Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29 plus rims
  • Lummox

Curious about putting some 29+ wheels onto my singular puffin but it’s a bit of an investment! Trying to save costs where I can so looking o the hive for help.

on one fat not fats are these actually plus rims and can you still get spares?

45-50 m seems to be the suggested size but does smaller work?

how long lasting are halo vapour rims?

does anyone do a prebuilt 150/170 rear 29+ wheelset?

tia

legometeorology
    Free Member

I had a 29 x 3.0″ Minion on the front of my old Stooge and it was fine on a 30mm internal width rim. With a Rimpact insert, I had the pressure down to about 12 psi with no punctures and no tyre stability problems (I weight 77-78kg ish)

Daffy

I had Nextie Jungle Fox 50mm (42 internal) carbon rims and they were ace.  Light for their size too at 530g.

I tended to run 10-12PSI front and 14 in the rear.

rootes1

I used Halo Vapours and thought were quite robust – Halo built up a  150/148 wheel to suit a Jones so they will be able to do 150/170.

i was using 29×3 bonty XR2 at around 11-12psi.

big_scot_nanny

Thank god Stans Hugos are discontinued. I had several, warranty replaced many times, all failed at the spoke nipples and dented irreparably so so easily. Rubbish!

Anyway, they are gone, so good news! To replace I got Lightbicycle 50mm carbon rims. heavy duty ones (heavier, more material). Been superb. These fellas will sell you a pre built wheel as well.

Not answered many of your questions, soz!

letmetalktomark

I’ve used Surly Rabbit Hole rims, Stans Hugo, Velocity Dually and some Sun Ringle(?) rims.

I’ve a pair of Rabbit Holes on Salsa hubs on my Ritchey Commando that I occasionally run on my Puffin.

If I was to build a new pair of 29er plus wheels now and I wasn’t going to/couldn’t afford the carbon I would 100% go with the Velocity Duallys.

Choice of 29er plus tyres seems to be falling and the Duallys are quite happy with a 2.8” tyre ( a bit more choice) or even a 2.6” tyre at a push whereas the Hugo and Rabbit Hole rims at 50 and 52mm wide don’t really like the narrower tyres.

tuboflard

Velocity Dually’s are the answer. Been running them on Hope hubs on the Singular Rooster with 3” Chronicles first and now 2.8” Teravail Coronado’s, both of which are fine in terms of shape. The wheels haven’t needed touching apart from a new set of bearings front and back after about four years. Fit and forget.

Lummox

Awesome, couple I’d not heard of there and good to hear the experiences with the Hugo’s and halos.

thanks for your input

DougD

I got some Easton/Raceface ARC 40s built up on Hope Pro 4. Been running these with WTB Ranger 3″ tyres on my Krampus and they’ve been great.

dovebiker

Been running some Velocity Blunt 35s on my 29+ for 10 years.

tazzymtb

Also have a look at sun ringle duroc 50’s great plus rims, and tubeless up super easy.

letmetalktomark

Ah that’s them Durocs. Lightish weight and mine have stayed true but the Duallys still win out IMHO.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Another vote for Dually’s here.
    Right now I have a mix Dually rear and Halo Vapour 50 upfront, can’t fault the Vapour but the Dually has really proven itself. It’s been on various builds and taken a good beating over the years but is rock solid, some good dings in it but no issues with any tubeless setup. Nice simple look to them too. Not that fond of the etched graphics on the Vapour.

tazzymtb

Yep duallys are great, ran a set for 6 years without any problems, running blunt 35’s on one of my 29+ at the moment, got durocs on another 29+ and wtb 40’s on a third

I quite like a 29+

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.