Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2.4 Mountain King II too fat!
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My new bike arrived today unexpectedly, which was good, but the wheels and tyres I had prepared are causing issues. The rear tyre is fouling on the bottom brace, so I need another slightly smaller option. 29er tyres with a bit of grrr wanted.

The obvious solution is a 2.2 MK II, but wondering if a pair of something else may be better as everyone tells me I shall die running non-black chilli/German Contis

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

No one???

BearBack
    Free Member

too fat or too tall?

(from 26 experience)
    2.4mk2 has less carcass with than a 2.2 Rubber Queen

2.2 mk2 is a we bit skinny although more normal from a height perspective.

I ran a 2.4mk2 up front and a 2.2mk2 rear for a whole season on a Scott Genius and did fine. Prefer the 2.4 though but you migt be fine with 2.2 on a 29.

sillyoldman

Only BC options on the MKII are on the 2.2 size .

Prefer bigger tyres, but 2.2 BC pisses all over the non-BC 2.4

DickBarton

I’ve not found any real difference running the Black Chilli compound – I’m clearly a bag of spanners on the bike and therefore not riding it hard enough to get the difference…

Saying that, I’m running BC rubber now and I’m too lazy to change the tyres so they will be on it until they wear out…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Too tall is the problem as opposed to too fat. The central portion is rubbing against the stay.

I may get a 2.2 at some stage, but decided to give the On-One Smorgasbord/Chunky Monkey a go for the moment as they are on offer. The plan is to build a hardtail 29er over the year so the big Conti’s will find a home yet 🙂

Vinnyc
    Free Member

The 2.2 29er mountain kings are very small, my rubber queens were much bigger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2.4 Mountain King II too fat!’ is closed to new replies.