• This topic has 144 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TedC.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • 3 Favourite Movie scenes of all time
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

The end of Matix 1 where Neo flexes and the world flexes with him. Goosebumps,
    Anything in the LOTR
    Its a wonderful life. Makes me well up everytime. All of it!

nickc

Monty Python,  either Romans go home or Holy hand grenade, either one will do, they’re both almost perfect.

Blade Runner “Do you like our Owl” Deckard, Rachel and Tyrell all playing their parts in revealing that Rachel isn’t a human, and Rachel is the last to know…Horrible moment when you realise along with Rachel that she isn’t what she thinks she is, “She’s beginning to suspect I think…” The callousness of that is grim

Ex Machina – Ava and Kyoko have a plan, and Nathan get’s whats coming. It’s the banality of the horror of what “she’s” done, and his disbelief that make the scene so uncomfortable to watch…

And one more,  for fun – Old Boy. The octopus

Cougar

I’m glad that The Matrix is getting so much love. It hasn’t aged all that well but it was massively groundbreaking at the time. I came out of the cinema thinking it was the most amazing thing I’d ever seen. Then later you start thinking about it and realise that it doesn’t make a jot of sense. (-:

But it is a great film so if anyone hasn’t seen it

WHY NOT 🤣

Well, quite.

zilog6128

I’m glad that The Matrix is getting so much love. It hasn’t aged all that well

probably because you’re watching it on a telly, with weedy speakers vs how you remember it at the pictures. I saw the 4K remaster at the cinema last year – it was **** awesome, every bit as good as I remember it. Only one scene looked a bit ropey IMO, the lobby explosion, which was 100% ageing CGI (and it showed).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Due to my age and childhood, one of them would almost certainly have to be a standoff between Clint Eastwood and A.N.Other(s), probably involving Lee Van Cleef and possibly a musical pocket watch, but not necessarily.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Diva – naughty cop on the take blow up Bohringer’s Citroen TA, or so he thinks. Bohringer steps out of the shadows and gets into a decoy TA.

Bugger me! Someone else remembers Diva. Great film.

razorrazoo

Some great ones already, originally came in to post the classic True Romance scene.  Anyhow a couple more:

easily
    Free Member

The scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly when Tuco and Blondie are dressed in stolen confederate uniforms. They see soldiers ride towards them and are trying to work out if they are from the north or south. Tuco says it’s ok as they are wearing grey, so they stand in the road till the troop arrives.
    As they stand there the soldiers draw up and pat themselves down. Clouds of dust fly off, revealing Union uniforms.
    … but really just about any scene from that movie, from the opening to the end.

Toy Story 2, when the heroes get lost in the toy store and get shown around by tour guide Barbie.

Baz Lurhmann’s Romeo + Juliet – the opening scene from the prologue to the fight at the petrol station.

andykirk
    Free Member

I must be the only one who thinks The Matrix is utter pants. Fancy special effects do not a film make.

The closing scene of the original Wicker Man must be up there.

A good mention of Betty Blue above though. The whole film and soundtrack is a masterpiece.

flange
    Free Member

Convoy – ‘well piss on ya, and piss on ya law’
    Fun fact – both my brother and I can quote every line from that movie including the song

Full Metal Jacket – the scene where they walk through the bombed streets

Lock Stock – Rory breaker and nick the Greek. ‘Is this some white c**** joke that black c**** don’t get, because I’m not f**** laughin Nick-o-larse’…

gauss1777
    Free Member

mrsheen
    Free Member

Cougar

probably because you’re watching it on a telly,

Nah. It’s a technically brilliant, groundbreaking film and I can still appreciate that, the problem is that its technical brilliance distracts from the fact that the plot is abject twaddle. Once the then-revolutionary tech becomes mainstream it loses its USP somewhat.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^^
    ‘It’s a JAVELIN!!!’
    ‘Dehn’t be silly’

avdave2

Two incredibly powerful and utterly contrasting scenes from a couple of films set just a few years apart.

matt_outandabout

The ending of Black Hawk Down as they walk out of town.

*That* Ronin chase scene.

Blues Brothers.

Harry_the_Spider

the fight between that guy & Cusack by the school lockers is probably my favourite screen fight of all time! Brutal, brilliant choreography & dare I say it (never actually been in a fight to the death) seems very realistic! Also I love that when it’s over, he is visibly exhausted (most movie fights end with the hero not even out of breath and running straight off to do something else 😃)

The pair of them know what they doing and the other guy in the scene is Benny Urquidez

From Wiki.

Cusack trained in kickboxing under former world kickboxing champion Benny Urquidez for over twenty years. He began training under Urquidez in preparation for his role in Say Anything… and holds the rank of a level six black belt in Urquidez’s Ukidokan Kickboxing system

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’m glad that The Matrix is getting so much love. It hasn’t aged all that well but it was massively groundbreaking at the time. I came out of the cinema thinking it was the most amazing thing I’d ever seen. Then later you start thinking about it and realise that it doesn’t make a jot of sense.

Why doesn’t it make sense? explain.

I must be the only one who thinks The Matrix is utter pants. Fancy special effects do not a film make.

Depends how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole. Its packed with clever little references to philosophy, religioun and symbolism.

gauss1777
    Free Member

The scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly when Tuco and Blondie are dressed in stolen confederate uniforms. They see soldiers ride towards them and are trying to work out if they are from the north or south. Tuco says it’s ok as they are wearing grey, so they stand in the road till the troop arrives.
    As they stand there the soldiers draw up and pat themselves down. Clouds of dust fly off, revealing Union uniforms.
    … but really just about any scene from that movie, from the opening to the end.

I missed this before I posted my impossible selection. I totally agree, so so many scenes from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. From the very beginning where three mean looking guys turn up looking for someone and Tuco shoots them off screen and jumps out of a window, gun in one hand, chicken leg in the other. To the very end in the grave yard. Most of them include Tuco.

“Who the hell is that? One bastard goes in, another one comes out.“

Another film full of great scenes is Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

DezB
    Free Member

This from the Incredibles. No other superhero film can touch it! 😀

kcal

@eddiebaby

Bugger me! Someone else remembers Diva. Great film.

I love it. Took me a while before got around to seeing it (flatmate had raved about it for ages). DVD copy – check.

See also Death in a French Garden – the scene cuts in that are inventive. Great music. The copies floating around aren’t quite as explicit as I recall it though!

sparksmcguff

The joke at the end of La Haine.
    The surfing scene in Apocalypse Now.
    “He’s not Jesus he’s just a fella” from whistle down the wind.

Harry_the_Spider

Just bought a copy of Butch Cassidy to further my kid’s education during lockdown.

Another classic scene, especially where Kelly, Odd Ball and Big Joe approach the Tiger, itself a parody of other Clint Eastwood movies.

Donald Sutherland steals every scene in the movie just with his eye movements.

Also,

“Spring Chicken to Shitehawk in five minutes.”

…and this. Brutal and NSFW or small kids.

RustySpanner

Having had a proper think, the end of the original Wicker Man has to be in there.

oikeith

A Few Good Men – You Cant Handle The Truth!

binners

Oh, I forgot this one. Can I have a fourth? Johnny’s rant to Brian about the future in Naked. One of the most intense performances ever

nickc

That “Fury” clip is such nonsense though

Harry_the_Spider

Tense nonsense.

DezB
    Free Member

The crane chase in Terminator 2 was amazing when I first saw it at the cinema.

Some scenes are so classic to have almost become clichés.. but it’s only cos they are brilliant, eg:
    Deniro – “You lookin at me?”
    Mr Blonde + “Stuck in the Middle With You”
    The blood testing and the “spider” alien in The Thing

Cougar

Why doesn’t [The Matrix] make sense? explain.

Humans would make shit batteries. You’d probably get more energy from burning them. Plus, why bother, where are all the animals?

Why is it necessary for the Matrix to exist at all? The machines could just strap us in, why do we need to be tricked? This might’ve been explained, it’s a while since I’ve watched it; but again, where are all the animals? You wouldn’t need an elaborate Matrix savanna for plugged-in elephants, cows wouldn’t need the Mootrix.

Why aren’t the real world bodies totally atrophied? And why are liberated bodies conveniently flushed away rather than just killed?

The Matrix and real world are supposed to be separate unless you die. So why do Neo et al they physically react when Smith is beating the snot out of them?

Who’s operator when Cypher’s in the Matrix double-crossing them?

Etc, etc.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Humans would make shit batteries. You’d probably get more energy from burning them. Plus, why bother, where are all the animals?
    Why is it necessary for the Matrix to exist at all? The machines could just strap us in, why do we need to be tricked? This might’ve been explained, it’s a while since I’ve watched it; but again, where are all the animals? You wouldn’t need an elaborate Matrix savanna for plugged-in elephants, cows wouldn’t need the Mootrix.
    Why aren’t the real world bodies totally atrophied? And why are liberated bodies conveniently flushed away rather than just killed?
    The Matrix and real world are supposed to be separate unless you die. So why do Neo et al they physically react when Smith is beating the snot out of them?
    Who’s operator when Cypher’s in the Matrix double-crossing them?
    Etc, etc.

The movie is much more than the baseline “story” though. That story is just a vehicle to convey deeper philosophical, religious and social concepts and that is why the movie is so popular and well regarded.

nickc

Why doesn’t [The Matrix] make sense? explain.

Why doesn’t Neo kill Morpheus with the Gatling gun?

Siti (or whatever her name is)?

How does Zion exist at all?

The Path of the One makes no sense

zilog6128

The movie is much more than the baseline “story” though. That story is just a vehicle to convey deeper philosophical, religious and social concepts and that is why the movie is so popular and well regarded.

this is true and perhaps anyone looking at the story/plot completely literally is missing the whole point, although I’m not sure most “holes” can’t be explained?

Possibly all the animals are dead? Scorched sky and all that. but…

Why is it necessary for the Matrix to exist at all? The machines could just strap us in, why do we need to be tricked?

I don’t think the machines necessarily want to kill all humans… this isn’t The Terminator… they just want not to be killed BY humans. The whole war was one of self-defence, from the machines’ perspective. So possibly the matrix is a way of keeping humanity placid.

Why aren’t the real world bodies totally atrophied?

their brains are plugged into a computer. I’m sure it could fire off enough microsimulation of the muscles to stop them totally wasting away. Next.

same reason people sometimes physically react when they’re dreaming? Come on, have you even thought about these? 😂

Why doesn’t Neo kill Morpheus with the Gatling gun?

What happens in the matrix isn’t real. Neo can control the matrix with his mind. So what he does in the matrix does not have to follow the “rules” of real life. How can that possibly have escaped you 😂

Cougar

Sure it is. I think it’s a great film. I just think that the plot – the “as presented” plot rather than any potential subtexts – doesn’t make a lot of sense.

same reason people sometimes physically react when they’re dreaming? Come on, have you even thought about these? 😂

I don’t recall ever waking up from a dream coughing up blood.

There’s a whole load of these where the film self-contradicts its own rules. It seems arbitrary and inconsistent as to what can / can’t injure the protagonists or when the system can or can’t use its abilities.

DezB
    Free Member

Christ, deep diving into the plot holes of science fiction films! That’s a whole other thread.
    And a really boring one.

piha
    Free Member

The break up scene from ‘Blue is the Warmest Colour’.

It left me utterly exhausted, as did the entire film.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In no particular order:

Kellys Heroes where Oddballs Sherman is hunting the Tigers in the town. Absolutely brilliant.

Inglorious Basterds (could just pick any of it) but the cinema when they’re pretending to be Italian movie directors through to them blowing the place up. Brad Pitt’s and Taratino’s finest film I reckon. Could have easily chosen any number of clips from that film including the bar, the opening scene, the bit in the woods, the “features” clip and subsequent breaking out of Stiglitz. Going to watch that tonight I think…

Captain Phillips – towards the end where the 3 US Navy ships conduct the plan to kill the pirates. Another favourite film.

hols2
    Free Member

That story is just a vehicle to convey deeper shallow philosophical, religious and social concepts nonsense and that is why the movie is so popular and well regarded.

It was a pretty amazing action movie though BITD.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

The Italian Job (the proper one) – the whole Mini Cooper escape sequence up to the credit roll.

Pulp Fiction, when Vincent and Lance are outraged at Vincent’s car getting keyed (“no trial, no jury, straight to execution!”). Whilst weighing out a big bag of heroin. (In fact most of Travolta’s scenes in the Mia Wallace part of the story.)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas – opening scene in the Red Shark driving through the desert.

MSP

4 lions is another film with many great scenes (although the film lacks something as a complete work IMO)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘3 Favourite Movie scenes of all time’ is closed to new replies.