Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • 29er hardtail inspiration sought
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Reach (as listed on geometry tables) is the horizontal distance from the top of the head tube to the BB, so isn’t affected by stem length.

I know, that was the problem. Now I gotcha, though, you mean you’d put on a 50mm stem… duh. if you hear a clunking noise….. it’s just me 😳

dukeduvet

Nukeproof Scout any good here

Review

ChrisL

The Scout’s about an inch shorter than the Mega, unfortunately.

dukeduvet

Shame as it sounds a lot of fun

ChrisL

I think that Northwind demoed one last year and his impression was “better than the other 29er hardtails available to demo that day,” which is hardly a ringing endorsement!

Northwind

I really liked the Bigwig actually. The Scout was too stiff for my taste but it did ride well. I didn’t like the dimensions on paper but it didn’t feel wrong when riding.

oldeh
    Free Member

I really like the look of the guerrilla gravity pedalhead.

ChrisL

oldeh – Member
    I really like the look of the guerrilla gravity pedalhead.

I wasn’t sure whether that name was a mickey take when I first read it! It looks interesting, possibly a bit more travel than I am after, potentially pretty brutal given the chunky box section stays and not cheap, but definitely interesting.

Edit: The XL frame is $195 more than the other sizes!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@ matt_0utandabout – re tyre size.

Just building up an Orange Clockwork 29er.

I put a 2.3 Minion DHF on a 25mm rim in the rear. Fits just right. Wouldn’t want to go any bigger, but then it’s a “normal” bike, not designed for plus size etc.

jim1970

ChrisL – Just to help my understanding since I’m currently looking at a 29er purchase.

Your Mega (assuming I’m looking at the right bike) has a longer reach than a Solaris but shorter TTe, Isn’t the TTe more important since this determines how long you actual reach will be when you’re on the saddle. The Mega has a much steeper (3deg) seat angle which effectively shortens the reach. I guess that all changes when your standing up though?

Have I got something wrong? Is reach more important than TTe? I do find this all very confusing. Any insight before I decide would be useful, since demoing XL frames is tricky.

jim1970

Been thinking since I wrote that. Should have thought more before I wrote. I can see how reach is at least as important as TTe, as when you’re flying down the trails you’re usually standing. I hadn’t really considered that before.

Thinking is hard.

ChrisL

I agree about the thinking, Jim.

Reach has become a popular measurement of late because as you says it gives an indication of how much stretched or otherwise a rider is when they’re out of the saddle. So it affects body position when you’re descending. A short reach could result in you being too upright on a bike when descending, or hung too much over the back, or too much over the front.

Top tube length probably is more relevant than reach when a rider is seated, so is probably a bigger influence when climbing. I should probably be considering it more than I am, I got persuaded that reach was the important thing when I was shopping for what became the Mega last year and I’ve probably let my eye off the ball when it comes to the other numbers.

Thinking about it I don’t feel too stretched out on the Mega either when seated or out of the saddle. It probably does feel shorter when I’m seated than when I’m out of the saddle, as would be suggested by its short top tube relative to its reach. Overall I’m happy with its shape. I’d be OK with a longer top tube. I wouldn’t want to reduce the top tube or the reach really.

A steeper seat tube angle will reduce the top tube length relative to the reach. Or from a different perspective, increasing the seat tube angle while keeping the top tube length constant will increase the reach. A 90 degree seat tube angle would result in the reach and top tube lengths being equal.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘29er hardtail inspiration sought’ is closed to new replies.