously ££, so I havent really succeed in making the HT the bike I need it to be. It does seem to handle reasonably well though and for the price you can build a reasonable spec up for (Deore, SH forks etc…) you really cant go wrong.

The Ragley is a newer design and seems to correct a few issues such as chainsuck destroying the chain stay, but I have no idea where you can go and see one of these frames. Check out their websites.
    Depends what you are used to but you may feel the head angle is too slack and will need to spend a bit of time re-calibrating your riding.
    Also as above you are getting into the realms of considering quite a few other frames once in this price range.

Also, why go from 110mm to 160mm travel. There are a huge amount of forks with 140mm travel which are more than upto tough riding especially on a HT.

Finally and disappointingly, whichever you get (out of all listed above) it really wont improve or change your riding too much over the other.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

At the moment I have a mongoose otero fs frame which is upgraded heavily and its ok (rear suspension is shite). So a ragley with pikes would be prob ideal or go 2nd hand lyriks on a ragley?

wwaswas

pikes would be good – it's a long travel xc bike really 😉

spev

Didn't realise this was still going.
    I've had both a 456 and now a mmmBop (same geo as the blue pig),I'd honestly say there isn't much difference riding either downhill (the mmmBop is a tad more confidence inspiring on very steep stuff) but its everywhere else that I find the mmBop better. I suspect this is as a result of the seat angle change.
    Anybody want to test ride one in Swansea is welcome to contact me to try mine anway.

As for the furor regarding Brants reply, to BillyBob-are you implying that he isn't allowed to relax and chill reading a forum?

I think pritcsa has hit the nail on the head, If Brant were to make direct comparisons it would'nt really be fair to On-One who I'm sure he owes some of his success to, and I like to think he is still friendly with them at least

BadlyWiredDog

I built up a Blue Pig a few weeks ago, riding it mostly in the Peak – really like it, it's kind of interesting because of its geometry, low front end, steep seat tube etc. I've ridden a 456 briefly as well. My take on the Pig with a Pike is that it's quite a heavy thing, goes up and downhill like an unstoppable steamroller, with just enough flex out back to sort of go over and around things effectively, but sort of loiters along flatter terrain like a sulky, whining teenager with his hands in his pockets.

If your local riding goes mostly up and down in a techy sort of way, I'd go for a Pig, but don't expect it to be light and sprinty. If you have more flattish singletracky stuff, then the 456 is going to be more of an all-rounder, I think. Then again, if you're going to stick a 160mm fork on whatever it is, you're probably not going to be building a light, agile, singletrack-friendly rapier of a bike whatever frame you use, are you?

Anyhow, that's my very average rider's take on it 😕

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I want to use it all day, either on road or off road. singletracking, climbing, downhilling. So the 456 or the blue pig and 160mm is prob too much for all day riding. so prob pikes, then i can wind them down to 100 and upto 140 plus lock out

BadlyWiredDog

Well, based on my experience anyway, the Ragley'll climb and descend really well, be 'so, so' on flattish singletrack – the head angle's pretty slack – and pretty dispiriting on the road. Depends what matters most to you, how much road / flat stuff there is etc.

Where do you mostly ride?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I mostly ride ashton court/leigh woods and around bristol

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Looking for same as you simon…I thought they were similar too but mr brant said that was 'bollocks'

I really fancied one as a commuter & for occasional off road. Sounds like on the road it will be a bit crap. With my 100mm forks I reckon I'll be sliding off the saddle onto the top tube. Still, might try one, think it would look good with a rack & basket.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

So a 456 with pikes would be ideal for all day (road and off road), looning around and the likes of ashton court/leigh woods

clubber
    Free Member

As a fellow Bristoller who's had/got 456 and inbreds, I'd suggest that travel more in the region of 115mm is better suited to the local trails (which would point you towards the inbred) but that's not to say that the 456 would be bad, just maybe a fraction slack for the twisty stuff. Ymmv and it'll be great at trail centres with the longer travel.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I am trying to get rid/sell my mongoose frame at the moment, to fund a new frame (the 456). So a long wait, is ahead

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘456 or blue pig’ is closed to new replies.