Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 3 day self supported walking route in the Scottish Highlands.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Looking for some route inspiration/ideas for a wee expedition in May. Anywhere considered. Not necessarily Munros need to be involved. Any experience of Lewis/Harris? or is that better saved for the mtb?

br
    Free Member

Pitlochry to Aviemore – loads of routes, get the map out.

scotroutes

Tons of options up, over and round the Cairngorms, but how about the (relatively) new Affric-Kintail Way?

http://www.affrickintailway.com/

If 44 miles isn’t enough for you then you could start in INverness and walk the Great Glen Way to Drumnadrochit.

paladin

If 44 miles isn’t enough for you then you could start in INverness and walk the Great Glen Way to Drumnadrochit.

he could crawl that in 3 days 😀

scotroutes

Ah, maybe I wasn’t making myself clear. I meant walk to Drum and start the AK Way from there, making it a 62 mile route.

trademark
    Free Member

Clear enough to me …

Would travelling West to East on the AKW then South to North on the GGW not be best to have wind assistance?

scotroutes

Possibly. I guess the defining factor would be public transport and which worked out easier. From a commitment/contingency perspective that would also give a bale-out on the third day. Mind you, I think Kintail makes for a nicer finishing point than Inverness, with the terrain getting progressively more wild.

lotto
    Free Member

Any experiences of Glen Coe, Glen Affric,Torridon? Who am I trying to kid…..I want big Munros and a good challenge with 20kg on my back 😀 Knoydart has been explored, need more of the same.

trademark
    Free Member

I guess the defining factor would be public transport

Quite. I was going to ask you about that in an Email so as not to hijack this thread.

@ lotto, I’d personally keep Harris/Lewis for my bike and a Hopscotch ticket.

Scenery getting progressively wilder is always a preference.

Thanks.

scotroutes

Train from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh (fabulous in its own right) then bus to Morvich.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Loch Mullardoch circuit?

13thfloormonk

How about…

Blair Atholl – Allt Schiecheachan Bothy (train to Blair Atholl the night before day 1)
    Allt Schiecheachan to Tarf Bothy via Beinn Dearg (day 1)
    Tarf Bothy to Ruigh Aiteachain bothy via An Sgarsoch and Glen Feshie (day 2)
    Ruigh Ateachain Bothy to Aviemore via Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Clach a Bhlair (day 3, train home from Aviemore)

Nice round Cairngorm hills so easy backpacking 😀

or….

Tomintoul – Loch Builg (wild camp, day 1)
    Loch Builg – Faindouran bothy over Ben Avon (day 2)
    Faindouran Bothy back to Tomintoul via Bynack Mor and the Water of Caiplich/Water of Ailnack (day 3)

Slightly bigger days, slightly wilder

or…

Dundonnel to Carnmore Bothy (or better yet wild camp high up somewhere)
    Carnmore to Lochivraon Bothy via A’Mhaighdean, Ruadh Stac Mor, Beinn Tarsuinn and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair (big day with 20kgs though, and some scrambling)
    Lochivraon to Dundonnel via ‘the white mile’, Sgurr Ban, Beinn a Chlaidheamh and Achneigie

This would be spectacular if you got the conditions but would also be pretty punishing unless you’re fit and carrying lightweight gear, it is/was a pipedream of mine if I ever shake off my various niggling knee injuries…

A circuit of Loch Monar is 42km with a pretty tasty looking horseshoe of Munros at one end, you could even descend to Bearnais Bothy at the natural halfway point of the horseshoe. Haven’t figured out the logistics at the other end, think the Landowners are a bit stuck in the past regarding access along the road to the start of the loch…

paladin

scotroutes – Member
    Ah, maybe I wasn’t making myself clear. I meant walk to Drum and start the AK Way from there, making it a 62 mile route

my apologies, im a bit thick sometimes….
    thanks tho, scotroutes, ive just put the AK way on my to-do list 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve become too Americanised by TV, but I keep reading that link as “A Frickin’ Tail-Way.com”

scotroutes

I should really add..

If there’s a large enough group of you and/or you want to cycle it then there’s a “bike” taxi service operating out of Inverness that may be attractive.

http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk

Caveat: yes, that’s me advertising where I work.

matt_outandabout

Train to Fort William. Train home from Aviemore or Kingussie.

Draw a wiggly line between them, linking up a bothy or two, a nice hill or three.

Report back.

epicyclo

lotto – Member
    …Any experience of Lewis/Harris? or is that better saved for the mtb?

Plenty good walks in Harris. The best ones take you across various ranges, so then you have a choice of walking back the way you came, or a long walk back on the road.

I usually take a lightweight bike with me for that reason even though it’s usually a case of hike a bike on the trails, but it does expand what you can do without needing pickups organised.

The Scriop from Urgha to Rhenigdale is a good walk, but try to allow enough time to visit Molinginish on the way (a wee detour). I have made a loop out of that by then walking on road from Rhenigdale to the Mariag end of the Maraig-Urgha trail which takes you out a wee bit closer to Tarbert than the start, but next time I do it I’ll be taking the bike for the transit bit even though it won’t be ridden much offroad (unless I take the fatbike).

There’s the coffin road in Sth Harris, and also from Bowglass over to the Huisinish road in the north. There’s lots more, and really OS maps are your friend.

Expect to get your feet wet. 🙂

scotroutes

The problem with Harris-Lewis (and the Oooter Hebrides as a whole) is that travel time to the start and back from the end will be more than your walking time if only doing three days.

lotto
    Free Member

The Loch Mullardoch circuit interests me. 12 Munros so plenty of climbing. 13th floor monks suggestions will give me a good few hours fawning over the map. Afrikintailway looks good,but maybe a good one for the bike? Nice to see on the website that biking it is actually encouraged. Worth cranking it out in a day or better spread over two?

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m thinking about doing a coast to coast a bit further north. eg Attadale/Strathcarron to Beauly. Not figured out the exact route, but probably to the north side of Loch Monar, then down Glen Orrin. There are plenty of Munros you can go over if you want. Also a few bothies.
    Though maybe not many paths in place, could be miles through heather or bogs…

13thfloormonk

a good few hours fawning over the map

That’s the best bit anyway 8)

If you don’t have access to 1:25000 maps for the areas then you can register for Walkhighlands, they have a free GPS planner with 1:25000 mapping.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘3 day self supported walking route in the Scottish Highlands.’ is closed to new replies.