Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 25000ft of climbing in 198 miles. is it a lot ?
  • ton

is 25000 feet of climbing in 198 offroad miles a lot of climbing?

sargey

If i remember correctly the coast to coast is around 210 miles and 28000ft of climbing.

iolo
    Free Member

25,000 foot is 7,620m. 198 miles is about 319 kilometers. So you’re climbing 23.8 meters per kilometer. Do you think thats a lot?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes and it will feel like it with 198 mile sin the legs

jam-bo

Fred Whitton is 112m & 12,000ft if I remember correctly and that’s generally considered one of the toughest sportives in the UK.

taxi25
    Free Member

That would be a huge ride, but in terms of miles to high gained it would be fairly normal for a Mtb event. The Brecon Beast for instance has more or less the same ratio.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

When I was in Manchester, riding out of Marple was about 100ft per mile average, the Peaks was closer to 200ft per mile. You’re closer to 100 with those numbers, so it’s not a mega hilly route. But it’ll obviously be a killer!

dpfr

I find anything above 100 feet per mile is pretty tough, and I do a lot fewer than 198 miles in a ride. The Highland Trail 550 works out at just under 100 feet climbing per mile. So the climb per mile in your route is quite a lot, and the number of miles will make it seriously hard.

scaredypants

that’s about 9 and a half miles of climbing plus descending (assuming it’s a circular route). Average gradient (including up or down) of 5%. sounds bloody orrible to me

Have you done the south downs way ? It’s pretty much the same as a “there & back” I think

badbob
    Free Member

done the White Peak ride, thats 60 miles and 5400 feet of climbing, was destroyed 😳

br
    Free Member

I’ve done nearly 60 miles over two rides this weekend, just over 7,000ft of climbing. So about the same ratio – how many days?

butcher

That’s a massive amount of climbing. Generally on the road, 1000ft per 10 miles is a lot. That’s around about what you’d do on something like the Fred Whitton, climbing the mountain passes of the lake district, give or take, depending who’s telling you the elevation profile.

For mountain biking, when you’re hiking up and down the side of a mountain repeatedly, it’s fairly tame. But what’s your average mountain bike ride? 15? 20 miles?

Depends on the context. 20 miles a day, a doddle. All in one go…….sod that.

butcher

If i remember correctly the coast to coast is around 210 miles and 28000ft of climbing.

MTB coast to coast? The usual one from Whitehaven to Sunderland/Tynemouth is around 135 miles and 12,500ft climbing. And there’s some chunky climbs in that, through the heart of the North Pennines.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes

sockpuppet

South Downs way has around 10,000ft of ascent in 100 miles, making the double 20k in 200.

It feels hilly, and I’ve only done one way, not the double. All in all I agree with:

5thelefant

Yes

bob_summers

hmmm, on the roads around here, I’d have to look for 2300m per 100km. That’s pretty hilly. Off road, depends on the profile – shark teeth, lots of carrying, etc, or longer sustained climbs.

And the total climbing – is it from a mapping website? IME their estimates are way over.

ton

this will be over 6 days, starting next saturday.
    little bit worried now……. 😐

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s not a lot of climbing at all, on a per mile basis. 30 miles a day sounds pretty chilled, you’ll be just ace.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘25000ft of climbing in 198 miles. is it a lot ?’ is closed to new replies.