Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 34-38c non-gravel CX tyres?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I have some nano 40c (clincher/tubeless rims) which are great in dry weather and on gravel but not ideal in loose/muddy conditions, especially round corners. Looking for something a bit smaller, nimble and knobbly for racing and mud but as my non-racing riding involves a large amount of rock I want to retain some volume that I’ve come to love on the Nano 40c.

The clement pdx 35-37c would be lovely, the WTB crossboss 35c is difficult to find and I’m worried about it filling with claggy mud and finally it doesn’t seem like the ritchey megabite 38c is available yet.

Ioneonic

? Compass Steilacoom

Expensive though. I’ve only just got them. Impressions v good so far.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Might be wrong, but i thought there was a 35c limit for racing.

chrishc777
    Free Member

33c Mud Wrestlers are good, EXO sidewall and TR means they handle rocks well and you can drop pressures low for mud

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not at regional level it’s not, you can run mtb if you want.

Tyre wise u run Vittoria Cross XL in 32mm but they come up pretty big

qwerty
    Free Member

Might be wrong, but i thought there was a 35c limit for racing.

UCI races only IIRC is 33c.

BadlyWiredDog

I was about to say Cross Boss – the Germans seem to have them in stock:

https://www.bike24.com/p2118350.html

Edric64
    Free Member

32mm limit for racing in UCI races? unless it changed again 3 peaks cx allows 35mm

aP
    Free Member

If you’re racing UCI ranked races then you’ll be limited to 33mm, also National Trophy and some specifically stated races as well. At some races they’ll have a gauge to measure the tyres. Any other race will be fine.

simondbarnes

32mm limit for racing in UCI races?

33mm

qwerty
    Free Member

I have Cross Boss TCS on my bike, they’re new so no informed review, but initial impression is similar to a Racing Ralph 35c which i really liked for CX trail riding.

cdoc
    Free Member

+1 for the mud wrestlers.
    Also recently fitted a pair of Schwalbe Sammy Slicks which seem to be holding their own in the damp at the moment. I thought the smooth centreline would be rubbish over mud and grass, but it grips really well and still has good side knobbles for cornering.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Yes as discussed up there already the 33c limit is for UCI races for which I have no interest in! I feel there is a bit of a missing area of riders who do the odd regional CX race and a large amount of “local bridlepath” riding for which the larger volume helps a lot with comfort. A bunch of semi slicks in that size range but not much for loose/mud conditions.

fifeandy
    Free Member

In that case, how about the conti cross ride? 700x42c, based on an X-King

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/continental-cross-ride-29/768/2044?gclid=cieovpxk888cfch3cgodxako8q

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Running mudwrestlers here this time of year and they’re bloody great, the rear just wears v quickly when on tarmac… it’s a price worth paying though imo, for the drier months then it’s schwalbe g-ones… both tubeless, both awesome tyres

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Compass Barlow Pass, nice big floaty tyre with nice rolling ability.

Kamakazie

I’ve got a cross boss on the back.
    Happy so far but I think your right about the claggy mud. The tread isn’t open enough to clear efficiently for those sort of conditions.

Unfortunately it’s a bit limited in that category as most mud tyres are purposefully narrow!

eddie11
    Free Member

Don’t discount Clements they come up big. Their 33 is nearer a 35 in bonty, Michelin or challenge. If you do race even at regional level there is a simple logic for not going beyond 33c: mud room on the average cross bike.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I did see a pic Eddie11 where they seemed to be larger than I expected. I am tempted by them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘34-38c non-gravel CX tyres?’ is closed to new replies.