Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 284 total)
  • 2018 Films , and we're off…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Looking forward to this one, but will wait until I’m actually in a quiet place (my front room) to watch it. The sound of people munching/texting/chatting is bad enough during a regular noisy film.

There was an article on the BBC the other day about noisy eaters being shamed into shutting up by this film. This can only be a good thing.

I saw it in a full screen in the Leicester Square Cineworld and, fortunately, the munching was mercifully quiet. There were people walking out with virtually full bags of popcorn 😀

slowoldman

Death of Stalin.

OK maybe it’s late 2017 but I missed it at the cinema and just got it on DVD.

brassneck

Saw Ready Player One last week – doesn’t follow the book but none the worse for it (and I was a big fan). Want to watch it again, in 3D and watch the background. Good updating to capture current zeitgeist (Tracer!!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was an article on the BBC the other day about noisy eaters being shamed into shutting up by this film. This can only be a good thing.

😀

It was the subject of The People’s Playlist on Tom Ravenscroft filling in for Lauren on 6music this morning.

donks
    Free Member

Watched ” you were never really here” with Joachim Phoenix in and its was pretty good. Absolutely brutal and pretty bleak but one of the better films seen this year.

rone

Thanks for that Donks. I need to see that. Forgot about it.

DezB
    Free Member

Funny, after I mentioned how good Claire Foy’s American acting was in Unsane, to have watched Ready Player One with so many Brits putting on shit American accents! What’s up with having US actors in a US film ffs??

rmacattack
    Free Member

Watched ‘a quiet place’ because of this thread. Very enjoyable movie to watch, but serious plot holes and questions. Kept me watching to the end and didn’t seem to be long and that in my books is good enough.

thebees
    Free Member

Was really disappointed with ‘A quiet place’ . It’s massively over hyped  for an unoriginal  alien invasion movie. Plot holes galore and frankly large parts of it are plain slow/dull. Sicario 2 looks a corker though !

mikey74
    Free Member

Plot holes galore

Such as?

rmacattack
    Free Member

They could have built a shelter beside the waterfall and lived not as stealth and instead of trekking for fish. 3 creatures in a few hundred square km’s of area, yet appear in seconds, arms sharp enough to cut almost everything , but a car roof is impossible. I could go on.

mikey74
    Free Member

They could have built a shelter beside the waterfall and lived not as stealth and instead of trekking for fish. 3 creatures in a few hundred square km’s of area, yet appear in seconds, arms sharp enough to cut almost everything , but a car roof is impossible. I could go on.

– Perhaps the ground around the waterfall wasn’t suitable for building a home?

– Given their hearing is so sensitive, they could be quite a long way away and still hear. Having said that, if their aim is to stamp out all noise-making creatures, they would most likely stay in an area where they have heard sounds until it has been cleared of said noise-making people.

– Sharp doesn’t always equate to hard.

I agree, it’s not a perfect film (I thought they played a little loose with the noise thing), but none of it really detracted from the film, IMO.

Drac

Well that’s A Quiet Place ruined for some. Nice one.

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t open a thread discussing the latest films, then.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Could one of you or Cougar get in and

Spoiler for tag

it? I like this thread but have to keep scrolling past the last few posts as I haven’t seen AQP yet and really want to.

DezB
    Free Member

Ditto

mikey74
    Don’t open a thread discussing the latest films, then.

Yes: “The latest films” – only a dick would post spoilers.

sofaking
    Free Member

watched “Hostiles” over the weekend and thought it was terrific

also “you were never really here” which I thought was good in parts but didnt like the way it was edited

DezB
    Free Member

Saw ‘You Were Never Really Here’ – amazing film. The way close-ups, background noise, flashbacks and music were used was so… maybe not unique, but really clever and striking. Not like anything I’ve seen anyway. Very dark film, but excellent. Joaquin is superb as always.

Film called ‘Thoroughbreds’ was advertised before it. Also looks great.

rone

Thoroughly enjoyed Avengers: Infinity War. An impressive baddie – well realised, and a big chunk of the MCU go hell for leather in this fairly bold Marvel film.

It was maybe just one notch too much in terms of characters and action but it was so well put together that it just draws you in. Some really great quieter moments too.

Loved the ending – though I fear it will be reversed in the next film quite quickly as it’s a Kill Bill scenario.

They did a good job with making the characters feel<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> less invincible than normal.</span>

Will say no more.

paton
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Saw trailer for Hereditary when I went to see the (very average) A Quiet Place. This one looks like a good horror…

10/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Out next month I believe.

Shame about the title. I don’t even know how to say it. hereditry hereditairy hêreditry herêditry ..?

martinhutch

The idea that this trailer:

was accidentally put up prior to a packed showing of Peter Rabbit in Australia is hilarious.

Looks ace, that one.

DezB
    Free Member

Was it?! Brilliant. The director did call it a “family film” 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just got my Odean Liimitless card, kicked it off with Infinity War looking forward to catching some more of these – so a plea for spoiler free reviews guys, just put a little thought in or start a spoiler thread for the film

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just seen Deadpool 2. More of the same, so I loved it. Brolin is really good at not acting.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just seen Deadpool 2. More of the same, so I loved it.

Exactly!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well late to the party but an Odeon pass and some Rental DL’s I’m back in the game!

Avengers – awesome bang crash laugh

Black Panther – good, nice role swaps and balance, plus Bilbo

Deadpool 2 – laughs all the way

Mollys Game – slick, fast, slow, Sorkin all the way – the opening monologue was perfect 🙂

I Tonya – Well Margot is great!!

3 Billboards – Wow!! want to love and hate them all at the same time – just before I watched it I heard Mayo’s interview with Gandalf – how do you play the con man, you just play the man. Perfect direction for anyone is this film, play a human being and let the story do it’s work.

Justice League – well no.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Having a beer before going in to see Solo in 20 mins. Feel strangely unexcited.

Bloody Last Jedi for ruining the franchise (again!).

thepurist

Fwiw I’m now reading “Ready Player One” and loving it. Glad I hadn’t read it before seeing the film though as I think I’d have been disappointed by the adaptation.

Edit – Solo tomorrow night, feels like we’re seeing it out of duty rather than desire though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loved it!

thepurist

Thanks eddie, now I’m going to see it out of a sense of duty and a bit of desire 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>Very happy about the Solo Big Boss man</span>

rene59
    Free Member

Loved the book, be interested to see if they make a good film from it.

rone

Solo – very enjoyable overall. Felt it was slightly top heavy with the best stuff in the first half.

It doesn’t hit the highest Star Wars highs but is at least consistent and no real evidence of the Director fall-out on screen.

Characters are fairly well done, though I feel Han Solo himself didn’t quite have enough screen presence for me.

Cinematography is excellent and the universe is suitably gritty and convincing with a really down-beat colour palette that is far removed from the others films. I really liked the tone of the film – a great balance of stuff for the kids and the older kids.

CGI is top drawer in that it blends perfectly into the practical environment. Music is Scrappy though, can’t work out what it wants to be.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oceans 8….

[Kermode] Well they looked like they had fun making it [/Kermode]

It’s probably a testament to the fact Brad & George are good friends that they work so well and so fast together, this doesn’t quite hit that, was a freebie preview screening so nothing lost but certainly more a catch it on Netflix kind of a film sadly

Caher

I’ve heard Hereditary is well rated but since even thinking of the Ring causes bowel movement I’ll have to pass.

househusband

I really enjoyed ‘Den of Thieves’ – reminded me a bit of ‘Heat’, a slow-burning film – it is quite long!  I see that there’s a ‘Den of Thieves 2’ in the pipeline too, according to IMDB.

rone

Looking forward to the Suspiria remake.

coomber
    Free Member

Watch Cargo on netflix last week (Martin Freeman – straight to Netflix as they do now). Well worth a watch.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Some good suggestions here – gives me plenty to watch.

I watched Game Night last night.  Not too taxing on the old grey matter (so ideal for me) – but just good fun and very funny in places.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘2018 Films , and we're off…’ is closed to new replies.