Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 420g for a MTB fork……..
  • Rik
    Free Member

Just received some Trigon Full Carbon Disc Forks through the post this morning.

Put them on the scales and they come up at an amazing 420g with a uncut steerer!

I was a little shocked.

They are supposed to be a MTB fork but not sure i’d like to rattle down a rocky Peak district descent on them because of the weight (even though they do look well made and chunky build).

They’ll spend 90% of there time on tarmac so they’ll be no worries with strength, but that’s still light.

Definitely impressed…..

andyl
    Free Member

I had the same feeling when the carbon 456 frame arrived. 1398g on the lab scales and I am supposed to stick a 160mm fork on it and throw myself down a hillside on it. If you think about it the forks at 400-500 are about right in proportion to a whole frame being 1400g but still scary.

wwaswas

the DT Swiss carbon mtb forks are 375g with an uncut steerer.

ericemel
    Free Member

That is impressive….same weight as my Easton Carbon CX forks!

Be careful…

letmetalktomark

375g 😯

ericemel
    Free Member
    wwaswas

sorry, I was basing mine on this;

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/04/20/new-magnesium-suspension-forks-damping-tech-and-a-rigid-carbon-fork-from-dt-swiss/

maybe they decided this was just too light (or the weight they give now is for the bolt through version?)

njee20
    Free Member

1400g is heavy for a frame! Try a Scale 899 if you thought 1400g felt light.

trickydisco
    Free Member

shame they’re only 80mm.

I’m gunna get some of the exotic one’s for my HT

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a set of Trigon Forks (the vbrake and disc version) on my old commuterised Hardrock which i weighed at 500g when i got them. They’ve been fine so far although i don’t ride that bike much anymore. I have used them lightly offroad (i’m c.16st) but i too would have a mental block about abusing them as at that weight my brain will not allow me to trust them fully.

The quality is excellent and the version i have (around £130) are exactly the same as the Ritchey branded ones which were around £400 (and i recall that Trigon actually make the Ritchey ones). When i enquired about them at the time, Brant mentioned that Trigon had a very good reputation for Carbon. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£ per weight saved that is bargaineous, the only other sensible rigid option on that basis (& looks aside) is those musso numbers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

should be light at 413mm a/c

too short to be any use for **** all – gay fork

*can you tell im bittter they dont do one for my bike!*

MrTall
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39463

These are exactly the same (except mine have the vbrake bosses) as the Trigon ones i have.

Just goes to show the power of a brand name. The Ritchey ones have nicer graphics but that’s the only difference. What a rip off.

andyl
    Free Member

njee – obviously you can get lighter frames but for the application I gave 1400g is light. I don’t think I would fit a 160mm fork to a Scott Scale and expect it to stay attached after a few heavy landings.

cynic-al
    Free Member

should be light at 413mm a/c

Another 37mm of tubing ain’t gonna add much, the weight is in the crown.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Musso forks, they are even better value for money, might build my Tinbred up with rigid forks, drop bars, 700c wheels and disc brakes, for some cross fun.

druidh
    Free Member

My RC31s come in at 630g, and they feel light enough 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

My Surlys and P2s weight 100gm+ 🙁

I’m still faster than druid tho 😎

druidh
    Free Member

It is true that I’ve never come 12th in a 25 mile Cat 3/4 race.

Rik
    Free Member

Def right about the short a/c, so not much use on modern mtb frames.
    I’m going to be using them on the road mainly so that’s not a concern. Got the disc only version so lighter than the v/disc version and a cleaner look too.

More shock and awe that they can make them that light and still pass CEN tests.

Mr Tall – I read your thread before buying them. Always nice to get the thumps up from Brant too.

Look very well made and should knock ~2 lb of the current steel forks. Thats not bad for £120

igm

Niner carbon 29er fork is 550g I think – 470mm A/C if I recall – so if you want something longer…

cynic-al
    Free Member

75 miles 😡

onandon
    Free Member

Don’t worry.the trigons are fantastic. I have 2 pairs and they are frequently hammered off road. I’m 83 kg so not exactly a lightweight. I have done a few steep slopes in a rolling endo ,no probs or death.

Enjoy them

onandon
    Free Member

Don’t worry.the trigons are fantastic. I have 2 pairs and they are frequently hammered off road. I’m 83 kg so not exactly a lightweight. I have done a few steep slopes in a rolling endo ,no probs or death.

Enjoy them

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘420g for a MTB fork……..’ is closed to new replies.