Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 4 hour + ride knee pads, what to get?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I currently use 661 Veggies and hate them, they are always pintching the back of my legs and are soo uncomfortable.

Are the Kyle Straits or Evo any better.

Don't want to spend a fortune on them but need knee protection for the winter.

Advice please?
    Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura knee warmers

Stops your knees getting cold – what more do you want 😉

Dimmadan
    Free Member

A little bit of protection when riding Afan, Cwmcarn, Jacobs Ladder etc

jeff

Dainese works for me, but mine are years old, not tried the new ones.

swisstony
    Free Member

Love my Kyle Straits, always wear them when riding, never had a rubbage issue

tonyg2003

Couldn't get on with the 661 veggie at all. Loads of pinching. Now have Kylie Straits and find them great. Hardly notice them in comparison to the 661.

jackal
    Free Member

I always wear my kyle straits too, done full day rides in them no probs.
    I wear dianese knee/shin for dh though.

😀

fbk
    Free Member

Another vote for the Kyle Straits. I've never used Veggies but I can wear those for an all dayer with very little rub.
    More than I've managed to do with Dianese/RaceFace knee/shin protection on the DH bike

l45key
    Free Member

Kyle Straits here as well.

trailmonkey

+1

stumpyjon

+2

excellent design and fit.

Hairychested
    Free Member

How do you know what size to go for? CRC have several. BTW Which one is the good one? It looks as if there were several models there.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

How are they for sizing? I am smack bang on the large size, is there much room?

billybob
    Free Member

How many times are you falling off in a 4 hour ride to require knee pads?!

Grimy
    Free Member

+3 Kyle Straits. Great fit, comfortable, dont move, and give a little support to your joint. £30 at Evens at the minute, so a bargin too.

I'm 6'tall and have farily big legs but found the Medium size the best fit. You'd have to be a rugby player on steroids for the large I think. Depends how firmly in place you want them aswell tho I guess

I also have the 661 Evo elbo pads which are brilliantly flexable for your arms, but I didnt think they'd offer enough protection for the knees.

stompy

+4 For the Straits……. Just make sure you get the right size. Measure your thigh as, to me, that was the most important measurement. There is a sizing chart on CRC I think

I take a large but haven't got massive legs…… 😯

Grimy
    Free Member

I tried the large on, and I was happy with them, could have bought them and never had a problem. But the guy in the shop pushed me to try the meduim too and he was spot on, they wernt so much smaller round the thigh and calf, but felt more secure around the actual knee itself. If you can try before you buy it would be nice but I know its not always possable? maybe get two sets sent out and return one later?

edit:- Ok so I just measured my leg, Thigh is 18" and calf is 15". On the size chart thats an XL?? but my pads clearly say medium? go figure?

Northwind

Kyle Straits… Big pads are comfier, they only have to move the same amount as small pads but they have much more room to do it. Also, the armour itself in smaller pads tends to be really dense and compact- and so less flexible. All in all, little pads are s s**t idea unless they're made from custard-tech.

Kyle Straits OTOH are big goofy looking EXTREME!!1!! things, but because of that they're actually far less noticable than most "XC" pads. So get those 😉 Or, no doubt the new Raceface ones, or POC soft pads, will be about as good. I run out of leg long before they run out of comfort.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have the race face dig knee pads and i can wear them all day if required. super comfy!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

+5 straits, wear them regularly for day long rides, and don't notice them at all. and apparently they actually stop you falling off , well anyhow I only fall off when I'm not wearing them…..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

have ridden several long rides with both Kyle Straits and the Evo ones. Neither are uncomfy, but the Evos aren't "better" than the Straits in any way, shape or form, so save your pennies and stick with the straits

racing_ralph
    Free Member

billybob – Member

How many times are you falling off in a 4 hour ride to require knee pads?!

surely once is enough!!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Sizing
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Information_CyclingSizing.aspx

If you are borderline, consider going smaller as they do stretch and wear in. Baggy knee pads that move on impact are near useless (except as knee warmers).

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Have used Kyle straits for the last few years, big fan. Replaced them for Evo's this year, IMO even more comfortable (more flexable) to ride in, but do get a bit of a rubbing on the front of my knees on longer rides (3+ hours), to be fare I used to get a bit with the straits. Put a bit of vasline on my knees before hand and no problems even on all day epics.

I could easily recommended either, but the Evo shades it for me

Del

+6? use sudocream on anything you get rubbage on.

tim41
    Free Member

Kyle Straits here too. Had some 661 Veggies before, awful things, pinching behind the knee as you noted. The Kyle straits are very comfy, but also very warm!

Radioman

661 Kyle straits …superb

Electrogirl
    Free Member

Kyle Straits without a doubt!! So comfortable I forget I've got em on at times.

Coyote
    Free Member

Another Race Face Dig fan here! Never really got on with 661 stuff.

cheers_drive

Kyle Straits are good but I still get rubbed raw if I sweat a lot or if it's wet the gritty water get in.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Evos

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Kyle Straits it is then. Leisure Lakes tomorrow lunchtime then.

Cheers.

Oh and the faster more confident I become, the riskier the riding so I need to pad up. Especially as cycling is my second sport and semi pro hockey is my main sport.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fox Radius neoprene knee guards. Can't find any UK stock at the mo' but they do appear on ebay from time to time. Light, really comfy and double as knee-warmers in winter too.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Rutland had these on offer a while back for £5 a pair!

deus

Troy Lee Lopes ones,

knee sock on it's on for cold weather xc and for a bit of extra protection if i fall. and put on the shin guard for proper DH

mamadirt
    Free Member

Dimmadan – Member

Rutland had these on offer a while back for £5 a pair!

Yep, I think that's where I got mine, via their ebay shop.

dasnut
    Free Member

if you want shin protection as well – poc

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘4 hour + ride knee pads, what to get?’ is closed to new replies.