• This topic has 144 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TedC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • 3 Favourite Movie scenes of all time
  • Merak

1 Indianapolis scene from Jaws.

Robert Shaw’s monologue is pertinent because the internet says he was there.

2 Bar scene from Inglorious Bastards.

Just because Taranrtino paints a picture with words and builds a palpable tension with scene and dialogue.

3 Terminator 2 bar scene. Just because.

Spin
    Free Member

Off the top of my head…

The Danny Boy machine gun fight scene in Miller’s Crossing.

The ‘when I run I feel his pleasure’ scene in Chariots of Fire.

Omar Sharif riding out of the heat haze in Lawrence of Arabia.

701arvn
    Free Member

“open the pod bay doors Hal” – 2001

I’ve worked in IT for the last thirty years and it still makes me laugh, he’s not going to open the doors Dave and that’ll teach you to remember your helmet.

“you’re going to need a bigger boat” – Jaws

A bald statement of incontrovertible fact, the shark has not aged well that’s for sure, but in all other respects a superb movie – as above; the monologue about the USS Indianapolis is brilliant.

“Luke, I am your father” – The Empire Strikes Back

Thirteen year old me was totally stunned; mind blown, to be honest I’m still in a bit of a daze. Stands in stark contrast to every other Star Wars Movie since; they should have just stopped right there.

zilog6128

The Matrix lobby shootout. The most badass thing I’d seen on film at the time. Wicked soundtrack.

The Untouchables – train station. The music. The tension!! A masterpiece. “You got him?” “Yeah, I got him.”

That bit in Flash Gordon when Brian Blessed yells out DIIIIIIIIIIVE and all the lasers go pew pew then Brian May’s guitar kicks in DRRRAAAANNNNNGGGGGGGGG. Finest moment in the history of the silver screen.

w00dster

Expect some flak for this, but first Matrix, right at the start, Trinity’s fight with the police. Just remember watching it at the cinema and being blown away.
    The first Bourne film, he’s in a park and is awoken by Swiss police, fights with skills he didn’t know he had.
    Apocalypse Now helicopter scene. Should have put that one first, but it’s very late and past my bed time.
    Loads of others being very memorable, Alien John Hurt chest scene. Das Boot when they are being hunted and everything is done via sound, crew have to whisper. Not a single scene as such but still very good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

True Romance, when Dennis Hopper realises he’s getting killed and has the monologue about Moors and Italians.

Most scenes in Goodfellas

“get 3 coffins ready”

If I have time to think about it it will get better.

garage-dweller

1) the dinner scene from Donnie Darko that family fight is just perfect.

2) the scene from 2001 where Dave goes out to rescue Poole, such an incredible sense of tension

3) probably the scene from the Matrix where Smith is interrogating Morpheus, cold brutality from Hugo Weaving

The other two matrix scenes also blew me away on first watch. It’s not as awful a film as people make out – the first one anyway. I’ve seen it said that Equilibrium was the film the Matrix should have been but that’s not doing justice to either they were both visually slick for their day but quite differently plotted and in their mood.

zilog6128

True Romance, when Dennis Hopper realises he’s getting killed and has the monologue about Moors and Italians.

I was trying to decide between Tarantino scenes but there are so many, that is one of the best for sure tho

hols2
    Free Member

downshep

Alien Diva operatic performance in the Fifth Element was struck a chord.

RustySpanner

The Sad Hill cemetary scene from TGTB&TU.

The dancing Scene with Stan and Ollie from Way Out West.

The opening of Once Upon A Time In The West, although the Shower scene from American Werewolf In London is a close contender…🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Clever girl in Jurassic Park

I have seen things Blade Runner

What strategy Homeland ( not a film I know)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cheek to Cheek from Top Hat.

Crazy 88 scene from Kill Bill.

Tommy Caldwell deciding to climb back down to Kevin Jorgensen in The Dawn Wall.

twonks

By the way, is there anybody on board who knows how to fly a plane.

jimw
    Free Member

Not necessarily greatest but for me memorable for a number of reasons
    1. ‘Well, Edward, you’ll just need to buck up. You need to accept the fact
    you’re stinking rich’ Local Hero. It may sound mawkish but seeing this film made me , a southern Jessie, want to visit Northern Scotland which I have done for every year (bar this one) since 1985.
    2. The take off scene with Peter O’Toole in a Grumman Duck Murphy’s War. Flown by Frank Tallman.
    3.the first scene in Star Wars where the huge craft flies over the head. As a 14 year old in the Leicester Square cinema in 1977 this was astonishing

renton
    Free Member

Pacino and De-Niro Having coffee in Heat.

All of Goodfellas.

Rentons toilet scene in Trainspotting.

martinhutch

All of Goodfellas, especially the Layla scene. Plus the Christening scene in Godfather.

And one from childhood:

darkroomtim
    Free Member

The bit in Crash where the guy goes to kill someone but unknowingly has blanks in his gun

The quite large bit in Heat where they come out the bank

Spin
    Free Member

Well, Edward, you’ll just need to buck up. You need to accept the fact
    you’re stinking rich’ Local Hero. It may sound mawkish but seeing this film made me , a southern Jessie, want to visit Northern Scotland which I have done for every year (bar this one) since 1985.

Local Hero is a flawless pearl of a film. It is sentimental but manages to avoid sentimentality if that makes sense.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Predator-helicopter scene. Jesse Ventura at his finest

Top Gun-opening sequence, still get the chills

Ghostbusters 1- Venkman getting slimed

All total cheese, but awesome nonetheless.

DezB
    Free Member

Someone nicked my No Country one 🙂

So –
    Another bar scene – but this one from Near Dark

Southern Comfort – loads in that, but especially in the village, where the pig slaughter happens and the cajun music kicks off. So tense.

Miami Blues, scene where Fred Ward and Alec Baldwin first meet. They are brilliant

anagallis_arvensis

From about 1 min in here:

Plus the opening scene from Star Wars.

and Jango Fett beating the shit out of this bloke.

Klunk
    Free Member

“the last fight” from Battle of Britain music by william walton

from 4.00

and with no music just the wind pump squeak the opening scene from once upon a time in the west
    simply stunning

pbr street gang this is almighty come in…..

mmannerr

Several of my favourites already mentioned, I want to add the following to the list:
    Spinal Tap final scene
    Collateral disco scene

supernova

Any scene from Ferris Beuller

The dance final in Strictly Ballroom

‘You think that’s air you’re breathing?’ in The Matrix

Harry_the_Spider

Goodfellas: “Do I amuse you?” Which way is crazy Tommy going to go?

Star Wars: Opening shot when the Star Destroyer passes overhead. I saw this at the cinema in 1977 and it blew my mind.

A Bridge Too Far: The boy on the bike and the Spitfire. So much hope that ultimately comes to nothing.

Also, the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. But at 20+ minutes it is a film in itself rather than a mere scene.

binners

The best movie scene ever because as a final scene it completely changes the whole film. You realise that while you’ve been laughing your tits off all the way through it, what you’ve actually just watched is a love story and a tragedy

Just bonkers, still…

I first watched this as a kid and laughed my head off. I still do now. There is still nothing funnier than farting 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Star Wars: Opening shot when the Star Destroyer passes overhead. I saw this at the cinema in 1977 and it blew my mind.

Have to agree with this – I still get tingles down my spine when I see any Star Wars intro.

richmtb

Quite a few good ones so far not sure if any one has said the opening sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark, about as iconic as film gets.

Also

EDIT

The Matrix lobby shootout. The most badass thing I’d seen on film at the time. Wicked soundtrack.

The helicopter rescue scene was also utterly mind blowing. It ended with a perfect pay off line too. “Now do you believe he is the One”

jimw
    Free Member

Also, the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan

When I watched this in the cinema the guy next to me (whom I didn’t know)was eating popcorn all the way through. There was me transfixed and feeling nauseous from what I had seen on the screen, well, I couldn’t have eaten anything at that point

LS
    Free Member

As a combination of scenes, the first three of Dirty Harry (rooftop, mayor’s office, then the bank job) introduce the character in a brilliant way and tell you exactly what he and the rest of the film are about.

All cliche now of course but they wouldn’t have been when he was pretty much the first character of the type.

MSP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFf79ui1gQ

I will come up with 2 more later, this always has me in tears.

footflaps

3.the first scene in Star Wars where the huge craft flies over the head. As a 14 year old in the Leicester Square cinema in 1977 this was astonishing

Yep, the sense of scale is amazing…

RustySpanner

tpbiker
    Free Member

Indianapolis scene from Jaws

I opened this thread purely to check someone had mentioned that one.. so good to see it’s the first one on the list!

spooky211
    Free Member

Opening scene from Saving Private Ryan, my dad I were transfixed for the first 30mins.

Last of the Mohicans – scene where Magua gets done – the music, the aggression in DDL’s dad’s face when he see’s his other son get his throat cut etc, powerful scene!

Bullitt car chase.

martinhutch

I forgot this one:

oomidamon

Three of mine:
    Holy Grail – Killer Rabbit
    Alien – Dallas in the airlocks
    Reservoir Dogs – the scene just after the robbery

ChrisL

I don’t know if it’s my favourite, but the Ultimart scene in Grosse Point Blank has some very nice touches.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Shawshank Redemption – beach scene.
    Team America – jeep chase scene.
    Up – The life story montage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘3 Favourite Movie scenes of all time’ is closed to new replies.