Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 26er FS versus 29er HT
  • heavy_rat
    Free Member

Currently pondering changing from an Anthem 26 to a Superfly HT 29er.

Have been trying to get hold of a 29er demo from my LBS but seems like I will have to wait a while for one in my size.

Pretty intrigued by a 29er especially for the odd race and all day XC rides and occasional trail centre stuff.

How much of a difference might I expect from changing in terms of comfort, speed, efficiency? Used to ride a 26 HT and when I changed to the Anthem I really noticed that its much faster and comfortable over rooty stuff (as expected really).

Anyone else made a similar switch?

st

I switched from a 26″ wheeled Heckler to a Trek Stache 29er earlier last year.

Not really comparable in terms of style of bike but I’ve found the Trek faster but for most of my riding I’d expect to have had some of this from just going to a hardtail.

I’m enjoying mine albeit there is a slight negative difference when it comes to tight and twisty forest singletrack where the Trek can feel a little slow. I put this down to the long wheelbase, wheelsize and wotnot.

NormalMan

I’ve got both. My 26er fs is a Camber (120mm f and r) and my 29er ht is a Carve (100mm forks).

The ht was for the xc jobs of mile munching and the like so use the remote lockout a fair bit, added bar ends, etc. With the fs, it was sold as an xc trail bike, so I’ve tried to dial down the xc and up the trail with a shorter stem for eg.

The idea was ‘fast bike’ and ‘fun bike’ although the ‘fast bike’ seems to be more the ‘go to bike’ now!

I think it really will depend on you and where you ride.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I thought about going for the fast bike, fun bike option but like you I’d probably always go for the fast bike too.

badllama
    Free Member

Yup I’ve both and it’s an idea combo

26″ Spesh Enduro (160 mm travel front and rear) for the Lakes and the rough stuff

29″ Spesh Carve HT (100mm front travel) for everything else including the daily commute

DT78
    Free Member

anthem 26 to scale 29. Faster on the scale, but less comfortable. Depends what you want…. I can ride everything on the HT I used to on the FS just needs more focus.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fuel EX to Stache here.

Loved the Fuel dearly, but moving up North meant it was out of its element (twisty woodland singletrack) a bit.

The Stache is faster most of the time and the way it carries speed really suits the “lots of little bumps” kind of trails I ride most now. I love how it’s almost as quick as a CX bike on road or easy tracks but way more capable than a 26in HT at the same time.

It was an itch I had to scratch and I’m glad I did.

takisawa2

I used to run a 26″FS (Ventana), & a 29″ Inbred, & they complimented each other well because they were so different. The Inbred was a bit heavy, & I’m bang in the middle of a 16″ / 18″, so the 18″ always felt a tiny bit too big.

When I bought my SIR.9 the Ventana was sold off. It fits like a glove (17″), its light, fast & very very comfy. I honestly dont the miss FS at all. I did build one up last summer but rode it twice & missed the Niner both times I rode it.

larrydavid
    Free Member

I went from a Titus FTMc (140mm at each end) to a Cannondale F29 (alloy). Haven’t missed the FS, even in the lakes. It feels far more stable and controllable if little bumpier at times. 8/10 it feels faster than the Titus.

But then again, I’m an XC mincer, and I actually quite liking riding up hills, something the Titus wasn’t great at.

ibnchris

Lucky enough to have a FS 26er and a 29er. It’s not long travel (it’s a Swift) but I find the combo ideal. And to be honest the Swift gets ridden much more than the FS 26er just because there’s less faff with it.

Could be because it’s singlespeed as well though…would recommend keeping the FS 26er if you can and get yourself a cheap rigid SS 29er to see how you get on. Just an idea.

dragon
    Free Member

Giant NRS to a Trek X-Cal here. Way prefer the Trek, the 29er wheels roll so much better and it actually probably has more relaxed geometry than the Giant. Mind I like a bike that’s a bit skittish, rather than totally planted on descents. The Trek certainly climbs better.

z1ppy

I got my 29HT almost exactly a year ago, and love it, but I planned to ride my 26er FS during the summer. Due to a lack of fund, this worked for a month before I had to stop using the FS as the fork needs attention. So ended up riding the 29er HT all year, and though it took some time to adjust , as I’ve ridden FS almost exclusively for 10 years. I’m amazed at what I’ve gotten away with on it, the amount of time it’s saved my bacon, when I’ve suddenly found myself over-cooking it into a situation I hadn’t expected. That said, not all 29er HT’s are the same and it’s only made me want a 29er FS more now….

S_J
    Free Member

My Niner EMD 9 is the best hardtail I’ve ever owned, regardless of wheelsize. However, It doesn’t replace a full susser for me. I used to have an Anthem 26 as well, and it just didn’t feel right once I’d tried a 29er. Also an FS 29er with 100mm of travel is a completely different beast to a 26 FS. It will go further, faster IMHO.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ll be selling my geared 29er HT soon and going back to my ‘all mountain’ 26er which is more fun.

However, I do also have a rigid 29er SS, which is one of the most fun bikes I’ve had the pleasure of riding recently.

jcnm
    Free Member

I changed from 26″ full suspension to 29″ hardtail. Now enjoy riding again. It’s everything they say about being faster etc. Do it you will not regret it.

zippykona

I went to a ht 29 from a fs 26.
    Due to wonky knees I then went to fs29.
    Think I would still be on a hard tail if it wasn’t foe my knees.

Lester
    Free Member

ibis mojo hd and fireline 29er hard tail. i had the same dilemna, so i thought, get a fs 29er now i have 3 (n+1)happy days
    i havent ridden the fs 29er yet so i cant say which is best out of the 3.
    different bikes, for different riding and circumstances

zippykona

Everyone who tried my ht 29 who normally rode fs 26 went on to buy one.

skellnonch
    Free Member

29er HT & FS cant be doing with mixed wheel sizes, race XC on both, the FS in particular is surprisingly adaptable & can still handle trail centres with ease… I tend to stick bigger forks on it for more aggressive trail stuff

njee20
    Free Member

I had a Top Fuel and now have a Superfly frame and a pile of bits sat in my garage, hopefully let you know next weekend…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I went to a 29HT, and not long after, went to a 29FS as well 🙂

On stuff round my local i’m quicker on the HT, for most part on the easy stuff it’s faster everywhere. I do find I really could do with a dropper on it though.

For all out speed on the fun stuff though, the FS still smashes it though.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I have both.

26 FS is still the go to.

29er HT is fun, gives me the legs to keep pace with xc 29er types, who are also on xc 29ers.

On proper stuff (local DH tracks where normal users are on DH bikes), i am way slower on my 29er HT.

Biggest thing for me on the 29er is having lots and lots of grip on fast xc tyres. Goes fast on the smooth stuff but still grips on the fun stuff.

PS 29ers jump/manual/cutty etc etc just fine, they also go through tight spaces just fine. That whole technique rather than equipment thing.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Think I’m sold on the 29er.

Anyone want a giant anthem?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Got a 26 Rocky Mountain and a Superfly. I enjoy the Superfly more, it’s very fast and I tend to pedal myself into the ground every time I ride it (it whispers faster fat boy, faster!) Absolutely wasted my times around Cannock with it when I did a back to back comparison. Most of my riding is South Downs.

TBH I get on the Rocky and it feels a bit of a slug.

chestrockwell

My mate used to have a 26″ FS Marin and 29″ rigid On-One. He liked both but decided he wanted to go Alfine on the Inbred as he used it more often so sold the Marin. Rides the rigid 29er every where now.

I’ve just gone from 26″ FS to 29″ FS and finding it an interesting change. I wouldn’t go 26″ FS to 29″ HT myself though.

Lester
    Free Member

i have, and im really surprised how nice it.
    im not sure if its because ive got something new, but i rarely think of going on the mojo instead of the 29er

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘26er FS versus 29er HT’ is closed to new replies.