Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • £4000 budget advice please
  • adamadey
    Free Member

Have £4000 budget for a new whip on my return from Kenya in August. Please advise!
    Looking at a 27.5″ long travel trail / enduro.
    Shortlisted are YT Capra CF Pro Race, Canyon Strive CF Race 8.0 but open to suggestions!
    Cheers in advance!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Someone will be along soon to say it: Transition Patrol Carbon.

Will be a struggle to match the spec of those direct-to-consumer brands but it’s one I’d have in the mix anyway.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Id look at the second hand market like Pink Bike, more bang for your buck on that budget

AlexSimon

4k gets you pretty much any bike there is.

I wouldn’t have bought mine without riding a few first – to get a feel for what I wanted. Some of them surprised me by being not what I was after at all. Hard to predict.

drovercycles
    Free Member

4k gets you pretty much any bike there is.

I wouldn’t have bought mine without riding a few first – to get a feel for what I wanted. Some of them surprised me by being not what I was after at all. Hard to predict.

This is very good advice. Although it’s not hard to spend a lot more than £4. That said there’s not many bikes, if you’re sensible about the spec, which you couldn’t have.

drovercycles
    Free Member

it’s not hard to spend a lot more than £4

Obviously it’s not hard to spend more than £4. It’s not that hard to spend more than £4000 either though!

br
    Free Member

Demo a few, at places you ride the most (where will this be?).

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

£2850 for last years Strive CF 9.0 and a decent holiday would be my choice.

P-Jay
    Free Member

For me it would have to be the 2017 Tracer Expert, in Black.

Won’t be as nice a spec as the YT though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whyte G-160RS.

Lyriks, 170mm reverb in Large and full Eagle groupset. Nom.

And enough left from your budget for a week in the Alps.

AlexSimon

Except that’s £5300!
    I’m sure the Foundation would be doable with a little negotiation with a dealer though.

I just find it hard to recommend a specific bike when they are so different to each other. I find bikes so personal that I know that most people’s opinions don’t really fit.

For example, so many of my friends have Santa Cruz and Specialized that I just can’t bring myself to buy one 🙂

adamadey
    Free Member

I’m based in North Yorkshire so pretty much all over.
    Spend a lot of time up in Dumfries too.
    Cheers for the advice! Keep it coming

P-Jay
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

Except that’s £5300!
    I’m sure the Foundation would be doable with a little negotiation with a dealer though.

I just find it hard to recommend a specific bike when they are so different to each other. I find bikes so personal that I know that most people’s opinions don’t really fit.

For example, so many of my friends have Santa Cruz and Specialized that I just can’t bring myself to by one

Yezus, it doesn’t even come with a proper pair of Lyriks for £5?!

Love a duck.

AlexSimon

One thing about YT/Canyon. People I know with them, have had to live without it for a month or 2 while problems are fixed. Dealing with Germany is always going to be more stressful than UK. Communication with those particular companies always seems a bit hit and miss too.

It hasn’t been much of a pain for my fellow riders, because they all have a spare bike, but I don’t.

That’s one of the reasons why I ended up with the Bird Aeris. (Spent £3500 with carbon wheels/cranks/bars). They just seemed like people who would stand right behind the product and feel guilty if I was without my bike for more than a week. Great to deal with and always at the end of the phone/email. As good as as local bike shop, but with direct pricing.

The other reason was that it rode as well as my other frontrunner – the Banshee Spitfire.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Is ‘whip’ a new term I have missed?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Giant Reign 1. End of.

dizcostix
    Free Member

just to throw it out there: Airdrop edit – i love mine. A standard pro build is available at 3k and A conversation with Ed will get you as custom as you like

linky

submarined
    Free Member

Buy the Capra Pro, ride it for a few months, affirm your belief that it’s just too short, sell the frame for a grand, then buy the frame you actually wanted in the first place and transfer the bits over, and you’ll get a hell of a bike for your 4k.
    Worked for me 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dealing with Germany is always going to be more stressful than UK

Not always – Replacement Reverb from Canyon was 10 days. Replacement cracked rear triangle (after 12 weeks riding!!!) from Yeti (despite being bought from a ‘salt-of-the-earf’ lbs) – 12 weeks. The 2nd cracked rear tri took just the same.

gonzy
    Free Member

Someone will be along soon to say it: Transition Patrol Carbon.

you’ll really struggle to get one of those for £4k. i saw a brand new unused 2017 carbon patrol with full shimano xt go for £4.2k…a similarly specced 2017 model is going to be way north of your budget.

Giant Reign 1. End of.

i agree but i would say go for the reign advanced 1…the rrp is £4250 but if you’re buying as a cash purchase then you’ll be getting it for less than your budget

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

£4k? Something that won’t be ‘updated’ in 6 months.

Edit: you know what? After my recent experience buying a Bird, I’d buy another Bird. Great folk to deal with, great product, great VFM, not attached to the annual change sales model. Ticks all my boxes.

A friend’s buying a Cotic based on a similar experience, just further north.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘£4000 budget advice please’ is closed to new replies.