Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 26" straight steerer fork upgrade
  • bensaunders

I’m looking to upgrade the undamped Marzocchi forks on my old Marin. Looking to spend about £250. They need to be 120-140mm travel, 1 1/8th straight steerer, 9mm QR axle.

There doesn’t seem to be too many options in that configuration new – so I’m trying to decide if I go for something like a Rockshox Sektor (some good deals on 2014 & 2015 specs at the moment) or a 5-10 year old Fox Float/Fox Vanilla.

Is a mid range new fork going to be better than a high spec fork from a few years ago?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Don’t but a second hand Fox, you won’t be able to get spares.

I’ve got a pair of 2011 RC2 36s in perfect condition, I dread the day the FIT bladder or anything else going wrong, they will only be fit for the bin as you can’t get spares, suspect they have a life cycle of 5 years then Fox pull the plug.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just get the equivalent 650b forks?

qtip

Do Revelations still come in straight steerer? If not, you should be able to find some fairly recent ones 2nd hand. I got some 150mm Revs with a straight steerer – have been great.

docrobster
    Free Member

Revs on crc at the moment in straight steerer but they are £400 and 15mm axle
    650b and straight steerer seems mutually exclusive
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/rockshox-revelation-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109674

P20

There’s a few threads on this, the Germans are listing revs in straight steerers

timber

Just add damping internals from a similar, higher spec fork?

Going through the process with my old Pikes as the MoCo is leaking yet again. Everything else is just fine; skinny steerer, 20mm axle, 26″.
    Really hard to find something equivalent and newish, although there are a lot more 9mm qr about when I searched.

Which reminds me, must phone Loco back for the parts.

Daffy

dirtydog – Member
    Don’t but a second hand Fox, you won’t be able to get spares.

I’ve got a pair of 2011 RC2 36s in perfect condition, I dread the day the FIT bladder or anything else going wrong, they will only be fit for the bin as you can’t get spares, suspect they have a life cycle of 5 years then Fox pull the plug.

Just buy some newer forks with the same Stanchion diameter and swap your uppers onto them.

Daffy

OP, if you’re patient and want a Fox Fork, put a saved search onto ebay and wait for a very late model Fox with Kashima Coating. 2012/2013 was the last year of the straight steerer and straight steerer Kashima are hard to come by. I’d consider going 15mm TA though if I were you.

DT Swiss forks are often available with a straight steerer on ebay.

Clicky link to ebay with DT XMC 130

Clicky link to even cheaper perfect spec DT forks

devash
    Free Member

If weight isn’t a problem then you can’t go wrong with these coil Sektors;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-sektor-gold-rl-dual-position-coil-15mm-2016/rp-prod109678

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just buy some newer forks with the same Stanchion diameter and swap your uppers onto them.

How would that work if I blew the bladder (not an uncommon occurrence)?

welshfarmer

I have some X-Fusion velvets in that configuration so they are an option to consider. However, whether you can still get new I doubt it anymore. Bound to be second hand ones about though

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben where do you see those Sektors ? I have some on my BFe and would like some for a Prince Albert frame too

survivor

I’ve got a 2010 fox 36 Float RC2 I’ve just taken off my old bike. Set at 150mm but I can lower for you as I have the spacers. 200mm steerer 1-1/8

don’t believe dirty dog the parts are still available. Part no. is 803-00-149

somafunk

Not wanting to gatecrash your thread with a sly FS post but i have These Fox Talas for sale

dirtydog
    Free Member

don’t believe dirty dog the parts are still available. Part no. is 803-00-149

Well F*** me sideways, had it on good advice that you could no longer buy those parts for 2011 Fox 36s.

I am quite relieved that you still can, thanks for the info and apologies for getting it so wrong! 😳

Will be contacting Mojo tomorrow to order kit.

dirtydog
    Free Member

@survivor Just ordered a set from Germany to keep in my spares box.

Nice one!

survivor

Well that’s a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a hate filed reply as usually happens when folk disagree on the Internet!

My pleasure though. May your forks give you many years of oil damped happiness 😀

dirtydog
    Free Member

😀

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fox F32 100L 2011 model in perfect nick with little use. £100 if you want them.
    (last time I looked spares are readily available).

bensaunders

@jambalaya Sektors were on Evans, although looking back they are 15mm axles.
    Looks like going to 15mm opens up way more options so I’ll probably do that – I guess I’ll need a new front hub for that though?
    Thanks for your help – a satisfied first poster!

BigDummy
    Free Member
    timdrayton
    Free Member

Wilburt

If he isnt interested in your forks i am

Pics and price pls to timdrayton@live.co.uk

bensaunders

Go for it Tim – I wanted something longer than 100mm

mattyfez

In the market for similar forks myself, those marzoochi ones look interesting, but doesn’t look like there’s an option to buy them on the website.. Unless I’m going blind, lol! Anyone got opinions on these?

rossburton
    Free Member

LoCo sold me a 26er straight steerer Revelation for ~300 quid last year, and adjusted the travel down to 120mm for my bike before shipping.

nick1962
    Free Member

Those Marzocchi ones are cheap,nasty looking and the controls flimsy and plasticky in the flesh,I send mine back.Can recommend the DT Swiss e bay ones from that Polish shop bikestacja but they were 15mm.Wouldn’t it be easier/cheaper in the long run to get a new adaptable front hub? BTW I have a set of black air Revs,140mm travel,1 1/8 steerer ,9mm qr,195mm steerer,possibly 2012 if anyone’s interested.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘26" straight steerer fork upgrade’ is closed to new replies.