Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • £300 for Carbon 456 – is that a bargain?
  • FOG

Hmm, I too have been feeling the same urge to go 456 C. I do have a steel 456 which I like but am not devoted too.Its too heavy and feels a bit like a tank. I made the mistake of having a test ride on a Soul which felt a lot more subtle but was more money than I had to spare.
    So will I really notice the difference or would I be better off hanging on til I can afford a Soul?

Northwind

FOG – Member

So will I really notice the difference or would I be better off hanging on til I can afford a Soul?

Tricky one this. TBH I would say that my C456 really doesn’t remind me much of a steel 456. Doesn’t really make sense, but the ride is so different that the identical geometry takes a back seat. What it does remind me of constantly, is my old Soul.- it has that same spark and playfulness.

Soul’s geometry is a bit better as standard IMO- 456 is competent, Soul is excellent- but the 2 really do the same job, in much the same way, I don’t think you’d go wrong with either. If you want a harder hitting bike then the 456 comes into its own- tapered steerer gives you more options to mess around with geometry, and it’ll take a bigger fork.

lucien

My 456 steel was different altogether from the carbon one I have currently – I ran/run an Alfine on both, slighlty longer fork 130mm on the carbon one – and have totally fallen in love with the carbon one. As per FOG, I liked the steel one, but could have taken / left it whereas the carbon one I seem to be riding all the time.

jambon
    Free Member

So, bargain or not?

Yes. I got one at £300. Well pleased.

Now trying to flog the full susser.

Beware, the 16″, 18″ and 20″ are actually very similar in size (reach-wise).

D0NK

If we’re discussing C456 minor niggles…
    SS dropouts need a bit of work, the disc slots don’t have as much “travel” as the dropouts, had to file my chaintug right down to fit inside the lumpy carbon stay ends. cable routing might be better if they riveted stops to the headtube (less cable rub too) Top tube could do with sloping a little, brake levers catch slightly if the bars spin (during crashes I don’t spin them on purpose!)

but yeah I’d recommend getting one, £300 is a bargain.

Alex

I missed out on the last red 18. Tempted to pre-order and sling everything over from my Hummer which – since I had my ST4 – feels just a bit too short. Tempting.

td66
    Free Member

Has anyone mounted a shimano brake with 203mm rotor on the horizontal dropouts? Does it fit between the stays?

vondally
    Free Member

thankspeter p really helpful info

hora
    Free Member

Donk hopefull brants focusing on the new green/yellow colourway has solved your niggles?

honourablegeorge

FOG – Member
    Hmm, I too have been feeling the same urge to go 456 C. I do have a steel 456 which I like but am not devoted too.Its too heavy and feels a bit like a tank. I made the mistake of having a test ride on a Soul which felt a lot more subtle but was more money than I had to spare.

That Genesis frame is supposedly very Soul-like.

shedfull
    Free Member

One thing you’ll need to watch out for – larger size calipers (Avid Elixir 5, in my case) on 160mm rotors foul the seatstay. They make a crap swapout with the brake caliper vertically mounted but it flexes and the brake squeals like a banshee. Much better to just fit a 185mm rotor and use the standard swapout.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I think the Ragleys were Brant’s best work and he should be justly proud of this work. I have been mad on bikes for thirty years and I think the mmmbop is the best hardtail I have ever ridden. I used to be a big Gary Fisher Genesis fan previously. Always been a fan of long top tube bikes. I have never owned an On One, though I did have the weirdly ugly but nice Planet X Armadillo.

I too hated the stiffness of the mmmbop’s rear end, until I bought a nice comfy seat, a large volume 2.3 rear tyre and put in what feels like the right air pressure. I still like the look of the Troof, despite Brant’s departure from Ragley. The carbon 456 does appeal to me, and very tempting.. red or raw or black…

Northwind

van cough cough – Member

Though I too hated the stiffness of the rear end, until I bought a nice comfy seat,

Seat makes no difference when you’re not sitting on it 😕 I was always fine with the comfort side, more bothered by the rear end’s inability to follow the front if both speed and lumps happened at the same time. Not a problem the C456 has, with the exact same kit.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I dunno, I doubt I ride as well as you. I am now getting older. But I love the mmbop’s stability and balanced feel. I don’t understand why it was such a flash in the pan. Best £150 I have EVER spent. The mmbop has done over 100 hundred miles per week since I bought it.

Northwind

van cough cough – Member

I doubt I ride as well as you

Lets not rule out the likelihood that it’s me being s**t 😆 I did like mine, don’t want to be too critical- the C456 might not be the best hardtail I’ve ever ridden but it’s definately in the top 2, so I’m only really criticising the Bop by comparison. And my Mmmbop did cost 1/3d as much as the C456 + adjuster headset, so considering it did the exact same job it’s only fair that it didn’t do it quite as well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For me, I really like my 456SS tank, then I went off and built a lightweight Rock Lobster XC of about 21-23lb (depending on carbon rigids or sus forks) and it was/is a joy to ride.
    1. It makes me feel like I’m twice as fit and hill climbing’s a joy.
    2. It floats over everything and it’s so easy to get it airborne. It just seems to make pumping and prejumping really easy. I always get the sense I’m flowing better.

So, my wish to Santa (although this present might be late thanks to ON-ONE) is that my two bikes combine into one, with my new 456 Carbon, producing a most awesome bike, when it arrives.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Took me a while to get to like my mmmbop but love it now. Northwind, I know what you mean about the back end. Find it can get quite tricky on fast bumpy flat turns. Though I like that it makes me work harder at reading the trail, unweighting or hopping over the rough stuff. I get it wrong a lot of the time and it’s a harsh lesson. It can feel like a lack of skill magnifier! From what I’ve read here I’d quite fancy a spin on a c456, I suspect I’d quite like it.

broken4ribs
    Free Member

can anyone give me a little advice when it comes to the 456c as im building one at the mo and i want to get some Fox 32 TALAS 140 and im a bit worried there might be a problem with the fittng as ive read there has been with rock shoxs?
    cheers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cruzer
    Didn’t spot your post, but it was mentioned to me on a night ride tonight. Yes, my 456SS frame will be for sale in the new year. It’s currently part built, but will be stripped for parts when the 456 carbon arrives (seat clamp will be included, but not sure about the headset yet). It’s a raw lacquered finish. I’ve owned it from new and it hasn’t had much use really, still in very good condition, with just some chain slap and probably the odd cable rub. I’ll get in touch after New Year and give you first refusal, at least.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Broken4ribs, I think the issue is just with a tapered steerer. If it’s not got one then you’ll be fine. If it does have one then the fox ones should be fine as it’s to do with the length of the taper on the RS forks.

cruzer
    Free Member

cheers B.A.Nana, would be awesome :D. i assume its a 16″ frame?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

cruzer
    Yes 16″

I’ll sort out some pics when I strip it down, and email them

chakaping
    Free Member

can anyone give me a little advice when it comes to the 456c as im building one at the mo and i want to get some Fox 32 TALAS 140

And if you are buying a new fork, you might want to save a bit of money/weight and forego the Talas, the c456 rides great at 140mm and I never adjust the travel on my fork.

Northwind

You will want to check this more fully- but as I understand it the issue with tapered forks is only known to happen with Rockshox, and only on the small frame.

And TALAS is a bit pants tbh… I like having uturn on bikes like this, since they’re interesting to ride at different fork lengths, but then uturn doesn’t impact the performance of the fork at all.

fibre
    Free Member

I already had a similar steel setup but was curious to give one a try so I thought it would be rude not to at that price:D. I finally built it up but i’m yet to ride it. Went for a light\strong combo of a build so come in 24lb odd but should be stable and raggable (Pike Air\XT+XTR 1×9\Flows on Pro2).

I’ll let you know how I get on!

By the way Hope do an alternative to the On-One headset for 1-1/8th fork.
    I went for the “Pick N Mix” and bought cups “2” “F” and “HS136” 1 1/8” to 1.5” lower steerer crown race converter. That way if I ever need to run a taper fork I just dont use the HS136 converter race.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

variflex
    Free Member

Just had my new frame built up with parts left from my old specialized. Bought new forsk, easton bars, stem and seatpost and some bonty MUD-X tyres.

Taking her out tomorrow for a jolly good thrashing on the trails.

supafly1982
    Free Member

since brants readin this thread, why do the the carbon frames have such short head tubes?

matt_outandabout

£300 for Carbon 456 – is that a bargain?

Nope, THIS is a bargain – add in a STW Premier discount and you get quality steel HT frame for under £160 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘£300 for Carbon 456 – is that a bargain?’ is closed to new replies.