Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er In A Bike Box/Bag?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m thinking of taking the bike away on holiday with me next year but was wondering if a 29er would fit in a normal bike bag or box for the flight?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can just about get my Pitch in a bike bag and that’s a pretty long wheelbase (forks off is much easier) in a fairly average sized CRC bag, 29er wheels are 26″ without the tyres on so unless it’s massive then it should fit.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Do the wheels fit in the main bag?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I could get my 456 and the wheels with tyres on into it, the linkage of the pitch is pretty chunky so the tyres and forks have to come off anyway to pack them in at the front either side of the frame, with the 456 the frame went diagonally between the wheels

singlespeedstu

Yep all of my 29ers will fit into a bike bag.
    Need to remove the tyres to get the wheels into the wheel bags though.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The bike’s a large Solaris so not huge!
    I like the look of the CRC bag but I’d prefer it all together in one bag. I don’t think I’d trust baggage handlers with wheel bags separately!
    If he Evoc bags weren’t so dear I’d go for one of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’d easily fit in the CRC bags, just might be a case of dropping the forks out and taking the tyres off.

Andy

My Turner Sultan 29er FS goes into a CRC bike bag with handlebars and rear mech removed. The wheels also fit in the bike bag (inside the CRC wheel bags). Think I had to let the tyres down a bit to get the wheels in the wheel bags.

Edit – did not need to remove forks

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Another thing I’ve just thought about with taking the bike away with me, who’s any good for insurance to cover the bike while I’m away?
    I’ve got the bikes covered with M&S home insurance and they’re covered away from home – I’m still on the old policy that doesn’t charge extra to cover the bikes.
    My main concern is damage to the bikes while in transit. When I’m away they’ll be locked up inside when not in use so should be pretty safe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just crossed my fingers and hoped.

If it’s damaged in transit surely it’s easyjets (other purveyors of muddle aged sun damaged trolly dollies are available) responsibility, the rest of the time just being sensible like I would in the UK (i.e. not leaving it out of my sight).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er In A Bike Box/Bag?’ is closed to new replies.