Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er wheelset for CX?
  • prontomonto

I’m about to buy a secondhand cyclocross race bike. It comes with tubs (fantastic!) but I’m gonna need to buy a clincher wheelset for training on. It has disc brakes so I can’t use any of my old road wheels.

So I’m looking for a cheap 700c disc compatible wheelset, and I saw Deore 29″ wheels are very cheap. Will these work with cross tyres or are the rims too wide for 32mm tyres? Is there a difference in rear hub spacing? I’ll admit I always thought 29″ = 700c before I looked into it in any detail.

If they’re not compatible, does anyone have any other recommendations for a cheap cyclocross training disc wheelset?

PePPeR

There are two main hub spacings, 130mm for road bikes and 135 for mtb, but since the advent of discs on cx bikes, more and more are 135mm, you’ll need to measure your hub spacing before buying.

nick1962
    Free Member

I got two pairs from Superstar,one set were 29er mtb wheels with a narrow internal 18mm or 19mm rim and the other were described as 700c CX specific about 1600gm and were even better value in the sale.If you’re interested and in the North West England then I’ve got a pair of Richey OCR rims on Formula hubs off a Boardman CX, done less than 100 miles.Can let you have them for £60.E mail in profile

1-shed
    Free Member

29r wheels on my CX bike although I run 700 x 40. So yes you can do it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

A friend of mine runs crests tubeless with 32mm Vittoria’s, so not a problem.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’m selling some 700c disc wheels, hanbuilt and strong- see my post in classifieds if any use

househusband

As PePPeR; check! I, briefly, had a Haibike cx bike that had discs AND 130mm rear spacing; made considering new wheels a nightmare – the wheels that came with it were not going to last long under my weight and only 24 spokes… only a couple of expensive options for 130mm disc hubs.

I use Shimano MT56 29’er wheels on my CAADX, also built some Novatec hubs with Open Pro rims for £200 for more road/gravel riding.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve fitted 135mm disc wheels to a 130mm (alu) frame. No issues…

househusband

I’ve fitted 135mm disc wheels to a 130mm (alu) frame. No issues…

This was a carbon frame so I didn’t even want to try!

nemesis
    Free Member

Arguably the carbon frame would cope with it better than aluminium

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er wheelset for CX?’ is closed to new replies.