Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 3 Peaks CX route.
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Doing the 3 Peaks this year.
    Just wondering if the route is marked clearly or a little bit of orienteering is needed.
    I plan to take a map and maybe some destinations on my top tube.
    The other thing is my Sat nav but i don’t see many people riding with them in the 3 Peaks!
    Thanks for any help,
    Max

whitestone
    Free Member

Unless you are at the front then you’ll just be following (a lot of) other riders. Some parts of the route close to the road are marked with tiger tape but apart from that I don’t think there’s much else.

eddie11
    Free Member

there is absolutely no where you will get lost, need a map or require a sat nav for navigation.

if you are at the front Rob Jebb has done it before he will show you the way.

If you are further down the field there will hundreds of riders in front of you, hundreds of helpers and marshalls everywhere. The whole course will be busier than glentress on a sunday.

rusty90
    Free Member

No navigation required, just join the queue

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are some unofficial Strava routes but I’m just going with the mind that I’ll try to hang on with a couple of groups.. More than enough people doing it to just follow then gap then follow the trails of CX tyres, then spot a bloke or three in CX gear, then hear the random shouts of the Marshall’s.

TBH, I’m a bit nervous..

IdleJon

Its a race, there’s no need for map and compass.

The only time I could see the point of carrying stuff like that is if you were so slow that everyone else had gone home. Which, if you are wasting time checking sat-navs etc, might be the case. 😆

And I’ll reiterate – it’s a proper, full-on race. You knew that?

crazy-legs

http://3peakscyclocross.org.uk/course-details/

A blind man on a dark night couldn’t get lost on that route.

By all means feel free to write route info on your stem but you won’t be able to read it with the bike rattling and bouncing around under you!

eddie11
    Free Member

for anyone who is nervous or having second thoughts i will gladly take your entry off your hands you lucky lucky barstards.

IdleJon

By all means feel free to write route info on your stem but you won’t be able to read it with the bike rattling and bouncing around under you!

And it’s pretty simple anyway..

Start, pedal like billy-o until the left turn across the fields. Up for 45 minutes. Down. Fall off. Road for a few miles. Turn left. Up for 45 minutes. Down. Fall off. Road for a few miles. Turn left. Up for 45 mins. Down. Try not to fall off, it’ll hurt. Road for a few miles. Lie down.

whitestone
    Free Member

@idlejon

And don’t fall off at the very last turn off the road to the finish 😛 A fast ninety degree turn on to gravel can be interesting.

IdleJon

And don’t fall off at the very last turn off the road to the finish A fast ninety degree turn on to gravel can be interesting.

😆 and embarrassing?

It was there that the announcer said, as I finished, “And here’s a young lady from Schmoos..” Cue me, looking over my shoulder for any other Schmoos riders, male or female. 😕 I hadn’t shaved all weekend either..

tlr

The only thing I found useful pyscologically was to have the distance of each section written on my stem, so I knew how far to the top, how much on the road etc.

Map reading is not required, although I would like to see someone on the start line with a map board and compass…..

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanks guys!
    Yeah I know it’s a race but my navigation is not the best!
    Just thoughts going through my mind!
    Just one less thing to worry about!
    Yeah,
    My mind is up and down at the moment!
    One minute excited next minute dreading it!
    Sure I am gonna enjoy it!

qwerty
    Free Member

Fantastic event. One of the best i’ve ever done. Wacky racing on bikes. I can still remember the brief warning visit of quad cramp on the ascent of Pen y Gent, and the hollow emptyness of my legs & uselessness of any gear on that final tarmac section. Enjoy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks CX route.’ is closed to new replies.