Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 29er/700c rim for road tyres AND mtb tyres – Moon on a stick request?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

For reasons best known to myself, I fancy building a 29er wheel(set) which I can use on a road bike or a MTB (expensive hubs I want on both bikes and can’t justify 2 sets)

Are there any rims available that can take a 25c road tyre, and a 2.2″ mtb tyre. Disc-specific is fine but not essential, and available in 28h would be good.

DT XR400-29 has caught my eye. Only 15g more than a Mavic Open Pro, but apparently only good for 1.5″ min tyre. I guess a 32c might be ok, but I wouldn’t mind being able to go narrower.

boysie
    Free Member

It won’t work…. Road bikes have a different dropout spacing.

nikxl
    Free Member

I’m running vittoria pave 24s on mavic TN317 no issues

ir_bandito
    Free Member

boysie -yes it will. Its mainly the front wheel I want on both bikes (and thats the same). The rear is for a bike that doesn’t yet exist and can easily be built with mtb spacing. anyway, its the rims I’m askig about, not the hubs.

Cheers Nixxi, I’ll take a look at TN317s

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run open pros with 2.3s on, I really don’t see what the issue is here.

swampi
    Free Member

I have run open pro rims from 1.8 up to 2.4, been using them for years, am sure the narrow rim makes the profile of the tyre diff/rounder, but its never bothered me 🙂

jameso

17mm internal is fine for 25c and ok for 2.2″, a bit narrower for 2.2″ than I’d like but 717s never gave me any issues.
    Road rims are getting wider now anyway, bit more volume and tyre support is never a bad thing. You may be able to use 19mm with 28c, won’t be a superlight wheelset anyway? +/-2mm isn’t much tho

teasel
    Free Member

The LBS mechanic reckons the DT X470 rim seats a 25mm tyre without issues.

I wanted a disc-only 700c rime for a new project and that was his recommendation for my custom set. Still looking around, though…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Velocity a23, wide rim to support a mountain bike tyre. Not sure what they are like for strength though.

ianwilly
    Free Member

Stans Iron cross, work a treat.

maccruiskeen

boysie – Member

I’ve got an MTB disc hub on the back of my road bike for 3 years and it works absolutely fine. It’s not what they are designed for but it works.

convert

Velocity a23 here on a cross bike that is used a lot as a winter hack with 28mm road tyres. It comes with a disc only nmsw option. It’s a wide rim but not sure it’s that stong – the concept is to work with a 23mm road tyre as an aerodynamic advantage apparently. They make no claim it’s a strong rim

I guess it depends if you want a mtb rim you can bodge as a road rim or vice versa.

Do they still do the Salsa delgardo? Or go touring rim – have a look at spa cycles.

convert

I’m surprised the ironcross works – most stans rims have very low max tyre pressures so not great on the road. They must have cracked it for the road specific tubless rims so maybe the ironcross is ok too.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, the pressure thing is something I’ve just had a brainfart about. Seems the XR400 rims are suited to MTB pressures of up to 50ish psi. Open Pro is road specific so has to be the best option. Look good and ‘disc only’ in the CD finish, too, if you’re feeling tarty.

bol

I’m currently running Conti 4 Seasons on a set of Mavix TN719s on my Cotic X cross/winter bike. No problems. They come up nice and wide and roll really well.

boysie
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

boysie – Member

I’ve got an MTB disc hub on the back of my road bike for 3 years and it works absolutely fine. It’s not what they are designed for but it works.

Interesting! “Road” rear hubs have 130 mm spacing – MTB rear hubs have 135 mm spacing. All fronts have 100 mm spacing.

john_l
    Free Member

Plenty of road & cross frames with either 135mm or 132.5mm spacing.

Mavic A319s are worth a look – a bit heavy, but I’ve used them for 28mm road slicks & 2.2 Bonty ACXs. Tubeless too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

run 25s on a 19mm internal mtb rim, wasn’t the best shape but it worked. 28s work great though.

i reckon you want 17-19 mm internal

eddie11
    Free Member

ive had 25mm gatorskins on on-one’s own brand 29r wheelset but it was tight, wouldn’t want to get them off for a puncture at the roadside.

tk46hal
    Free Member

crests work ok with 28mm but not recommended for going narrower. I tried looking for the same rims and realised that you cannot get both from one wheel. I have gone for a set of Open Pro’s for a recent build. They will give me 23mm to 35/38mm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried looking for the same rims and realised that you cannot get both from one wheel

But (for the nth time) why? How am I running 2.3s on open pros without issues?

toppers3933
    Free Member

stans flow 29 with continental grand prix 23mm @120psi and never had a problem. handles fine.

Edit: i am not saying this is ideal. My point is don’t worry about it too much.

tk46hal
    Free Member

cynic-al,

Your probably right as your doing it! On paper you can’t. If your tyres pop off and you brake your finger nails then you can’t sue! 😉
    I’ll probably try 2.2’s on my Pro’s also and I’ll let you know!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ive had 25mm gatorskins on on-one’s own brand 29r wheelset but it was tight, wouldn’t want to get them off for a puncture at the roadside.

+1 I run 28mm GP4Seasons on my 29er Crests (commuter) and they are very tight. They handle the pressures okay (80-90ish psi) but I dread getting a puncture on a cold/wet commute, they are that tight.

rOcKeTdOg

The LBS mechanic reckons the DT X470 rim seats a 25mm tyre without issues

Tried that, they fit and inflate but the sides of the rims come a long way down the sidewalls though, I had no cinfidence leaning over in turns, extra depth on 32s works a treat though and i have 2.35 nobby nics &keep 2.4 ardents on there without issue

Onzadog
    Free Member

For the last couple of years, I’ve been running Stan’s arch rims on my road bike with 28mm gators at 100 psi.

I checked with Stan’s, the pressure limit on the rim is a tubeless reference. With a tube in, they said I can run what the tyre says.

And the rear wheel spacing on my Tripster is 135mm

akeys001

i do this with dt tk540’s (you can get rim or disc versions) but they’re 32h

rootes1

Mavic list max tyre width for open pro’s at 28, though you can fit bigger..

Mavic A319 has a wide range of permissable widths 28-47/50 can you use rim break on this rim.. but as above disc TN317

to be honest you can pick up a decent pair of road wheels for not much decathlon at Mavic bottom of range for £150 for instance and you can get cheaper pairs still – say Shimano RS10 complete for £80 pair..

then build your nice 29er wheels – much less faff than swapping tyres all the time.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘29er/700c rim for road tyres AND mtb tyres – Moon on a stick request?’ is closed to new replies.