Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2×9 set up?
  • PaulBecks
    Free Member

what's the best ring and cassette ratio for a 2×9 set up?

Paul

kiwijohn

XC or FR?
    On the all-rounder i use a 11-34 with 22/36/ bash. For the racer I use 11-34 with 29/42.

clubber
    Free Member

See this thread of mine:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/experiences-from-other-2×9-and-no-bashring-users

11-34 cassette and 36/24 chainrings for xc/trail riding.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

cheers for the linky Clubber, pretty much covered most of my questions in one hit there!

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Personally i dont see the point in a 36+ ring on a trail bike. I had a 36 on my dh bike and would only spin that out pedalling after the offbeat wall at ft bill…would i **** want to be going that fast off-road on my trail bike!
    Currently run a 22/32 and 11-32 cassette and dont spin it out. It gives a nice bit of clearence and will get you up most everything, but then i guess it depends what you regularly ride.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I run an slx double and bash. Seems fine for most things.

forge197
    Free Member

I ran 36t for one ride and realised it didn't suit my legs, so run 22/32 not sure about the rear but either 11-32 or 34 and that works for me fine.

Think you need to try some combos and see what suits you best

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

22/36 and 11-34 for me.

njee20
    Free Member

28/42 and 11-34 here.

Rickos
    Free Member

22/34 front and 11/34 on the back, but I'm a wimp uphill.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I;m thinking about doing this for my xc bike – would probably try and run 26/40 or 26/38 with an 11-34 cassette. Where can I get a 40t chainring, had a brief search on the usual websites but no luck. Any pointers?

jonb
    Free Member

I run 22/32 11-34 seems fine for most things.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

check the weight weenie forum for ideas and advice

njee20
    Free Member

TA do chainrings in all sizes! I'm actually running a 28/40 come to think of it!

40s are only available as 'middle' rings, so they have shift ramps and such, but they work perfectly well as 'big' rings.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

I do not have this setup so cannot recommend it, but I too have been looking into 2×9 setups, mine would be for my next future race XC hardtail build. I have been looking at the Controltech Double Play crankset (you did not give idea of budget :-)). I have been thinking of 29/40 rings with 12/34 cassette would be ideal for most courses and situations.

I have been wanting an option that would be cheaper than SRAM XX, replacement rings cheaper too. Just hope they do a BB30 version too in the future…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Use 29-40 with 11-28 suits me well for raceing

racing_ralph
    Free Member

stuartanicholson – Member

Personally i dont see the point in a 36+ ring on a trail bike. I had a 36 on my dh bike and would only spin that out pedalling after the offbeat wall at ft bill…would i **** want to be going that fast off-road on my trail bike!
    Currently run a 22/32 and 11-32 cassette and dont spin it out. It gives a nice bit of clearence and will get you up most everything, but then i guess it depends what you regularly ride.

Like was said to TJ when he quoted that line – some people actually RIDE to the trails on the road or use the road to link sections up, spinning away is shit

kiwijohn

If a 32 big ring is big enough for you, you need to grow a set.

GW
    Free Member

22/36 & 11 28 (8speed) on my hardtail
    I also use a 36T on my DH bike and totally agree with Stuartnicholson.

Kiwi john have you even ridden Ft Willaim? never mind, cleared the tissot or the last tripple?

I ride on roads to local trails too, 36T is enough to break a 30mph speed limit comfortably.. if I wanted to break 40 & 50mph limits I'd take f***ing the road bike out 😕 Why use up all your energy on road sections when you're on your mountainbike? 🙄

eth3er
    Free Member

I've been running 26/36 (changed from 22/34 – much too spinny) and 11/34 here with a bash for 3 years now, works great.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rolf – I only spin out the 36/11 top gear downhill on road. 30 mph. I can't do that on the flat on an MTB

sailor74
    Free Member

how are you guys setting your 2×9 up, i find if i set up so that big/big is useable the the chain can get a bit floppy when in the small ring, alternatively if i remove a link the big/big stretches the rear mech out which makes the 3 low gears on the rear un-useable when using big up front.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine is set big / big plus 2 links. I can use all 9 gears in the 36 ring and 1-7 on the 22 ring.

I trhink one of the things over geraring is how fast a cadence you like – I like to spin away at a fastish cadence – so 22/36 gives me gears from 3-30mph. If you like to mash then it could be low. However 36 rather than 42 means you only lose the top gear and a half – 36 /11 is between 42 ring gear 7 and 8

sharkbait
    Free Member

oops, wrong post!

clubber
    Free Member

M760 as in this:

That's what I use too. Pretty much any 4 arm chainring works – you don't have to stick to Shimano.

eg: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35827

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2×9 set up?’ is closed to new replies.